World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I realised that I was quite often returning Gurnard, despite knowing how to prepare them and thinking they are one of the best-tasting fish around.

I had an admiration for them because they look quite 'pretty' (in a strange sort of way) and dive surprisingly quickly as soon as they hit the water.

It dawned on me that maybe most of the fish we traditionally let go (but could eat) are the good-looking ones ?

Tope are better looking than Spurdog, Blue Sharks prettier than Cod.
But then lots of people let garfish go (or do they?) and - unless seen from the right angle while swimming or jumping - they are not really 'pretty' (are they ?)

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
You need to get out more Roger.

Mind you have to agree, have never had the heart to whack a gurnard myself, they do look pretty and I`ve tasted them (restaurant) and they are delicious.

·
Registered
601 Posts
A while back I realised that I was quite often returning Gurnard, despite knowing how to prepare them and thinking they are one of the best-tasting fish around.

I had an admiration for them because they look quite 'pretty' (in a strange sort of way) and dive surprisingly quickly as soon as they hit the water.

It dawned on me that maybe most of the fish we traditionally let go (but could eat) are the good-looking ones ?
if i could catch a fish 2 mate id be well happy, rarely get to see an ugly one let alone a good looking 1. lol :cry:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had been catching & eating gurnards for years, they really are good eating, that was until I took my wife out for a few trips. Up came a couple of nice tubs, in the box they went & no sooner had they hit the deck, they were back over the side, your not killing them, look at them, there're so pretty!! A couple of quick 'up yours' grunts and they were gone :doh: So, gurnards are no longer on the menu in our house because they are just to pretty!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I had been catching & eating gurnards for years, they really are good eating, that was until I took my wife out for a few trips. Up came a couple of nice tubs, in the box they went & no sooner had they hit the deck, they were back over the side, your not killing them, look at them, there're so pretty!! A couple of quick 'up yours' grunts and they were gone :doh: So, gurnards are no longer on the menu in our house because they are just to pretty!!
:clap::clap::clap: i must say mate i had a good wee laugh at that .

·
Registered
728 Posts
You need to get out more Roger.

Mind you have to agree, have never had the heart to whack a gurnard myself, they do look pretty and I`ve tasted them (restaurant) and they are delicious.
I agree, I know we have never met, but as one Roger to another, you really do need to get out more.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to catch (or even see) a "good looking" fish ;)
lol
I know Pollack aren't very pretty, but Coalfish can (if not too tubby, and fresh out of the water) look like a glistening, streamlined silver bar !

Plus some of the Marlin (allright, :eek:fftopic: I know we are wandering a bit abroad here) are not only beautiful, but very impressive - even 'majestic' .

Now- only one or two of us eat smoothounds (but they all say they are quite reasonable eating); it seems to be 'not the done thing' to take them. Yet they're not slower-breeding than, say, Spurdog.
Does anyone think a smoothound is "pretty" ?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i could never knowingly kill wrasse..no one eats them do they
as far back as i can remember sea fishing (nearly 30 yrs) theyve always gone back.
can anyone prove me wrong on this

only ever kept one ray,long time ago mind. first i ever caught never ate it though as didnt know how to prepare it properly,(such a waste. vowed to never keep one again) i later learnt how to but would rather release them.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Last 2 or 3 trips I have been (unintentionally) taking it a stage further - not even hooking the good looking fish !

Just hope I don't start thinking some ragworm or crabs are better looking than others - this could turn into a serious disability !

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
as far back as i can remember sea fishing (nearly 30 yrs) theyve always gone back.

only ever kept one ray,long time ago mind. first i ever caught never ate it though as didnt know how to prepare it properly,(such a waste. vowed to never keep one again) i later learnt how to but would rather release them.
portlanders eat wrasse, but then again they are a bit weird,just dont mention the rabbits

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

Thirty years ago wrasse was a regular part of the diet on the West Coast of Ireland. It was cooked in milk with onions and carrots. A few of the older generation still take the odd Rockfish.

The Eastern Eurpeans here eat them aswell.Ive seen them on portable barbques no bigger than six inches long, with pollack,coalies gurnard, POUT and anything else foolish enough to come within hooking distance.

As for good looking fish I have a very short memory and many fish dont look great when chopped into lumps and put into a stew but they sure taste good when you eat them.

I do release most of the bass I catch and all of the ray ,huss and congers. I think we need to remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Does anyone think a smoothound is "pretty" ?
This year for the first time I took a 5lb smoothy home for the pot and all I can say is they are "pretty" tasty!

Lovely, flakey firm white flesh and no bones. Cut into goujons, rolled in seasoned flour, dipped in whisked eggs then rolled in breadcrumbs and deep fried........"Pretty" tasty indeed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts