World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the web, and on WSF forums, for some time now for a good deal on a Shimano Exage 3000 front drag reel. So, every time I log on to this WSF, GoOutdoors flash up an advert for the exact same product at an unbelievably good price. In fact, while I'm tapping this out on my keyboard I'm staring at the irritating advert at the same time.

The reel is advertised for £35.97. A good price I hear you say, except that when I click through to the link - which I have been compelled to do umpteen times - it informs me that there is only one reel left in the UK at that price and it's - you guessed it - about 100 miles away in York.

Now I live in Manchester. The reel is not for posting and cannot be picked up from 'your local' Go Outdoors' shop, of which there are there two I know of in Greater manchester.

The reason why I am writing this is that Go Outdoors must be breaking some sort of online advertising rules, enticing me to click through to their website, wasting my time, on the promise of offering a bargain price on a product that they know I am searching for, only to let me down, and say that the product is not available apart from in the York store.

Two lessons to be learned here.

One. If you're searching for a deal on a fishing tackle item and you keep seeing Go Outdoors adverts on your side browsers' side bar, ignore it because the deal doesn't exists and they are probably breaking the law, or an advertising code that has yet to be implemented or even written.

Two. Find a buddy in York to go and buy the product.

The third lesson is to delete your cookies so that big companies can't track your searches and trick you into wasting your time.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Yeah. I agree. Get the same with over 50 singles and saga holidays. Lol

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drives me knuts.

Now I've got no issue with genuine adverts telling you about genuine deals to be had. It's just the click-through trickery that narks me. If I could buy it on-line with them I would.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Thanks Mr Fish.
Sorry, should have added that it gets rid of ALL ads, not just pop ups.

You can count the number its blocked in the corner of the screen and feel a warm glow of satisfaction.

Not beloved by website owners, I assume...

Oh, needs a fairly recent operating system.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Adblock is the probably best thing on my PC

Without it I find sites like YouTube completely intolerable with their intrusive adverts.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
some of those adverts arnt always genuine either.

i had been looking at something elsware then got bombed with similar stuff everytime i logged on.

i fell for one that was offering a months free trial all i had to do was pay the postage.

my daughter did it for me on her account. it was a scam with a charge everytime, a very difficult returns policy and locked into a regular monthly subscription at £100 a month.

after warning her bank about it they still took around £200 out of her account on a few occasions [which the bank returned]. the bank had to chase them to get it stopped.

so.... beware.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find myself at a loss to comprehend why any company would imagine they are about to entice me to purchase their product by repeatedly jamming their unsolicited ads in my face ?

They are simply ensuring I will never buy their product....they don't seem to get it..... that the final sanction upon their perpetual irritation is, Mine. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the rear drag no good J
Slyfox, you would need to ask one if the more experienced lure men in the Lure section about that. Seems to me that Front Drag is the weapon if choice for seasoned spinning anglers.

Post the question in the lure forum mebbe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts