World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guy's, just thought i'd introduce myself. I'm fairly new to sea angling having moved down here from West Brom 3 years ago, living near Llantrisant now. I was a keen coarse fisherman before and i still get bemused by the size of the hooks, weights etc we use for our sea fish! I've fished the Knap in Barry, Marcross and the waterfront Barry with zero success! Been out on my mates boat off Penarth about a month ago and got doggies and small skate. Can anyone suggest good beginner venues or tips? Tight lines, Jim

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
Good morning guy's, just thought i'd introduce myself. I'm fairly new to sea angling having moved down here from West Brom 3 years ago, living near Llantrisant now. I was a keen coarse fisherman before and i still get bemused by the size of the hooks, weights etc we use for our sea fish! I've fished the Knap in Barry, Marcross and the waterfront Barry with zero success! Been out on my mates boat off Penarth about a month ago and got doggies and small skate. Can anyone suggest good beginner venues or tips? Tight lines, Jim
welcome to the forum m8 i look forward to reading your future catch and pics reports..andy ilsf

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
there are so many venue's and places to visit and fish, some are not advisable to fish on your own here is a list of marks in wales from the forum, there is info on baits to use tactics and tackle etc

also look at this it gives even more idea's on marks

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
hi jim-yam,

...croeso i Gymru...

one of the biggest mistakes newbies make is using hooks that are too big. Big fish will take a small bait but small fish wont take a big bait! Don't throw away them carp hooks, they are great for sea fishing. there's a lot of helpful peeps on here i'm sure you'll be catching soon.:bye1:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
hi jim-yam,

...croeso i Gymru...

one of the biggest mistakes newbies make is using hooks that are too big. Big fish will take a small bait but small fish wont take a big bait! Don't throw away them carp hooks, they are great for sea fishing. there's a lot of helpful peeps on here i'm sure you'll be catching soon.:bye1:
Welcome mate..I`ll second what Grifish said about the hooks, i always use small carp hooks while drifting for bass. They work well too..

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The Barrage is a decent venue foe beginners mate

welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the site fella, look forward to your reports. Use the site as there is loads of info on here, helped me no end when I first started.

Steve

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, nice to see you have crossed over from the darkside.

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
hi jim-yam,

...croeso i Gymru...

i find some freshwater hooks rust bad very quickly so check your hooks b4 each sesh lads..

·
Team Saltist
630 Posts
Welcome fella. Keep an eye out for fishing meets. Always good to get out and meet the members and pick up tips and hints.

A easy mark to fish would be Porthcawl Pier It can stink at times due to inconsiderate people/anglers but can produce good fish. As said there are some marks that can be dangerous due to winds etc.

Feel free to ask people if you can tag along.

Tight Lines

Welsh

·
Team Rig Maker
19,817 Posts
Welcome to the site fella, look forward to your reports. Use the site as there is loads of info on here, helped me no end when I first started.

Steve
what you mean no end, you still have to land a decent fish lol

·
Sole Man!
1,649 Posts
I reckon mumbles pier on the end.
great place to start out with a real variety of species no need to cast far & always the chance of a lunker.
brolly

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
how are you jim-yam welcome to the forum if youve been puddle chucking for a while youknow about knots and leaders etc if its a venue with easy access parking and good fishing try porthcawl pier i am back on my feet after an op on my foot and been fishing the pier for 20 years it gets a bit smelly and dirty with discarded rubbish but most of the boys who fish there would help you out if you fancy it let me know me and my son scottydog be down there tomorrow from 10am till late come along let your self known to me i,ll be on top wall with the deputy dog hat on will be happy to show you what rigs weight size to use with regards hook size the largest hook i use is a size 2/0 and i,ve had double figure fish on them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks very much guys for all your welcomes, i'll take some of you up on your offers for me tagging along. Will hopefully get out the weekend so wish me luck. Thanks again and i'll speak to you soon no doubt.:fishing:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate - The Knap ususally produces a fish or two - try puting out a scratching tid with small hook on one rod and a large hook with a big bait on the other.

Raz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts