World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Mariner 4 inflatable with a Shakespeare 44 or 54 electric outboard, for fishing within the Fowey estuary. Do you think this would be suitable? Also would this cope with in shore fishing around the rock and 2-300 yds off shore in appropriate sea and wind conditions?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I tried a 36 lb thrust on a 10' Quicksilver inflatable. Had a job pushing against any sort of breeze - even on freshwater.
The idea of trying in tidal waters did not grow on me at all.
Perhaps for going a few hundred yards on a dinghy used as a tender they might be a good idea. I would only use them in circumstances where I could row home if the battery ran flat.
Really sheltered backwaters might be good though. Lovely and quite.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I would have to give you a very firm NO WAY!!
I spent several years on my childhood in Fowey and worked the school holidays on Staar Boats self drive and a couple of charter boats.
As you know parts of the estuary are steep sided cliffs. The funneling affect of wind through these areas are far more than an electric motor could handle and far more than oars in an inflateable could overcome.
Sometimes I rowed from Albert Quay to Pridmouth bay in a heavy clinker 12ft boat 'wiffing' with live sand eels, so I know just what you fancy doing. A great idea and beautifull scenery, but please do it with a petrol O/B of at least 4hp.

Afishionado

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you for your comments....another bad idea of mine bites the dust. I guess you have just saved the lifeboat a trip out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts