World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive only tried float fishing a few times but weather has been perfect.
however this weekend its changing and wind is approx 10 mph,

How does the wind effect float fishing ?
is it too much hassle trying too float fish in these conditions ?

Andy.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
It depends.......
If you are fishing with the wind behind you it can help as it can take your float out as much as you want. Also, if the wind is coming across you, hold the tip of your rod down as low as you can so the wind doesnt pull your line thus pulling your float. Its wind on your main line that makes a float wander, not wind on the float itself. Use thin 10lb line to cut down on this problem but set your drag low.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Don't be afraid to use really heavy floats in windy conditions.
I used to do a lot of coarse fishing where fish would drop the bait at the least resistance. It took me a while to adjust my ideas to suit sea fishing.
Basically choose the float that will support enough lead to cast easily in the conditions - that might be a few ounces. Looks like big floats but it is suprising how bold the bites from even small fish in choppy conditions can be.

Think it is Codhead Bob has some links to float fishing ideas he uses. Try a search on the Scottish forum.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
when on piers / walls, a method i often use (cos i usually have too many rods to keep check on to keep re casting it, is to cast out a grip, or plain lead only, then clip a float rig over your line and let it slide down to the water, it'll stay where it hits the water then,

worked for me at shoreham last weekend, 3 gar in an hour using that method.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
yet to try that one! but makes alot of sence if the float
is chubby enough to hook the fish on the take!
i take it with that you make the rig at a predetermined depth
and stick with it! not always a good idea but handy i imagine if you
wont to be consentrating on other stuff! ill give it a wurl my next op
if im busy!
had good fun last year fishing next to a stranger, if i cought one
id shout the depth over, if he cought one he would do like wise!
this way we had a bagging session ranging from 15ft to 3ft!
hitting the little hunting partys as they went through
had the best gar at 2.2lb absolute stonker on the carp rod!

p,s plums wot depth do you genraly set the static float to?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
when on piers / walls, a method i often use (cos i usually have too many rods to keep check on to keep re casting it, is to cast out a grip, or plain lead only, then clip a float rig over your line and let it slide down to the water, it'll stay where it hits the water then,

worked for me at shoreham last weekend, 3 gar in an hour using that method.
used to do that years ago , never considered it was used elsewere
thats weird lol

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I tried float for the 1st time last year as I usually winter fish on the bottom. Conditions varied. I eventually used a floating braid and found that this helped control the float and line especially when the weather was on the windy side. The main thing I noticed is the need to have sufficient lead under the float to ensure that wind and tide etc didn't prevent the float from sliding up to the stop. Less lead was needed with the floating braid and it was much easier to keep in contact with the float. I didn't try a big float set up that might have self set the hook so keeping contact with the float was important. I found a 1oz slim pencil float about 1ft long to be most useful but chop could pass over the top of it at times - fish dragged it or submerged it a lot more and for longer than the chop did which is fine off sea walls etc but not so good at a distance. Having said that though the set up could be drifted right across an estuary bay for anything up to 100yds or more without any problems at all.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.