World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People

I'm just interested, is there a school or a place you can go to learn how to sail a small fishing boat?

I would love a little fishing boat but i haven't really got a clue about all things nautical :D :D

Cheers Lee

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Lee

There are quite a lot of training centres around the country. Most training is by the RYA (Royal Yacht Association) although some yacht clubs will do there own training.

If you go to www.rya.org.uk you can find information and even book certain courses (they are also quite helpful if you e-mail them)

These courses can be either practical (usually on small boats) or class based (chartwork and navigation) You will learn a lot on these courses which is of real value to angling, for example being able to read a chart will let you find suitable ground for different species and tide information.

Its also a good idea to join a local boat club. Often you can get trips out on other peoples boats, and there is no better way to learn than by experiance. This is where you will learn about launching and recovering boats if you intend to use that option.

Take a few charter boat trips in your area, the boat handling will be similar, just scaled down for a small boat.

Good luck with your new venture.

Regards
Osprey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Osprey

In general how much does it cost to moor a boat in a harbour? I know the cost will be different in each harbour but roughly how much.

Cheers Lee :D :D :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Lee,

It all depends on the type of boat (if its on a trailer or not), where you want to be based, and which marina you may be looking at. The most flexible option is prob a boat on trailer and then you have the option of numerous ports fo call for fishing, and only launching costs instead of mooring fees, but it honestly depends on what you are looking for?

An eg of mooring costs can be found here for Chichester (Itchenor Reach area)....

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/index.htm

Rgds
Chris

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi Lee

That's a tough question to answer (its one of those how long is a piece of string types) but I'll give you some examples. I don't know where your area is so I'll give examples around Cardiff.

The price varies according to what you are getting for your money. (not always proportionately)

Highest in our area is the marina, starting at £20 per day (reducing the longer you have a boat there for ie if you pre pay for a year its cheaper than paying by the month) For this you get pontoons so you can walk to your boat at any time, staff onsite 24 hours a day, safe sheltered moorings, and 24 access to the sea.

The other extreme I understand that moorings in the river in Newport (10 miles away) are as low as £10 per year. All you get for this is permission to moor you boat, you would have to lay your own mooring and chain and only have water about an hour either side of high water.

The yacht clubs in the area (only a few hundred yards from the marina) are one of the most popular choices as they offer reasonable facilities for a reasonable price around £200 - £300 per year. Often moorings are laid by the club which saves a lot of work. Membership of clubs in your area may be limited so it may be a good idea to join one prior to getting a boat.

Remember if you get a mooring that is not a pontoon you will need a tender (small row boat to get out to your fishing boat)

Hope this helps, as you can see mooring price in even a small area can vary enormously. The prices in your area may vary from mine but you should find that the prices for the various options are not that far off.

Regards
Osprey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Osprey

It sounds cheaper than i thought it would be to be honest, it's north wales where my family has caravans so if i got a boat it would be up there.

What is the best boat for an absolute beginner? If i got one it would have to be a second hand one and it wouldn't have to be a very big boat as i wouldn't want to go very far out, any recommendations.

Cheers Lee :D :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Again a complex answer depending on what you want to do. If you only want to go a few hundred yards off shore with the minimum of fuss. A ten or twelve foot roving boat equipped with oars, anchor, bailer (Some way of emptying water out of the boat) flares, handheld VHF and life jackets per person should fit the bill.

You can get something like a Pioneer which is unsinkable, won't mind being left out in the sun and would be light enough to stick on a roof rack. They are made of strong plastic and are very strong but are a pain in the bum to repair a hole.

You could add a small engine of about 4 to 8 HP.

Or you can get as complicated and as expensive as you want to go. All depends on what type of fishing and how far out to sea you want to go and how fast you want to get there.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be after a motorized boat with room for about three or four people. i don't really know how far i would want to go out. (where the fish are ha ha).

Cheers Lee

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Woolylee, as a starter boat you wont go far wrong with a 13ft Dell Quay Dory, they will plod along with a 6/8HP engine, or "fly" with a 25HP. Unsinkable provided the hull & the floor have no holes in them to allow water into the foam filled cavity between! ( you can tell if its "dry) by lifting it up by the bow or stern, if you can lift it its dry, if its heavy its been holed so leave it alone.
Dont forget to budget for a hand held VHF radio, some flares, a lifejacket for everybody on board, an anchor (5kg) with at least 20ft of chain & 100ft of rope (& a spare if you can manage it), & a set of oars just in case your engine lets you down, a fire extinguisher, & small first aid kit, (these are my minimum requirements, not everybody thinks the same)!
Pick your weather carefully, (& who you take out) remember who gives the orders, & always err on the side of caution, that way you will stay alive to enjoy many years boating & fishing.
blueskip

·
Registered
476 Posts
Woolylee,

As a land locked lover of the sea, let me tell you how I got bitten by the bug, and you can glean what information you can from it.

I have always fished our coastline as a lad when ever on holiday etc. Then 3 years ago decided to to venture that little bit further than I could cast. Didn't want to spend too much money just in case I didn't enjoy it. I did have some previous boating knowledge with a mates Bayliner some years before.

Anyway, decision made but what to buy. I ended up getting a Bombard AX500 rib with a Johnson 10. This little set up is really fiesty two up and a stable platform to fish from. As per blueskips advice Oceansafety manual inflate lifejacket ( auto inflate not advisable with a small rib in my opinion, as when launching off a beach one day, tripped over a rock on the sea bed and whumph!!!!No fishing that day unless I wanted to endure it with a fully inflated jacket :oops: ) Miniflares attached to the jacket, vhf radio and a small anchor. Now the beauty of this is that you can fold the boat down and it stores in it's own carry bag like a surfboard on the roof of the car. Engine lay down in the boot and you can launch it from virtually any beach.

This sufficed me for one whole season and I'd caught the bug:D Following winter, when cabin fever had took it's hold, saw me looking for something bigger:rolleyes:. I ended up with my present boat, a seahog seatrooper fitted with an Evinrude E-tec 50. I joined a yacht club local to area I fish and managed to secure a swinging mooring. This cost just over £400 to have installed, and will stay mine as long as I rejoin the club every year. Subs are around £70 and with that I get secure storage for the tenderand it costs me £60 per annum for the mooring to be checked and serviced. So not that expensive really. Prices will differ from area to area, but it gives you an idea.

The only experience I can share with you on marinas and pontoon moorings was the previously mention friends Bayliner. He kept that at Cobbs Quay in Poole harbour..........mega expensive from what I remember:g:

What ever you decide to do the most important thing to remember is safety. Far better to postpone a trip if something isn't quite right and be able to try another day than to go ahead and make it your last!

Hope you have fun in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi Woolylee

Have a look at my web site. I set it up as I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. Fishing Boats & Equipment

It will not give you all the answers and most likely make you ask more but that is good.

As everyone else has said safety is THE most important thing.

The other important thing is to enjoy yourself, forget the money you can't take it with you! :ph34r:

Dave

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hi.
I started out with some books under one arm and some questions at the harbours to small boat owners. I don't know much aboput all the types of boats but you won't go wrong with an Orkney coastliner 14ft, max 20hp to start with, the boat is big enough for 2 and if you have some really friendly mates it will take 3, the beauty i found that you can make mistakes with a boat of this size and get away with them, especially when launching and retrieving. The boat is well made and has great write ups and has a good resell value, it's not one you'd keep for life but deffinately a good starter.

hope this helps:clap3:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Where U are in Lancashire woolyle you have a selection of boat angling clubs to go at ranged round the Fylde coast. Wyre, Fylde, Blackpool, Morecambe boat angling clubs all have their own tractors for beach launching-4wds are no good on these beaches-and electric winches on their tractors to help retrieve the boat back onto the trailer. With respect I wouldnt go for a dell quay around here far too little freeboard for our conditions and as a coastguard coxn around here I have retrieved more than one of them awash with water. Plenty of second hand seahogs hunters and 14ft cjr's/trios around here (they make them just down the road)and they give you a little more freeboard and a cuddy to keep the wind chill off in winter for cod fishing. 40hp o/b is about right for them. But do get in touch with a club and let them help you thru the ins and outs of launching in an area with very exposed beaches and a 10m rise of tide! I have done it for over thirty years and whilst the fishing is now barely a poor shadow of what it was we can always hope for the good old days again! If you need contact numbers for any of the clubs drop me an e mail.

·
Registered
701 Posts
woolylee said:
Thanks Osprey

In general how much does it cost to moor a boat in a harbour? I know the cost will be different in each harbour but roughly how much.

Cheers Lee :D :D :D
Like they say, costs varies, on length and location, average for moorings seems to be around £300 per foot for 12 months, without Electric hook up, Poole was £2k for my 20 footer, North Wales £1800, so not a lot in it. Swinging mooring are way cheaper and easier to get, waiting lists for some Mariners can be 6 years ( Pwheli for example )

1 - 15 of 15 Posts