World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asking around and many anglers said that there's one rig that is ultimate and catches more fish than any other rig... sound meaningless i know as different fish targeted requires different rigs but is there one that we should stick to as the "Generic" rig? the Paternoster?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good question!
Personally, I favour the 'one up one down' rig as it allows one bait to be presented on the seabed and one off the seabed, so it is a compromise between a ledger and a paternoster. I also find it necessary to have both hooks 'clipped up' for casting. Of course you could incorporate a third hook above, making it 'two up one down' but the rig body would be very long to accomodate the third hook and baitclip, or you would have to use quite short snoods which would hinder good presentation of the bait. Therfore, 'one up one down' is a good all-rounder that will take most species of fish.

·
Registered
808 Posts
2 hook, 1 up 1 down, portsmouth loop. the most versatile rig of all time bar none IMO. Tangle free as the snoods dont overlap so can be lobbed unclipped, but clipped behind a flat back sinker can be launched huge distances with minimal bait damage and virtually foolproof 100% release.

·
Registered
5 Posts
im with these guys, if i arrived at a beach ive never fished before and was unshore what to go for i would use a one up one down rig with maybe a smaller hook (size 4) at the bottom to target flatties on the bottom and a larger hook (not massive size 1 or 2 ) hook on the top to target any thing else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts