World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's bin hard going on the bass front, 6 or 7 trips to the llyn have yealded zero fish - it looks like the warm winter has been counterbalanced by cold nights in April and unless anyone can correct me, nobody is catching on the plugs yet.

Did an all nighter on Monday/Tuesday then had a more relaxing session yesterday fishing in the sun midday.

I have conceded it's too cold for the bass and wanted to get my rod bouncing - I have always wondered why I don't pick up more pollock and stuff whilst bassing and was interested to watch penn's video using much smaller lures fished tight to the bottom slowly retrieved.

With this in mind I opted for a small crazy sandeel fished slow with little twitches and it worked really well with 4 or 5 pollock in 20 mins and some missed plucks too - I hope this more suttle technique will increase my bass catches when they arrive so thanks a lot Penn

Human Coastal and oceanic landforms Fun Recreation Tourism

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Great fishing, i don't think I can forgive you those knees though :)

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,950 Posts
I'm glad it has given you another string to your bow in technique and shown you that softly softly works well when things are slow, it works very well for Bass too.
So excellent going but please get some longer shorts:p

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Great report and picture:D. I too am going to give the lighter approach a go this year due to the great reports and catches of Penn, about 3 weeks and i will be in scotland and will try my luck then.:)

Reactions: TICTER

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
I have friends who use larger, heavier lures retrieved quickly. they struggle. I use a max 1oz lead towing a very thin 4in sandeel imitation on a 4ft hooklength. slowly reeled in right on top of the rocks and weed. I get a lot more takes this way.

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
don't strike at every pull either. keep constant speed don't slow down, strike or speed up when you feel the fish knocking the lure. be patient until the rod tip hoops around. you'll know when its on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.