World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people

I thought i would write this piece for anyone interested in catching seatrout from the sea.For many years i had been catching sea trout from the mouth of the river leven using the fly ,until last year when i discovered a new way for me anyway to catch more and bigger seatrout .while on holiday fishing for mackeral with the kids i thought i would change the gear from standard spinning with lures and feathers to light float fishing tackle because the kids were moaning about there arms being sore .cutting the mackeral into thumbnail sized bits we were all soon fishing again .we had fish after fish after fish and not just seatrout we had very small cod ,pollack, coalies ,and mackeral.this was fishing heaven.the wife had the best fish of the day a seatrout around 3.5 pounds ON MY ROD I MIGHT ADD . Anyway on returning home i was egar to try this at the bottom of the leven ,i had about seven fish in about two hours that day the best 3 pound plus.tryed this at newburgh to i had seatrout , tayport i had seatrout .i did notice the bait had to be just of the bottom any higher and the bites dried up .hope this helps anyone who is interested .and ps i was using a sliding float rig. :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sounds good Marcus,

I usually use the fly rod for my Sea Troot fishing, never thought to try a float rig.

btw when you mentioned the river Leven ??? is it the Leven in Fife

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes thays leven in fife dig d :)

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
just tried that
here in dundee we fish for sea trout all the time baited hooks but winter months are the best
if you can handle the cold that is

·
Registered
9 Posts
would like 2 ask were u wer on holiday?

about 8 to 10 years i used 2 be a member of a game fishing club in greenock. half the fishing trips wer 2 sea lochs and most of the tactacs employed by the anglers wer float with herring or makeral strips. spinning also works.

also if anyone is interesed theres a bay @ ardgarton/ ardintinney the opposite side of the loch from coulport that was quite popular with a few on the bus and i've seen and had a few.

at ardintinney theres a caravan park wer u can park ur car. at the caravan park theres a bay 2 your left, but its one 2 ur right that u want 2 fish. 2 get there u have 2 follow a small footpath which is located 2 the right of the entrance of the caravan park. down the path theres a small fresh water river 2 cross thigh waders are enough its then a short walk down 2 the bay.

and u can always take ur beachcasters with u!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
we were in fort william

1 - 7 of 7 Posts