World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bit of a broad question and i suposse it get back to the basic.
i recently bought some 4/0 hooks (100 of them)
when it got delivered , these hooks just about look like a 2/0 and definetly not a 4/0

question that i ask myself would different company sell different size of hooks differently? if that make sense. ie company a sell 1/0 as 1/0 whereas company b decide to sell 1/0 as a 2/0
how do i get measurement of how the hooks should measure ie Gape.

any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The quickest way to answer this is just to say there are no set parameters of sizes for hooks, a manufacturer will design a new hook pattern, they will then have samples made, and then they can pretty much call them whatever size they want, usually they try to match equal sizes against existing hooks to make it easier for sales.

·
Registered
21,126 Posts
a bit of a broad question and i suposse it get back to the basic.
i recently bought some 4/0 hooks (100 of them)
when it got delivered , these hooks just about look like a 2/0 and definetly not a 4/0

question that i ask myself would different company sell different size of hooks differently? if that make sense. ie company a sell 1/0 as 1/0 whereas company b decide to sell 1/0 as a 2/0
how do i get measurement of how the hooks should measure ie Gape.

any help would be appreciated.
:happy: Stick with what you know. Different firms have different sizes, some even have different sizes for their own hooks in different patterns. :doh:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i think ive seen a fair few sakumas snap in front of me , and this is evry season stuff, never been a fan of them.

that clarifies it , seller emailed me and said he stock only 1/0 and 4/0 so now looking at the hooks , its definetly not a 1/0 compared to all the hooks ive held before. but its way too small to be a 4/0 :/, but the response aboves seem to show that what a bloody choice it would be for someone to buy hooks ie buy a size one time, then decide to buy another pattern in same size and it comes a lot smaller or bigger.

but many thanks again. (i was actually mad when i saw it... loss/ misplaced my rig making box.. and bought this mid week for some pending half way rig now this come up and i dont even know what to do with it)
hope the thread help someone else as well

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
hooks do vary.

a kamasan aberdeen is a size smaller than other manufacturers for the same stated size.

a bigmouth or manta will be 2 sizes wider then say an aberdeed of the same stated size.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i supose it could be well i over expected. i did understand the fact of wide gap hooks and i bough some a while back ( expecting them to be wider as such and they were) but this one puzzled me big time. Theres always something to learn and it shall be hooks for now.

Regarding see before you buy.. lol tell any of the london guys that.. when the nearest shop is at least 15 miles away (carp shop) and the net is way cheaper ie not rocket science that one.( though im not saying i dont support sea angling shop. i do buy bits from the shop on the shoreline :)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Not only sizes but thickness as well, ever looked at a sakuma 445 6/0 circle compared to a 10/0 spearpoint extra? it could raise the titanic!!

As was said above, best bet is to see them in your hand first!! been there got the t shirt!!!

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
only buy in small amounts until you know that they are what you want and if unsure about a particular pattern .... ask here first.

i'm really particular about the hooks i use especially the gape, so compare any new ones against the ones i like to be sure they are the same by holding them together.

personally i try to stick with varivas hooks because i know there sizes and can trust them.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i might give the varivas a go for my next trip, never tried any in there range to be honest. (seem like i need to re stock my end tackle damn rig box gone missing)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Have a look at the Mustad hooks too, probably been around 10 x longer than any other manufacturer so their sizes are consistent.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Once bought some Mustad Nordic bends, much smaller than sakuma manta size per size,

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just had a look on-line and Mustad is the oldest hook manufacturer in the world so I guess their sizes are the originals since 1877 and sell more hooks world wide than any other brand? Sakuma started in 1999.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
the nordic bends will have been atleast 2 sizes smaller [gape] and the shape of a forged viking hook, very soft though.
very fine wired hooks so ok for small fish but wouldn't trust them on anything bigger than whiting,

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
very fine wired hooks so ok for small fish but wouldn't trust them on anything bigger than whiting,
i used them many moons ago for match fishing because they were so fine but now find theres hooks just as fine but a lot stronger and far sharper.

i loved the 3/0s for cod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts