World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently considering to change one of my 13ft beachcasters for the abu xodus 12ft 9" 4-8oz.

I will be using the rod for estuary matches where distance can be required, and also i will be using it for standing in the surf when conditions are too rough for my 2-4oz bass rod.

I'm looking for information on the blank itself, i.e is the tip quite sensitive or too stiff? etc...

Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
the 12'9" xodus is a great rod shows up flattie bites yet stands firm in the tide/wind i've used it in local matches with good effect and it can cast as far as you need (or can in my case) i use it reel low with a multiplier. its fairly light weight as well. hope this helps

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i was wondering what the rod would be like when targeting flounder in matches as this will be one of its uses. It also seems the right length of rod for both estuary and heavy surf conditions for bass.

I was worried that when i read the review at torbay fishing that the rod was like a poker stick!

Thanks for the info happyguy73 and poutman. Anymore info on the rod would be highly appreciated!

regards matt

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've got the Xodus and can confirm it's definitely not a poker stick- it's fine for what you want to use it for and it can cast a fair distance but I wouldnt want to use it on rougher ground as it just hasnt got the guts IMO.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i had an Xodus for a couple of years, was always the first rod out my bag, as others have said, excellent bite detection, puts up with all but the heaviest winds (i mean like F8) and rolling seas, wish i'd not sold it to be honest!

Hugh

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah good, just what i wanted to hear!

I am considering it as i have one of the original abu garcia conolon 13ft multiplier rods which has excellent bite detection, but wanted to get the lighter more up to date xodus conolon which is slightly shorter (12ft 9").

As i said its going to be used up estuaries for flatties where distance is required and also as a more powerful bass rod in heavy surf conditions on mixed ground. This is why bite detection is necessary as i like a sensitive tip.

Thanks fot all the information, anyone else is welcome to leave more if they like!

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
to be honest, other than the heaviest ground, it will cope with anything,

i beleieve it's about the same age, or maybe a year or so younger, than the original conolon, it's certainly a heavier rod than a regular flattie rod, but does the job nicely either way, best casting with a 5oz, and will hit good distances (easy 150m+) if you can cast.

Hugh

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again thanks for the info.

I will definitely be investing in one as it sounds like what i'm after, just gotta convince my dad that i need the extra space in the garage to add it to my ever expanding collection!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Try Veals mail order, they currently have the Abu suveran sx 12ft 9in which is the match version of the suveran range going for £98.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye, i saw that on veals mail order, thinking of getting the slim line bait pump at only £34 at the same time. Both good buys.

Just wanted to get a bit more info on the blank of the Aby xodus which you guys have done for me very well :notworthy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've tried both the suveran sx and the xodus and i kept the xodus didn't see the point of the extra expense at the time but at that price it would be a steal. ABU have been making some great rods latetly and if you ever want a poker you wont go wrong with the original suveran sport, if your after conger etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts