World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
iAn houlton showd me how to cast so i was in my garden learning what ian houlton had showed me whem my mum told me to com in as it was thunder and lighting i said i was ok because i had my new wellys on and my cap from work it has asda on and its green like a army one. am i safe with my rod when its like thsi outside and ian houlton you didnt learn me very good i hit my neibours green house and he said he will break my rod if i do that again if he do can i sue him as im in my onw garden

·
Registered
325 Posts
How big is your garden Prawncocktail. I'm a rubbish caster but wouldn't dare cast in mine. On a serious note, it could be quite lethal if you had a crack off

Fred

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
hEllo fRed my garden is not big hang on i find out i counted 30 steps to the botom and 18 to the side what is a cRack offf

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
a crack off is when your line breaks during a cast. if i were you mate, i wouldnt be doing that again in a garden that size! if you want some practice go to a beach with no-one around and take your rod, reel and a few weights.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
i did that godfather and i hookd ian houltons tent he said i neeeds to pratise more so i foult i would try it in my garden. do you live neer me

·
Registered
633 Posts
:eek: Watch your back John, he's after you now. I'm flipping well glad i'm down here out of range in Cornwall (I HOPE)! :eek:

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
well that depends where you live. i dont think i can help you as i think i will have the same trouble as ian did, remember when casting ALWAYS make sure you have absolutly nothing anywhere near you. but please dont do it in your garden as it is very dangerous and will cause alot of damage if you crack off

·
Registered
73 Posts
Prawn mate.... my garden backs onto a field but i still won't cast there as i could get a crack off and hit a house so i go to the next field where i know i cant hit anything best to be safe than sorry mate and as codfather said please do not do it in the garden you could hit something or even worst somebody

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Prawnie

Try it in the asda car park of a nighttime when the shop is closed if you wear your cap and green boots you could tell security you are working overtime or you could try any sportsfield which is not being used at the time. Don't worry about snap offs its probably happened to the majority of anglers on this site one time or another

Woodster

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I would not fish/cast if lightning was about, especially if you use a highly conductive carbon fibre rod. Rubber boots will not help much. Remember a lightning bolt has aleady travelled several thousand metres through an incredibly non-conductive substance - the air!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Prawny,

I can only agree with what John (codfather) has said. Go and practice on a beach or somewhere sandy, where there are no people. Take a few leads etc and practice away without fear of killing anyone. I know a good sandy area that would suit your casting style down to the ground. It is a large sandy area called Libya and there aren't many people about. You may want to take plenty of water and a few sandwiches, as well as the leads.

On a serious note, why dont you come down to the fishathon next week. Come down on the Monday and Jason Willicombe will show you how to cast over 250 yds. I will even supply the rod and reel.

Cheers

Barry

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Prawn, when you cast that lead it is like shooting a gun, the lead on the end of your line is like a bullet, when you cast it could kill someone if it hits them. You must not practise in the garden or anywhere there are people or things you can hit. The best place is the beach when nobody is about. You can practise there as much as you like. Before you cast you should have a good look round, in front and behind to make sure nobody is near you.

You should never use a fishing rod if it is Lightning. Lightning jumps from the sky to the highest thing it can find, If you are on a beach then you will be the highest thing so the best thing to do is to put the rod down on the ground if it starts to thunder when you are out fishing. Pack up your other stuff and leave the beach holding your rod low and flat to the ground. It is very dangerous, best not to go if the weather forecast says there may be thunder storms where you live.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I was out storm-chasing (my other occasional hobby!) on Tuesday, and a big storm ran up the Cardigan Bay coast which I watched from the top of the beach at Borth. When it got close there was regular lightning hitting the sea only half a mile out and the storm was heading in my direction. Meanwhile, on the beach were three anglers with carbon rods in aluminium tripods; while in the sea several people carried on swimming!

It's quite miraculous there are not MORE lightning casualties in the UK with people taking such blatant risks!

Cheers - John

(www.geologywales.co.uk/storms if anyone's interested in dodgy weather activities!)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi John,

Excellent site and pictures.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had a couple of close calls with lightning when fishing, not funny and not recomended. I do however enjoy being in the thick of a good thunderstorm but not with my rods.

Oh by the way fantastic site John.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Reminds me of what happened, I think last year. Fishing mumbles pier with a few friends, I just happen to be feathering for mackerel and I was getting static shocks off my bass rod. You can imagine I was winding in like buggery. Put all the rods against the rails and walked away a few yards, the thunderstorm rumbled past us.

Thank god!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would need to whole of my garden to safely get a safe pendulkum swing in and its a big garden! and thats just t he swing, not even the full cast

1 - 19 of 19 Posts