World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that water clarity of my nearest mark is often pants after a east wind. I was wondering if there's any useful websites that give you an idea of current water clarity in a particular area? There's plenty on sea of state but can't find one that includes water clarity.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I rely on webcams for some marks that have them but, it's still not always easy to tell of coloured it might be.
A spell of prolonged rough weather will steer me away from some marks in the Purbecks.
Helpful intel from mates that have fished a mark recently is the most reliable way I'd say.
Often it's been a case of just turning up and hoping for the best but, over time you get to know when and where to avoid.
Maybe just don't go to your marks after
a spell of stiff easterlies.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was wondering if there's any useful websites that give you an idea of current water clarity in a particular area?
If only! Webcams and lots of trial and error are the only way that I know. Leave home with a Plan A and a Plan B, if like me it's a good drive to the coast.
I just look at the weather 3 days beforehand as onshore wind, rain run off, spring tides can all cause crappy vis. Knowing how long the colour drops out at your marks is usefu. On the flip side, gin-clear water can be a nightmare too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Joking aside does it really matter that much. I mean if a venue fishes good for say 80% of the season do fish really say to each other ain't worth going over there can't see properly. If it just about the fish seeing the lure then the lack of fish in the sea would suggest they ain't got long anyhow.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The recent easterlies over the past four weeks ( and beyond) have literally ‘killed it’ stone dead! Never known such a barren laden Autumnal assault on our shores!
Methinks another late seasonal ( Jan/ Feb) perusal of pred is in the offing…

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Watch the weather patterns.
I live on the North east coast. I know that anything from the north or east with a push on it will colour the water. But if that direction isnt prolonged and the winds arnt strong they wont put too much colour in the water. A prolonged spell of winds off the land will flatten the water and clear it up.
Studying the weather from home you get a decent idea of the water clarity. If its been coloured after recent weather or if the weather coming will clear it up.
Spring tides can also help to clear it up quicker.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I haven't done this yet, but have you considered getting magic seaweed pro...30 years of historic data, theyve added a lot more locations recently so could be useful. This would particularly useful if you go to a mark and conditions were good or bad, you could look at whats happened in the last few days weather wise and then know what to look for in the future. Also the windy app has a pop up in the bottom of the screen showing active nearby web cams. I like the fact that this function is also recorded over a period of weeks, days or hours and you can watch how the weather has effected the area in seconds.

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
As just mentioned.. I use XCWeather. You can see a week of upcoming winds. From this you can work out if the sea will be lifted or settled through the week

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sometimes it just impossible. Yesterday my local shoreline was calm and crystal clear, arrived there this morning at 6am to find a stiff onshore breeze that had coloured the water like coffee and brought the weed back in, back in bed by 6-30am.

I've got local webcams that are great for determining wind direction but not clear enough to evaluate clarity.

Then there's the debate about bass taking lures in darkness, do we get too hung up about clarity?

·
Registered
100 Posts
just pay close attention to the weather forecast, I find anything over 10mph is creating waves strong enough to kick up the sand and start colouring the water

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Sometimes it just impossible. Yesterday my local shoreline was calm and crystal clear, arrived there this morning at 6am to find a stiff onshore breeze that had coloured the water like coffee and brought the weed back in, back in bed by 6-30am.

I've got local webcams that are great for determining wind direction but not clear enough to evaluate clarity.

Then there's the debate about bass taking lures in darkness, do we get too hung up about clarity?
I agree. Yu can turn up in what you think are perfect conditions to find it all wrong. Winds out at sea lifting the water. A local river after rain will colour the water even a good frost can lift the sea.
Ive been doing well in darkness but have found that very dirty water has really put them off. A bit of colours ok

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

My own experience is that clarity is important in terms of doing things normally. Normally when it's clear I will catch a lot more bass on lures..this also applies to night fishing. I don't know if coloured water interferes with bass lateral line and nerve sensors some how. Where I have had success in coloured water is when the water is really shallow. I do have a couple of marks where chocolate water is better at revealing the bass than clear and calm..not always but its happened enough to give me a bit of confidence. If I was confronted by coloured water I would be more focussed on the shore line and would probably watch more than fish. One other thing is fish dead ends on flooding tide. This could be a gulley or where sand meets reef..any food will get pushed up in these dead ends and to me is a good a place to concentrate a weedless paddle tail.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Darkness does not obscure the lure anywhere as near as turbidity. I don't bother when visibility dips below 60cm, just don't catch enough to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I recon regular visits and a very close eye on data available (magic seaweed for me - tide ht, wind direction, swell wave ht etc)......... Or contacts with eyes on the ground.
My stretch hates the slightest sniff of a blow up on a big tide - especially from the SW because of the geology.
But it's hard to get to grips with the 'online' helpers IF you haven't on the ground experience of the marks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts