World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iwill be in Newquay from 20/9/2008 for 1 week and would appreciate any help or advice on shore fishing,marks, tackle,bait and the like. Would love to try spinning for pollack,and bass etc would this be possible at that time of year?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi peteb

Theres quite a few good marks around newquay and the surrounding area. You can catch a wide variety of species around newquay headland from maccies to the odd conger, wrasse around there love king rag I also had my first bass off of there spinning frozen sandeel. Porth headland is a good spot went fishing there 4 days ago spinning frozen sandeel and had a couple of pollock.
The east side of fistral beach is also a good spot for bass as is little fistral.
I am fairly new to sea fishing but i hope that helps. Maybe even see you on the rocks! :thumbs:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply i'll give it a go,you say you were spinning sandeels frozen what sort of rig do you use and would artificials like sidewinders work? also could you recommend a tackleshop in the area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been to Newquay a few times, there are a few shop selling fishing gear but the best is on the main road, just past the turn off to the Harbour. Sells all you will need plus has stocks of king rag at good prices.

The harbour wall is also a good spot on bigger tides to feather for mackerel.

Have done some snorkelling in the area and can confirm that the rocks between fistral and litle fistral are a good place to spin as I have seen many good sized bass mooching around that area. It is also covered by many shoals of small sandeel so I would hazard a guess that that should be the best bait to spin with.

Have also seen many good sized wrasse darting among the rocks and weed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Very simple rig. A running ledger with 4oz weight. 3ft 12lb leader with a size 1/0 aberdeen. Its as simple as that but very effective. I havent tried artificials but its worth a shot ill give them a go and let you know how i get on.

Theres 2 tackle shops. Well ones a market stall in the indoor market in newquay. The main one is in the town itself opposite burger king. Its got everything you could need and a wide variety of bait.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Iwill be in Newquay from 20/9/2008 for 1 week and would appreciate any help or advice on shore fishing,marks, tackle,bait and the like. Would love to try spinning for pollack,and bass etc would this be possible at that time of year?
http://www.martins-seafresh.co.uk/Fishing/Fishing_Newquay.htm

This gives a good summary of a few spots and methods around there.

Early morning and late evening are good times and if you fish a beach fish to the right side of it in general.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Theres 2 tackle shops. Well ones a market stall in the indoor market in newquay. The main one is in the town itself opposite burger king. Its got everything you could need and a wide variety of bait.
It's got everything you need if you don't mind being seriously ripped off and being spoken to like a pleb by the owner.....there aint too many Newquay boys that frequent that place. He is just there to skank the tourists. There are very good tackle shops in every town aside from Newquay so best off going elsewhere matey.

As for spinning marks try splash point on the left hand side (if your looking seaward) of fistral beach. park on the pentire end of the beach (free) and stroll down the flat footpaths to your desired mark. Macky, bass and wrasse. Take plugs, wedges and tobies.

You will also get Pollock to jellies off of any of the deep water headlands around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts