World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ive been wanting to catch a mullet from irvine harbour for ages so started to fish for them a couple of days ago.
Had a few fish nibble on my bait a few times in the last couple of nights but no takers.
So me and bellboy planned to meet there at 8 the night..........i got there just before him and chucked in my first cast and fish on...............landing this

didnt have any scales with us so we thought it was about 3lb or so????(unless yous think different)
after we let it go there was no signs of any more mullet????
read some where that if you release one back into the same place you fish it frightens the others off?............is this true?

·
Registered
653 Posts
well done sir,long time no see.keep it up,

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thats a beauty sirfishalot. More than 3 pounds to my (rookie) eyes.

Dont know if releasing frightens off the other fish maybe Davy Holt or other Mullet experts can help. When I caught and released my only Mullet there were still fish about.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well done,nice fish,would definitly say over 3lbs :clap3:

Ttried to catch one 2 days this week past but no luck,got them feeding the first day and they keept hitting my bait but not tacking it.
I got one and it came off at my feet:sad:

2ND day nothing to be seen,they can be a nightmare sometimes.

Heres one i caught last year 3lb 3oz.

Attachments

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
Well done! You got there in the end. That's a nice looking fish.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Well done on the mullet, btw it looks quite a bit more than 3lb.

As for releasing them in the same swim, I can't say I have noticed any difference if the fish are returned in the same swim. I did notice that when playing a fish quite often 2 or 3 other mullet would follow very close by, so it dint seem to spook them.

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya,

As for releasing them in the same swim, I can't say I have noticed any difference if the fish are returned in the same swim. I did notice that when playing a fish quite often 2 or 3 other mullet would follow very close by, so it dint seem to spook them.

Thanks alot davy..........:victory:
Thought it was over 3lb but was an average weight i was giving it as i wanted it back in the water.
Was asking about them being spooked cause after that there seemed to be no movement from any other mullet after that.
Will have to give it another try some night soon.

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
nice fish henry

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
Thanks alot davy..........:victory:
Thought it was over 3lb but was an average weight i was giving it as i wanted it back in the water.
Was asking about them being spooked cause after that there seemed to be no movement from any other mullet after that.
Will have to give it another try some night soon.
I don't know the area but it could well be that the fish are only there for a short time before moving on either up stream or down stream.

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hiya,

I don't know the area but it could well be that the fish are only there for a short time before moving on either up stream or down stream.

they seemed to be there for the last 4 days at least 5 swimming about and ive always seen them there for years.....but as you say they might stay for a few days then swim up/down stream for a few days???

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,
they seemed to be there for the last 4 days at least 5 swimming about and ive always seen them there for years.....but as you say they might stay for a few days then swim up/down stream for a few days???
sorry I should have added with the tide in my last reply.

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
2,629 Posts
well done goldie oldie.:punk:

you near blew my ear off with that phone call lol "I'VE F***IN CAUGHT ONE YA DANCER"

hopefully my turn soon.......................

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well done goldie oldie.:punk:

you near blew my ear off with that phone call lol "I'VE F***IN CAUGHT ONE YA DANCER"

hopefully my turn soon.......................

:roll1::roll1::roll1::roll1::roll1::roll1::roll1::roll1:

hopefully your turn ......lol:roll1:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hiya,

Have noticed that myself with hooked fish. It almost looks to me like they are trying to compete for some imaginary food item. Sort of mouthing the area around the hooked fishes head. Strange behavoiur for a wary fish.

Suppose it the shoal instinct, but it does not explain the sort of feeding motion

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i was using just good old bread.........i free lined with a small size 10 hook but some people float fish for them too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts