World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Am asking for some advice on Goldcliff. Fancy fishing down there and since Redwick is a no go area with my car ( ground clearance on the farm road ), Goldcliff seems a good alternative since it is practically the same sort of venue. Went down there today for a nose and parking was very easy - 30 secs from the sea wall. Went up the steps to the shore. Is fishing normally good here?

Does the tide come all the way up to the wall and if so how long is the bottom of the wall submerged? Dont fancy going down on the peat. Have lost a pair of waders in Redwick, dont want to lose them again!!!

Any info (baits/species/marks) would be gratefully received. Many thanks and tight lines

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just for you.
Winter Cod Spring tides fish around the point on the left at high water. Neap tides, less that 10 metres Newport scale, fish at the point on the right low water.

Summer sole walk through the houses on the right, fish neap tides, calm seas, ragworm baits.

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Greetings all.

mph1954,

I fish Goldcliff on and off, and have walked between the 2 big house's, but couldnt see a route down to the beach (mud!) is it just a case of scrambling down the rocks? . Is this area called farm fields as well? Have heard the area mentioned quite a lot but never fished it. Be gratefull if anyone could give me directions to there if it isnt (by email if you like :) )

Back to goldcliff,

The point to your left at the top of the steps is also very good for conger (straps) had them to 11lb in the summer. I usally fish past the point on the left over high, and the point on the right from 1 hour after low up. On springs I normally fish the bays (especially in summer for flatties), as the tide is to strong on the points. Dont ignore Redwick mind, It can be slow, but I had my best ever shore cod of 11.5lb there last season ;)

Tight lines

Tony

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is a scramble down the rocks. You can fish off the clay ledge early on in the tide. If the tide is small enough there is a shingle bank to fish off. You can see farm fields after walking through the houses.
I've had sole from the bay on the higher tides and the odd conger from the point on the right.

Cheers
Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts