World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv currently got a avon searider 4m rib wth a 30hp yam on the back. as much as I love it cheap to run tow ect its a little cold in the winter. iv been offered a 535 with a 50 marina 2stroke pretty cheap. what are your guys thoughts on these. I want something with a cabin s can warm up and make a brew on the colder days.
. how stable are they
. can you fish 2 - 3 people on them
.is the 50 ample enough for her

im still gonna keep the rib as it don't cost me nothing as I keep her in my garage. will be using the 535 down milford haven and Swansea ect wll she be capable enough for this. thanks in advance chris

·
Registered
139 Posts
iv currently got a avon searider 4m rib wth a 30hp yam on the back. as much as I love it cheap to run tow ect its a little cold in the winter. iv been offered a 535 with a 50 marina 2stroke pretty cheap. what are your guys thoughts on these. I want something with a cabin s can warm up and make a brew on the colder days. . how stable are they . can you fish 2 - 3 people on them .is the 50 ample enough for her im still gonna keep the rib as it don't cost me nothing as I keep her in my garage. will be using the 535 down milford haven and Swansea ect wll she be capable enough for this. thanks in advance chris
Very stable boats back in the day but still popular never the less.
A 50 is more than adequate as there rated to a 60 but I've seen them with 70-80 2 strokes.
2-3 anglers is fine but 2 would be more comfortable but I would say go for it mate.
Jamie

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
50 hp is the smallest engine you'd want but it will be fine. Plenty of room for 2 but crowded with 3.
They are good tough boats. Check for movement in the deck and in the transom, both should be rock solid.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
The Shetland 535 is one of the most stable boats you will ever come across.
Mine has a 60hp engine, you will struggle a bit with a 50hp as they are a little on the heavy side, which is where that stability comes from.
It would take 3, but it's much more comfortable with 2 and would have no problems operating out of Swansea.
The cabin is big and allows me to leave all my rods, tackle, tools etc in the cabin.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
There's a video somewhere on YouTube showing one planing with a 25hp engine, so 50hp will be fine - many years ago our family and the Suntrip version (slightly smaller cabin, larger cockpit) and that would pull a skier with a 35hp and when we upped it to a 50 it would pull a mono skier.

The biggest difference you will notice after your Searider is the ride in a chop - after a Searider which gives a fantastic ride in a rough sea for its size, you will find the Shetland slams quite a bit - but the extra space and ease of moving around the boat compared to a RIB should make up for it.

A wise move to keep both boats I'd say, both are at their best in very different conditions so you will have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats why im planning on keeping the rib as in summer months down the haven it will be a good cheap day out with the 30hp. and for the 535 im not really bothered about the speed but would want somthing that if the sea turns there is enough power there to get me out of a bad situation. i will need to get a aux tho, what hp would you recomend, my father got a 7.5 hp 4 stroke there will this be a bit on the heavy side for a aux??

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
A 50hp engine should get you to about 15 knots, my 60hp gets me to about 24 knots, but with the average sea conditions in my area 12 - 15 knots is about the average I can do and I wouldn't even entertain having anything less than 50hp unless you were just poodling around in a harbour, I'm thinking about putting a 70hp on my 535 for those times when I can open the throttle for those marks that are 12 - 15 miles out.

If I had a 35hp engine on my 535 I doubt it would get out of the habour on the ebb.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
A 50hp engine should get you to about 15 knots, my 60hp gets me to about 24 knots, but with the average sea conditions in my area 12 - 15 knots is about the average I can do and I wouldn't even entertain having anything less than 50hp unless you were just poodling around in a harbour, I'm thinking about putting a 70hp on my 535 for those times when I can open the throttle for those marks that are 12 - 15 miles out.
I don't think you would see that much drop off from a 60 to a 50 - ours used to do 18 knots with the 35 and 24 with the 50 and that was in the days when engines were rated at the crankshaft rather than the prop so the 50 would be a 45 today. A friend's 535 with a 25 used to be able to get to around 15 knots.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I don't think you would see that much drop off from a 60 to a 50 - ours used to do 18 knots with the 35 and 24 with the 50 and that was in the days when engines were rated at the crankshaft rather than the prop so the 50 would be a 45 today. A friend's 535 with a 25 used to be able to get to around 15 knots.
One of the 535's in the boatyard has a 40hp and at WOT it does about 15 knots, maybe mine is a bit slower because of all the gear on the boat and I've propped it down a bit so that at WOT it only does 4600 revs instead of 5000 revs, which protects the engine a bit as it's 10 years old.

The 50hp engines that were fitted to the original 535's were short shaft engines, the newer 535's had either a 40hp or 60hp long shaft engine fitted, my boat was one of the older boats with the short shaft engine, but I had the transom built up to take the 60hp engine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 30hp mariner two stroke on mine which is good for 17 knots with a clean bottom I have a 50 in my garage serviced and ready to go on in spring I think it should be an ideal size.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a 30hp mariner two stroke on mine which is good for 17 knots with a clean bottom I have a 50 in my garage serviced and ready to go on in spring I think it should be an ideal size.
no good in the garage mate get the 50 on there lol,, I have run along side and clocked you at 17 so the 50 should give you 25 ish I think

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
no good in the garage mate get the 50 on there lol,, I have run along side and clocked you at 17 so the 50 should give you 25 ish I think
If you can get 25 knots from a 50hp then my GPS must be giving me duff info, as I can only get 24 knots from my 60hp, although that's fully laden with all my tackle and gear

As the season wears on and the hull attracts more barnacles and weed that will slow down to about 17 knots by the end of the season.

·
Registered
11,701 Posts
If you can get 25 knots from a 50hp then my GPS must be giving me duff info, as I can only get 24 knots from my 60hp, although that's fully laden with all my tackle and gear.
I've propped it down a bit so that at WOT it only does 4600 revs instead of 5000 revs, which protects the engine a bit as it's 10 years old.
I would guess the prop is your problem - WOT rpm on your engine should be 5000-5500 - I would aim to be closer to the 5500 - at 4600 you probably have less than 50hp acutally pushing your boat. Conventional wisdom would also say that you're actually causing extra stress on the engine by being overpropped - like a car constantly straining up hill in too high a gear is the analogy I've been given by those who know more on the subject than me.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I would guess the prop is your problem - WOT rpm on your engine should be 5000-5500 - I would aim to be closer to the 5500 - at 4600 you probably have less than 50hp acutally pushing your boat. Conventional wisdom would also say that you're actually causing extra stress on the engine by being overpropped - like a car constantly straining up hill in too high a gear is the analogy I've been given by those who know more on the subject than me.
A couple of other people have told me this as well and I know I'm only just in to the power band, maybe I will look at getting a new prop, but they are so expensive, might be worth going to my next boat jumble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 535 with a 50hp and although I can get on the plane ok, if you have 2 or 3 up with fuel and tackle I would suggest at least a 60 or preferably a70. As said by others they are a heavy boat which does make it a stable fishing platform. They are seaworthy too, as when I got mine I brought her by sea from Plymouth to Fowey no problems. Mine is the small cuddy version rather than the sit in cabin so is a little lighter than the boat you are interested in. It will definitely be a different boat to your rib. A good idea to keep your other boat though. A man can never have too many boats or sheds!
Good luck with whatever you get.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 535 suntrip with a 40hp twin and it performs v/well being a bit lighter than the full cabin version ,the boat is very stable and strongly built ,mine was built in 1973 and is still very stiff , it has lots of room for two but would be crowded with three even the bigger cockpit of the suntrip ,i bought it because it has a hoodini hatch for anchoring so can stand in the cabin getting the anchor up as i mainly fish on my own so dont have to go out of the cockpit at all ,a good all round fishing dinghy at a cheap price ,under 2000 for every thing including a snipe breakback trailer ,i have been using it for three years now and very pleased ,
Bazza ,

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I have a 535 with a 50hp and although I can get on the plane ok, if you have 2 or 3 up with fuel and tackle I would suggest at least a 60 or preferably a70. As said by others they are a heavy boat which does make it a stable fishing platform. They are seaworthy too, as when I got mine I brought her by sea from Plymouth to Fowey no problems. Mine is the small cuddy version rather than the sit in cabin so is a little lighter than the boat you are interested in. It will definitely be a different boat to your rib. A good idea to keep your other boat though. A man can never have too many boats or sheds!
Good luck with whatever you get.
I agree that a 70hp engine would be better and I may look at getting one next year, but I think it's the gear on the boat that is restricting my WOT speed to 24 knots as I've got a lot of gear, two anchors, tools etc, I even used to have the kitchen sink, but I removed it about 3 years ago.

Steveh24

1 - 19 of 19 Posts