World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the skippers sent me this and asked what type of wrasse it was I said ballan but thought I had better check here first

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
How can you tell it's a Ballan? Are they just the larger of the wrasse? Or different colour?

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
How can you tell it's a Ballan? Are they just the larger of the wrasse? Or different colour?
Ballan are the biggest species of wrasse but the colouring varies,ive had them strawberry coloured like the one above,bright green,orange,yellow,red with white spots etc etc. Then theres corkwings wrasse,cuckoo wrasse and goldsinny wrasse. It can be quite confusing!!!!

·
13,170 Posts
Ballan are the biggest species of wrasse but the colouring varies,ive had them strawberry coloured like the one above,bright green,orange,yellow,red with white spots etc etc. Then theres corkwings wrasse,cuckoo wrasse and goldsinny wrasse. It can be quite confusing!!!!
It is.......which is why wrasse are my favourite species. Despite living near an entirely inappropriate bit of shoreline!

My prettiest (striped like a perch) was from Lamorna. It came in camouflaged in a bundle of weed. Which I was just about to kick into the water; when it moved.

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Heres a few,ballan,cuckoo and corkwing.(the corkwing may be the wrong picture)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.