World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on YouTube watching and on here reading about sea fishing.
Would I be correct in saying that Tynemout and down towards Hull and beyond is a very popular place for sea fishing. The amount of times I read or see that area in reports and videos is amazing.
I ask because there is a slim chance I may land up living in the area.
Which would alright for me and my wife.

Reactions: Nick Phillips

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,592 Posts
Love the North East, Newbiggin and Morpeth area is lovely.
Fished there many times.

Reactions: Oldbones

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Living here all my life, theres far better places with more variety and a better summer season than we have. But that is usually because of warmer clearer water.
we have to travel this time of year for better fish and different species.
Dont get me wrong, theres still plenty to catch here but you have got to be prepared to move around using different tactics at times.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Most are obsessed with trying to catch Codling for which it is probably a good location but in general the fishing would be poor compared to the South or West coasts

Reactions: Oldbones

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Fishing is crap in the NE and getting worse through overfishing, pollution and plagues of seals!! Many Sea Anglers have become that fed up they have move over to Fly Fishing or god forbid Golf!

It's OK July- Nov for Cod but then it's very poor with little else really worth bothering with.

Most Anglers tend to travel over the west coast / Scotland or down towards the Holderness beaches.

Bait is another issue with bait beds raped and barely worth the effort. Getting quality bait is a real chore.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I watch, One man and his rod, Verns sea fishing, and a few others, Slippy limpets and a guy from south shields, Fishing in the UK.
It all looks good to me,
Had1lost2 said
South Coast, bigger fish, more of them and more variety , also better weather lol what they getting up there then ? the odd coalie and codling bit of flounder maybe .?

Yip as far as I can tell.
Fly fishing, yes I can do that no problem, want to keep going with sea fishing and catch fish, I might have to travel around by the looks of it.

Reactions: Had1lost2

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
I watch, One man and his rod, Verns sea fishing, and a few others, Slippy limpets and a guy from south shields, Fishing in the UK.
It all looks good to me,
Had1lost2 said
South Coast, bigger fish, more of them and more variety , also better weather lol what they getting up there then ? the odd coalie and codling bit of flounder maybe .?

Yip as far as I can tell.
Fly fishing, yes I can do that no problem, want to keep going with sea fishing and catch fish, I might have to travel around by the looks of it.
When yu watch those videos you see them catching a couple of fish. not big and not many. And remember, they have shown you the best they have caught in hours of fishing. And they never show you videos of their many blank or poor sessions

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have been on YouTube watching and on here reading about sea fishing.
Would I be correct in saying that Tynemout and down towards Hull and beyond is a very popular place for sea fishing. The amount of times I read or see that area in reports and videos is amazing.
I ask because there is a slim chance I may land up living in the area.
Which would alright for me and my wife.
The stretch of coastline you describe has some massive variations
The lower end between spurn point and Bridlington known as holderness, made up of sandy beaches can offer a great range of species including cod, smooth hounds, tope, different types of rays, bass, dogfish, turbot, sole, sometimes all in one session! Early summer being a good time for a mixed bag. But very dependent on conditions, if you go on the wrong day you could quite easily think there isn’t a fish within miles of it. and the species thin out to mostly whiting and cod in winter.
As you go north the type of species tends to change as the ground is different (rougher) and tactics change accordingly.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I am learning sea fishing and not to well versed yet I just need to put in more hours and just keep trying.
I ask about the Tynemouth because I may eventually live there and it looks great on YouTube.
In the past I have fished at Amble and had a good time, I have fished lots of rivers as well, so fishing is a thing I can very easily do.
Might be I am thinking that the grass is greener, and I just need to try harder or smarter in the region I am now
But I cant go all over, not on a regular basis, maybe a weekend now and then.
And before I do that I have to become proficient and I am not at that point yet.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
best thing about tynemouth mate is there's some canny boozers, fishing wise good in winter off the beaches for cod if yer prepared to have your bollocks frozen off. there's a club that has permission to fish tynemouth pier (lower deck) and reports are regularly posted locally on match results and at the moment it is dire. SSP is the best venue in the area in the summer and I've had some cracking bags of quality plaice there, they should be starting to show around this time of year but some years can be disappointing in terms of numbers. Problem is you have to put up with the macky bashers of which there are many. As well as the west coast a lot of people I know travel up to the borders (eyemouth and st abbs) where there's deep water at short range and brilliant fishing for pollack, wrasse etc., a popular alternative as it doesn't get too busy and it's only an hours drive.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
421 Posts
As I am learning sea fishing and not to well versed yet I just need to put in more hours and just keep trying.
I ask about the Tynemouth because I may eventually live there and it looks great on YouTube.
In the past I have fished at Amble and had a good time, I have fished lots of rivers as well, so fishing is a thing I can very easily do.
Might be I am thinking that the grass is greener, and I just need to try harder or smarter in the region I am now
But I cant go all over, not on a regular basis, maybe a weekend now and then.
And before I do that I have to become proficient and I am not at that point yet.
Tynemouth is a lovely area and beautiful coastline. Next door to tynemouth is north shields. I'd avoid that area if I was you. I'm from Whitley bay and have lived in north shields. Not very nice. If you are thinking about moving up here and aren't 100% certain on tynemouth, have a look at Seaton sluice. It's a few mile away and is also lovely, great people too. Lots of decent fishing marks aswell.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Whilst we have plenty of good marks it doesn’t mean its good, just look at the results from all of the local club matches to get an idea how bad things are fishing wise, cod fishing is often better in the height of summer now than winter.

Even the best anglers often struggle to weigh in from Jan -Jun and a lot of small matches now fish to a 20cm size limit during those times in the estuaries or beaches.

If the Sea comes away N/NE/E/SE in Oct /Nov you do see plenty of codling caught but you do need local knowledge as marks are very tide and condition dependent and without chest waders you will struggle !

Tynemouth and North Tyneside is a lovely area to live with coastline, pubs, cafes and excellent transport links to Newcastle but good luck finding affordable property, prices have gone through the roof since covid with offers often 50k over asking, lots of houses don't even get on the market and it's become dog walking central! 💩

Much better value can be found if you look.within a 5 -10mile radius, particulatly North of Tynemouth towards Blyth.

Don't let the fishing put you off though everyone is very friendly and welcoming and it's a lovely place to be but it's bloody cold with a constant sea breeze due to the very cold waters. We have the coldest sea currents in the UK which always knock the temperature down!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Shields lad here. I'll take the above comments with a pinch of salt.:mad: The NE was a mecca for sea angling back in the day. Matches like the Whitley Bay Open and the Sunday Sun Open would have nearly a thousand anglers. I have not heard of any matches of that scale these days other then the Euros on the Holderness. Big cod, and I mean 20 lb plus, turned up once or twice every winter. Mid-1980s there were a couple of 30+ fish caught in the River Blyth. That was the era of Chris Stringer, Alex Harvey and many NE match fishing legends. But the average angler like me never did that well. A good bag might be a couple of codling and coalies, and always a lot of lost gear. I prefer fishing the Holderness cos I don't like throwing away a tonne of lead each winter.
I don't get back much but when I do it is obvious that hardly anyone is out fishing the local rock ledges - St Mary's Island, Whitley, Cullercoats, I never see anyone in the places I used to fish. The Tyne estuary was good in its day but many of the marks have now been fenced off. I wouldn't move to the NE on the strength of its shore angling, but there are plenty of other good reasons to live there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wife spent her childhood there and has family near by, her mother is buried close by and she said she would love to go back. She said she can be herself while she is there.
The more I think about it the more I think I should make a supreme effort to get her there. Me I will find fishing where ever I am.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts