World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Info on headlamps

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  lewis barnes 
#1 ·
Hi lads ive got about 100-150 to spend on a new headlamp, whats the best around, any info would be most welcome

cheers

#2 ·
I use a tiga which is brilliant,Im also impressed with the Princeton tec Apex as a smaller,lighter option-the light output is incredible for such a small unit,and with 70 hours duration from a set of aa batteries it would have to be near the top of the list if I was looking for a new headlamp.

#3 ·
i have had loads and loads and i forked out to get a good one and went for a speleo night raider paid £77 and its topa 10w and 20w bulb u get a good fishing sesh out of it but it takes 16 hours to charge heard the tiga`s are not that good the bulbs going on the and the mfa ones the wire on them is kak thats wh y they sell them as spares if i had the money u have got i would go for the samalite

#5 ·
Nowt wrong with Tiga bulbs,I got mine over 3 years ago and the original bulbs are still working perfectly.
Gotta agree there,i got my TIGA 3 years ago and still got the same bulbs in,also got an MFA dual zoom,but as Shaun says the wire is crap and lets down what is generally a good headlamp,been fishing with Shaunsafc and his speeloe is good,but i gotta say i prefer the tiga

#10 ·
Snab point 2004 candle nicked from me nana 6 boxes of matches-a howling n-easterly blowing me candle in jar oot,cowped me ankle on the front of snab-bornt off all me eyebrows and caught a decent fish in the pitch black northumbrian winter,canny night by my standards.
Jim will also vouch for me standing in the north sea with me trainers on in the winter just to try and get rid of me demons.
since then a petzl cheapo deluxe has done the biz....take care sixo

#12 ·
I decided to forget all of the overpriced old hat and went for something new. A silva with a 3watt led. It's very powerful. It comes with head band battery holders and a belt battery holder so I've put 4 nimh 5ah c cells in that. No more lead acid battery problems or bulb problems either as the led will last for at least 100,000hrs.
They can be found on the web for £60 including postage but I got mine on a £37 bid on ebay.

John

#14 ·
Snab point 2004 candle nicked from me nana 6 boxes of matches-a howling n-easterly blowing me candle in jar oot,cowped me ankle on the front of snab-bornt off all me eyebrows and caught a decent fish in the pitch black northumbrian winter,canny night by my standards.
Jim will also vouch for me standing in the north sea with me trainers on in the winter just to try and get rid of me demons.
since then a petzl cheapo deluxe has done the biz....take care sixo
i WILL DEFO VOUCH FOR THE TRAINERS LARK ROY MATE,AND YA WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO BRING US SOME RAG DOWN AS WELL
CHEERS MATE

#16 ·
tiga wins hands down everytime stay away from any mfa had the led one and had to have it replaced 4 times due to crappy wires and bad solidering, got to admit there service was good stright swap for new ones each time, do u think they have had this problem before, hummmm let me think

#18 ·
i've got a tiga SL12 and wouldn't be without it. i would recomend buying a titan sling that goes over your shoulder and your waste.

i've also swapped the 6watt bulb for a 5w bulb. it gives a duller light with is better for close work, doesn't blind people, gives more chance of not putting off a bass and makes the battery last longer. i've only had one bulb go in 8 months, which aint bad considering it gets turn on and off all the time.

or you could go for a second hand samalite to fit the budget, they're meant to be very good but a bit pricey.

#20 ·
I wouldn't be without my Tiga SL12- it's akin to fishing in daylight- well not quite but it makes life a hell of a lot easier- admittedly they're pricey but worth their weight in gold.Others on the beach have been v. grateful when I've illuminated their crossed lines.
Yea I love my tiga now, not only makes things much easier but makes me feel safer fishing at night :fish:

#21 ·
I've got a samelite HL100, which is a good piece of kit. I also got the flood head unit, which is the square one... :D

Battery will last all night no bother and the light level is great. Battery is light, you don't really know you have it on.

Down side is I think they are one of the more expensive lights.

#22 ·
I've got a samelite HL100, which is a good piece of kit. I also got the flood head unit, which is the square one... :D

Battery will last all night no bother and the light level is great. Battery is light, you don't really know you have it on.

Down side is I think they are one of the more expensive lights.
i agrey the samalite is a very good headlamp but id go for the beam head unit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.