World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going to pwllheli for aweeks holiday week after next can anyone give me any info on marks rigs baits etc

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi there.

Pwllheli is fishing well now.

We had around 30ish bream on Sunday, as well as over 100 mackerel over 3 days, but they seem to be close in at times. We had 2 garfish, numerous dogfish and 6 double figure bullhuss, 2 thornback ray and we saw the dolphins too!

Standard bream tackle on the beach but feel for the bites as they are fast.

They should be coming off the beach well soon too, particularly by the time you go!

Again, hope this helps,

Ed2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Are there any particular marks on the beach for the bream or are they quite widespread throughout?
:unsure:

·
Registered
449 Posts
We are off to pwllheli in the morning mark so I will let you know how we got on amd what we did when we get back.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We normally have around 100 bream a day around 400 yards off Gimlet Rock. You should have plenty of takes casting from the rock!

If you can, hold the rod and even better, use braided mainline to feel for bites.

When you get the bite which feels like a machine gun, lower the rod and take up the slack in your spare hand immediately, keeping the line tight this way. Then say 'good morning mr. bream' and lift the rod and you should have the fish on. If not, tighten up, let the rod hit the bottom and wait for the next bite. We careful though, they will strip your bait.

Use mackerel strips, very thin strips and make sure the hook point is always in the meat as they pull the meat away from the skin. Try a three hook paternoster rig or you could try using a rig with a single 4-5 foot snood. Use no bigger than a size 4 hook.

It is down to trial and error to learn to hook the fish. You need to do all you can to make sure you feel the bite. Use as light gear as you can possible get away with!

Cheers,

Ed

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
been told 3 hours to high is the best.
used a shrimp rig under a float to keep it off bottom. ie. the float is under water its just to keep the rig vertical, weight is on bottom. used tiny pieces of rag and squid

·
Registered
7 Posts
im going to give pwhelli beach a go in the next couple of weeks. im thinking of taking my 2ib carp rod and 10lb line. with a 2oz pear lead with 3 booms. i fancy fishing light.
do u think it will work or will i be fishing to light.

anthony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts