World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does this term mean?

heavily laid up GRP

I know the GRP but heavily laid up is a new one to me.

G

·
What exactly does this term mean?

heavily laid up GRP

I know the GRP but heavily laid up is a new one to me.
My understanding is that it means that it is laid thicker than it would usually be on the hull sides for instance.
Anywhere that needs extra support and strength would be more 'heavily laid up'.

·
Premium Member
38,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that it means that it is laid thicker than it would usually be on the hull sides for instance.
Anywhere that needs extra support and strength would be more 'heavily laid up'.
Thanks, I have been asking seller for more info no luck to date.

·
Registered
579 Posts
may be wrong but did it not refer to the thinkness(weight) of the meshed glass matt that they used and how many layers of the stuff was put on pre 1985??as Ron says it was used for work boats.We had a cheverton 27 which was a heavily laid up,she was built in the 70's as a ferry boat then in the 80's as a workboat and 90's as a charterboat..sad thing is the hull is up the top of the pill at the mo,not been touched for years..nowt wrong with the hull after that working life

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Most manurfacturers will if asked do a heavy lay up

usually done more for comercials i have seen orkneys wilsons and others with the heavy lay up

these boats are built stronger usually because of working all the time and need to be stronger for the gear and the way they are worked and sometimes launched

ETEC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Murky
That Sounds About Right The Older The Boat The Better The Lay Up Was.alot Of New Boats The Glass Is Sprayed And Not Hand Layed.the Boat You Are On About I Have Fished On Lots And Its A shame Its Now Just Left.do You Think The Owners Would Sell The Hull?

·
Registered
579 Posts
fling30
its my uncle that owns the boat i offerd to buy her a few yrs back b4 she became a wreck but got a NO as they had big plans for her..those plans are that sad hull sat up on the drying berth for the last 8yrs.Its not worth doing her up anymore as you can get the same boat thats running for about 7-10k...she would make a good rebuild project:hammer: or a 30ft garden pond:cry:the big problem with her is the original engine mounts that wer bonded in during the build have rotted out....also needs a engine....new wheel house/for'd deck:crazy::crazy::wacko:and god knows what else??

·
Registered
330 Posts
fling30
its my uncle that owns the boat i offerd to buy her a few yrs back b4 she became a wreck but got a NO as they had big plans for her..those plans are that sad hull sat up on the drying berth for the last 8yrs.Its not worth doing her up anymore as you can get the same boat thats running for about 7-10k...she would make a good rebuild project:hammer: or a 30ft garden pond:cry:the big problem with her is the original engine mounts that wer bonded in during the build have rotted out....also needs a engine....new wheel house/for'd deck:crazy::crazy::wacko:and god knows what else??
Sounds like a Davy porject.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Be careful though, a 'heavy'/'commercial' layup doesn't necessarily mean a better boat. The extra layers will add strength and durability on areas subject to wear, and give a better base to bolt things to, but will also also add weight. Chopped strand mat is stuctually pretty poor, for a stronger hull woven or unidirectional fibres are significantly stronger - think about it, you don't see chopped strand carbonfibre do you?!
Re Lochins - one ran aground near Alderney last year and 'split from stem to stern' according to the surveyor. He was amazed how thin the layup was. A good hull design isn't necessarily a strong one, a strong hull depends on what it's made from and how skilled the laminators are.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Be careful though, a 'heavy'/'commercial' layup doesn't necessarily mean a better boat. The extra layers will add strength and durability on areas subject to wear, and give a better base to bolt things to, but will also also add weight. Chopped strand mat is stuctually pretty poor, for a stronger hull woven or unidirectional fibres are significantly stronger - think about it, you don't see chopped strand carbonfibre do you?!
Re Lochins - one ran aground near Alderney last year and 'split from stem to stern' according to the surveyor. He was amazed how thin the layup was. A good hull design isn't necessarily a strong one, a strong hull depends on what it's made from and how skilled the laminators are.
I would pretty much agree with you there toerog on the weight/strength issue on boats. Chopped strand CF though is a common scrim material used to hold uni-directional carbon fibre in place for weft strength and weight saving over glass scrims in tubular CF components. It is also regularly used to facilitate clean cutting of un-directional CF to prevent fibre splitting during lay up in other CF structures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Murky
I Spent Many A Happy Hour On That Boat When Dennis Had Her.its A Shame To See It Left To Rot!!! Have You Been Out On The Water Lately? Im Looking Forward To Some Cod[if We Get Any] As I Have A New Boat Going Into Portishead Over The Next Few Weeks Hope To Catch You On The Waves Soon.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Murky
I Spent Many A Happy Hour On That Boat When Dennis Had Her.its A Shame To See It Left To Rot!!! Have You Been Out On The Water Lately? Im Looking Forward To Some Cod[if We Get Any] As I Have A New Boat Going Into Portishead Over The Next Few Weeks Hope To Catch You On The Waves Soon.
not been out had too much work and not enough men.Boat is at lyme regis getting a service ext..thats not b4 a wheel bearing seized on the way down in the middle of taunton yesterday:doh:...we live and learn!!Been getting a few bass/mullet at work in the last day and the boy has had a few bass at his local spot.Should see the old cod back during the big tides mid sept so keep the fingers crossed.Nice one on the new boat..send me a pm wiv the details and i will come have a look at the dock and keep me eyes/ears open when im out on the depths...my tub is the dirty looking white fastliner 19 that stinks of dead things,has a sprat net over the stern,heads out in all kinds of seas fishing strange spots out west,..oh yea its called chloe nicole and cuz im poor its parked up the avon at pill quays when its not on me lawn...and im not a member of any club:headhurt:...solo dangler out on the depths other than a few other boat owners..finx its 2 lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Murky
The Boat Is A Mi 21 I Have Called It My Time.the Is At Uphill At The Moment As Im Doing Some Work On Her And Hope To Go Into The Water At The End Of Sept.when She Is In Portishead You Are More Than Welcome To Come And Have A Look.its Going To Be Good Fishing The Channel Again As The Last 2 Years I Have Been Crewing On A South Coast Charter Boat!

·
Registered
579 Posts
nice doing it..i will have a scope at the tub when im down wsm next and may be we can meet for a pint b4 the season starts..put a face to the typing ext..always good to have a tow not far away and its better for prospecting new grounds..loose lips sink ships lol..always need a extra boat too help with my prospecting trips

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi MUrky
Im Allways Up For A Beer And A Good Chat!!! I Think That Jabo Is Looking Forward To Some Fishing With Me This Season.as I Say I Hope To Put The Boat Into The Water 3-4 Week Of Sept All The Small Jobs Should Be Done .then It Up To Portishead And Off After A Cod Or Two AND AS FOR LOOKING FOR NEW SPOTS TO GET AWAY FROM THE PORTISHEAD FLEET IM UP FOR THAT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts