World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Off to the IOW shortly for a few days. Not really a fishing hol but if I happened to discover I had "accidently" left my gear in the car where is the best bet for a lesser weever for the species hunt please? Based in Sandown but could end up anywhere in our travels
Many thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have caught them off Sandown pier. Float fishing a strip of mackerel close to the bottom. You might also get a 'chicken' turbot. Caught a few there, but not on the float.
That would be a bonus - need a turbot too. Thanks

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had lesser sandeels off the pier earlier in the year as well, on size 12 sabikis jigged up and down on the inside, together with baby Pollack.

Reactions: boyscott

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've caught quite a few over the years. Without a rod. Just wander around in bare feet in the water at low tide, about knee deep water, and at about this time of year, and you'll almost certainly 'get' one of the buggers.

The best way to alleviate the pain is to immerse your foot (presumably a foot, but I don't swim naked!), in the hottest water possible in a bucket. By hot, I mean almost unbearably hot. This apparently denatures the toxin and you'll be better in 30 mins.

I realise I haven't answered the question, but am just back from the pub. Apologies.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Easier to find a fish than a parking spot.

School holidays are done so it should be a lot better than when I was there at the back end of August.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi
Off to the IOW shortly for a few days. Not really a fishing hol but if I happened to discover I had "accidently" left my gear in the car where is the best bet for a lesser weever for the species hunt please? Based in Sandown but could end up anywhere in our travels
I've fished the IOW for 50 years,and never caught one !! But don't let me put you off trying :gtfo:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi
I've had Turbot from Sandown Pier as well on large Mackerel fillet baits - cast well out to the left hand side looking out to sea (large higher sandbank out there, most of the better ones seem to come from that area)
Try fishing in 'the pool' as the locals call it for the smaller species, just in from the end of the railed fishing area at the end of the pier (square railed off section)
Have seen all sorts of species caught from there, mostly small fish with the exception of the odd bigger surprise Bass.
Most of the wrasse family (Cuckoos, Ballans etc), Blennies, Sea Scorpions and the odd Weever's caught there.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the advice. Didn't wet a line all week largely due to the weather but we'll go back to IOW so all useful advice.
The hunt goes on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts