World Sea Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headhurt::headhurt:Is it my imagination, or has this forums interest fallen off.
Just a question, but I get the impression that this forum interest and participation has fallen off. Maybe the stats can back this, but I have notice, that some people, who I would regard, as the backbone of this group, no longer seem to participate.
A few weeks ago some of the above, seemed to get hung out to dry, and just wondered, if this had caused the possible lack of interest.
This is a fishing forum, and I catch sea fish for the sport, and because I like to eat fresh fish. Seems to go against, the grain with some of the more vocal members.
Fillet and release, a great moto, and when you do have a good haul, I cannot see the problem of taking more than a days meals worth. Fish freezes well, and when you do take fish it makes up for the poor days.
Awaiting to be hung out to dry! :boxing::love:

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Where are my clothes pegs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know about the first paragraph, But I agree 100% with your statement;

"This is a fishing forum, and I catch sea fish for the sport, and because I like to eat fresh fish. Seems to go against, the grain with some of the more vocal members.
Fillet and release, a great motto, and when you do have a good haul, I cannot see the problem of taking more than a days meals worth. Fish freezes well, and when you do take fish it makes up for the poor days." :happy:

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't see the problem in keeping bucketfuls of fish and freezing them, so long as they are all of decent size, every little helps but its the trawlers smashing up the sea beds and commercials i think that are wreaking havoc. End of rant...

I hardly post on here to be honest but have just started to a bit more frequently

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
i have certainy eased off my posting a lot lately.

i used to reply to a lot of questions but lately dont seem as though i can be bothered.

i now tend to read a lot of posts and only reply to the odd one.

i found that there was a lot of negative posters and quite a few posting on local area forums that just looked to cause bad feeling and disrupt.

you could also get people replying to questions who obviously havnt much idea but would isist that there methods are the only way then want to argue about it.

now i just let them get on with it.

still here to help where i can though.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
People come and people go unfortunately, it is just the way it is. The average life span of a social networking site for an individual is about 2 years before they stop using that site. So what happens on WSF is no different to any other forum or social networking site.

The stats would suggest that nothing has changed.

We still get over 1,000 registrations a month.

We still have over 2,000 daily posts on a daily average.

We still have page impressions of over 5 million per month. This past year our page impressions have increased by 1 million per month on average and our daily registration date has increased by 20% over last year.

Over the years we have run this site you have noticeable peaks and troughs. October through to March is the busiest time for people to be online, posting, registering etc. April to May is nearly up there with those months but you see a decline toward the middle of May. June, July, August are usually dead, the weather is good (or at least that is the theory of summer) and people don't want to be wasting time on the PC when they can be out and about. Plus that is the time when most people will be taking holidays or they have kids to look after during the summer, September starts to pick up ready for the busier times of October through to March.

I don't know anybody who has been hung out to dry. Unfortunately some people are very good at coming up for reasons why they don't use the site or might have been banned by the site, which are not actually true. People ask for their accounts to be removed...and then they say "I’ve been banned" even though they asked for their accounts to be removed. Other people have broken the rules and then wonder why they have banned and presume it is because they are using another site...even though it had nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact they broke the rules.

I know the site you are talking about in relation to those who have been hung out to dry and I've been let know some of the comments that have been posted on there. Most of which is complete and utter rubbish quite frankly. One person was banned permanently for breaching the rules, another left and asked for his account to be deleted on WSF and the other one got a temporary ban for breaking the strict policy we have on advertising via PM...for a whole day. Sadly some of the things that were put on that forum were a bit sensationalist to say the least. We’d never be that pathetic to ban people because they are using another site and we would expect other sites to act in the same responsible manner.

It is quite amazing how a forum with no rules...has moderators...why are they needed? A moderator’s job is to enforce the rules of the forum...that’s it. If the forum has no rules, you don't need moderators - end of story. You don’t even need a lot of moderators to enforce the rules, we work on a ratio of one moderator for every 1,500 members or there about.

Regarding the catch reports, we changed the rules in April about this so we removed negative comments on catch reports...sadly not many of you are reporting them and no moderator is going to be able to see and deal with everyone. So unless the members report them, there is no guarantee they are going to be removed.

As you can tell, our competition day was blown off again today, hence why e-mails and posts are been replied to :(

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I keep forgeting all the new rules... buy the time I have read through them again ,I've forgetten what I was going to say...
Yes we have lots of members but there does seem a lot of "Armchair Angling Advice" & rather less humour of note .

Some nasty anti-Essex prejudism creeping in too . Made me do some inner- reflection it has Mike but no way am I ready to hang up my Shell Suit , Vitara and Staff' Bull Terrier yet.

Barry

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have certainy eased off my posting a lot lately.

i used to reply to a lot of questions but lately dont seem as though i can be bothered.

i now tend to read a lot of posts and only reply to the odd one.

i found that there was a lot of negative posters and quite a few posting on local area forums that just looked to cause bad feeling and disrupt.

you could also get people replying to questions who obviously havnt much idea but would isist that there methods are the only way then want to argue about it.

Wise words, and I guess I fall into your camp.I certainly no longer reply to the Braid v Mono, Cure for sea sickness,knots, as these seem to occur on a regular basis.
I notice, that the sea fishing magazines get hammered, for having the same old articles, but this forum seems to also have a lot of repeats.
How area are fishing are very useful, but I would now avoid posting, if i had a big haul.
Perhaps there is a natural drop off on all forums, but, with some of the flack certain people have recieved for how to handle fish, or catching nice Mullet and keeping them, (personally I would prefer to eat fish flavoured cotton wool) not surprising their input has dried up.:fishing:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
I have notice, that some people, who I would regard, as the backbone of this group, no longer seem to participate.
No-one is indespensable, I've been a member of this forum for four and a half years and I've seen people come and go, that is the nature of forums, some people from the group you mention did see themselves as indespensable though and were under the impression that if/when they left that WSF would grind to a halt, clearly it hasn't, nor will it, I'm not saying that they won't be missed but the place certainly isn't going to fall apart without them. Due to Mike and Terry being away this week I've been approving all the new accounts, came in from work to find 25 newbies up there and there will no doubt be at least another 25 by the end of the day, not all of them will be prolific posters but out of the thousand or so new members that sign up every month there will no doubt be a few characters in there to fill the void left by the outgoing. :)

·
Registered
21,543 Posts
:headhurt::headhurt:Is it my imagination, or has this forums interest fallen off.
Just a question, but I get the impression that this forum interest and participation has fallen off. Maybe the stats can back this, but I have notice, that some people, who I would regard, as the backbone of this group, no longer seem to participate.
A few weeks ago some of the above, seemed to get hung out to dry, and just wondered, if this had caused the possible lack of interest.
This is a fishing forum, and I catch sea fish for the sport, and because I like to eat fresh fish. Seems to go against, the grain with some of the more vocal members.
Fillet and release, a great moto, and when you do have a good haul, I cannot see the problem of taking more than a days meals worth. Fish freezes well, and when you do take fish it makes up for the poor days.
Awaiting to be hung out to dry! :boxing::love:
:sun:My interest hasn't lessened, I still try to impart information and offer a view when asked. There is certainly less aggro now the "hug a fish brigade" have been moved to conservation or a deep hole. I don't answer questions or offer advice on topics that have been done to death in the past, I leave that to newcomers who need to become known. I'm always happy to help, especially on big fish topics.:sun:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
im still keen as mustard and will always try to help people out. yes there are some idiots on this site but you get them on all of them. i dont think all the aggro is because of catch and fillet or catch and release, i do both and have no problem with anyone doing what they like as long as its legal.

the negative comments on catch reports dont help and im glad there not allowed. you keep fish and get slaughtered, you release fish and get slaughterd. why do people fish?

end of the day this is the best fishing forum by a country mile. ive met some real top blokes on here and learned even more from everyone else. thats whats fishings all about.

you get keyboard warriors who like to stir rubbish, just ignore it.

G

·
This forum has changed my fishing experience massively.
Until 3 and a half years ago I woul struggle to find anyone to go fishing with, and thought I knew all there was to know about it.
I have since learned so much more and have improved my results probably fourfold. I also now have so many new fishing mates that I am sometimes spoiled for choice of who to go with.
The help and advice I have been given has been second to none, and as I sit here in Rosslare with Mike Jnr and Niggle, both people I would never have met if it were not for WSF, I know that I would not have even thought of attempting to fish such an event as this, without knowing what I now do.
Other forums will always spring up, and much like the taxi business, some will last and some will disappear just as quickly, but none will ever come close to WSF.
The others can offer smart prizes, and other gimmicks, but as we have found, few people ever stay away from this forum for long, whatever they may say in haste.
Some members seem to think that members are leaving WSF in droves, but as Mike has said, it is growing faster than ever before. Just like groups of friends some will move away and some will find other interests or not fit in any more, but there will always be new members and personalities to take their place .
When I joined in March 2006 there were around 6000 members, and that was after the forum had been around for 2 years. 3 1/2 years on we now have 35000. I think those figures show that WSF is here to stay.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
THe only problem with this forum is that it has got lots of people on it. Same as the problems with this country. Full of people. Wherever you find lots of people, you find problems. However, as much as people will never see eye to eye, there are also people that help to keep your faith in humanity. I would suggest that WSF has a higher than average number of those people, than the rest of society. Therefore, I prefer to be in WSF than in the pub, for example. Although I am happiest on the beach, at night, with no people causing problems for me....... ;)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i was looking at the stats for posts last night and was seeing 25 replys 250 views etc. it seems people are still using the site but cant be bothered to post anything. maybe its down to the C&R brigade being on peeps backs maybe not or is the fishing that bad nobody got anything worth posting!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
maybe all of the south west are just trying to work out where all the ray are, they would normally contribute to allot of catch reports . these do not attract much criticism with the majority being return . so if anyone can find them let me know

G

·
i was looking at the stats for posts last night and was seeing 25 replys 250 views etc. it seems people are still using the site but cant be bothered to post anything. maybe its down to the C&R brigade being on peeps backs maybe not or is the fishing that bad nobody got anything worth posting!
Go back to 2004 and you will see many threads with only one or two replies but hundreds of views. The proportion of replies to views is far higher now that it ever was.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts

:clap3:

:thumbs:

Regarding the catch reports, we changed the rules in April about this so we removed negative comments on catch reports...sadly not many of you are reporting them and no moderator is going to be able to see and deal with everyone. So unless the members report them, there is no guarantee they are going to be removed.
:(

:confused: (doesn't take much)

Could someone please give me an example of a negative catch report please. Or does it just mean you haven't caught anything :fishing1:

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Very simple, someone posts that they caught an 8lb bass and there is a picture of it ready to be prepped to be eaten in someones kitchen. Then you get someone posting that they should have let it go and all hell breaks lose. So there you have, a negative post, not a negative report. Does also work the other way with a picture of a bass that's released and someone posts that they should have kept it to eat, again all hell breaks lose and spoils a good report.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
know the site you are talking about in relation to those who have been hung out to dry and I've been let know some of the comments that have been posted on there. Most of which is complete and utter rubbish quite frankly. One person was banned permanently for breaching the rules, another left and asked for his account to be deleted on WSF and the other one got a temporary ban for breaking the strict policy we have on advertising via PM...for a whole day. Sadly some of the things that were put on that forum were a bit sensationalist to say the least. We’d never be that pathetic to ban people because they are using another site and we would expect other sites to act in the same responsible manner.

How can you be banned for advertising via PM. For example if somebody had bait for sale and advertised it to their friends via PM system would that be breaking the rules?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The fact that far more people view posts than put posts on the forum, as mentioned earlier, could simply mean that they have a query, do a search, and find the info that they wanted. That certainly applies in my case, and I'm sure that most members use the forum to improve their knowledge, rather than to boast about their superior equipment as frequently appears to be the case. :dry:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.