World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Unfortunately or fortunately, it depends on how you look at it but four of five times a year I have to travel to Inverness on one day normally in the afternoon and then work the following day in Raigmore hospital and then drive home.
The last time I was up I had a look to see if there were any accessible fishing marks that I could possibly drown a worm or two but didn't find any. As many of you will already know I am wheelchair dependent.
Does anyone know of any marks that I could fish for, for a few hours in the evening?
Bearing in mind I only have about 3 or four hours to fish I really don't want to be driving for hours to get to a mark to fish for an hour and then head back.
Any information would be appreciated. The next date I am up there is August 6th, working the 7th and then driving back home.

Thanks in advance

Dougy

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
ill give you a pm on sunday. born and raised inverness.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dougy,

I know Avoch (pronounced "och") about 11 miles north east of Inverness over the Kessock bridge onto the Black Isle has a harbour but if memory serves me right I think you would only be able to fish the inner harbour if at all, and it would be very dependant on the tide.

Further on a bit, about 14 miles from Inverness, is Rosemarkie, again if memory serves me right, it may just be possible to fish from the car if the tide is right.

Don't take what I've said literally as I'm really not sure if fishing is possible from these places and I hope some other peeps will come along and either confirm or dismiss what I've suggested.

If it's not possible to fish these areas, it's still well worth taking a drive over to Fortrose (chanonry point) to watch the dolphins if you've got a spare hour or two to kill (take binos with you and you can see across to Fort George)

Tight Lines Mate

Iain

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
:fishing: Balintore harbour would be ok for a wheelchair but it would maybe be a bit too far on if your time is limited. You could probably find somewhere accessible in North Kessock below the bridge but what the fishing there is like God knows. Best of luck anyway mate:thumbs:

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
al thats you off my christmas card list.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
malt man if your ever up pm me ill take you out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are two piers at North Kessock - the larger pier is definately wheelchair accessible and the smaller should be as well. Quite often there are folk spinning or ledgering from one or the other. (The sea trout can be seen moving close to the shore at present.)

Not sure about the permit situation as I think the £5 a year job only covers the area east of the bridge.

The new marina just being finished on the south side of the firth might well be a decent spot at all states of the tide, Again, not a clue about permits and given that fact that salmon will be running close to it as they enter the River Ness, I suspect that bailiffs will be taking an interest in what goes on!

·
Registered
314 Posts
mind you also have nairn harbour which is only about half hour from the hospital,

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the replies but I think my colleague is going to cover this day for me. we do it between us and I was all for doing it and getting a bit of fishing in as well so it will November the next time I am up there but all this information has been kept and printed off for future reference.

All info appreciated

Dougy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Dougy

From that area myself. As well as the previous suggstions, another one would be Cromarty harbour, which I'm pretty sure is accessible with a wheel chair.
I know that they get plenty of mackerel there in the summer, with small pollock, coalies and flounder being other possibillities.

Hope that helps and tight lines!

Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts