World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every beach this year seems to be rammed with people . Once isolated spots like East Lane and Shingle Street are rammed with cars parked all over the place causing problems even getting to the venues. Even arriving at 8pm or later there have been so many people and dogs around. I know that so many places like, theatres, cinemas, night clubs, pubs, restaurants are shut or limiting numbers so people are finding other places to go but will the numbers ever drop back down to pre-covid levels? So many people have found these places now.
I think back to decades ago when East Lane or Shingle Street were the back of beyond and you hardly saw anyone except anglers and locals.
Anyone fishing wise we went Friday evening and watched an awesome thunderstorm over the sea which was a long way off but spectacular. It was so warm that driving home at 2am it was still 22 degrees. It was just me and my better half this time but we found 7 rays to 7lb 8oz and a bonus whiting. It's actually nice now not having whiting and dogfish constantly taking the rays baits so you can just sit and wait for the rays. No crab activity either so nice relaxing fishing. It won't last long as the main whiting run is not many weeks away and the dogfish will return in numbers too. I would like to go for sole but from what friends are telling me about Sizewell, Dunwich and Aldeburgh the sole numbers are not that good and the venues are heaving with people. One angler who fished daylight at Sizewell said he might as well have set up in the middle of Trafalgar Square.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have noticed exactly the same John, my local beaches, even the 'out of the way' areas have been full of people.
Good to see you are still finding the rays, I have had my worst year for rays for over ten years!,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's weird Paul. Are that not showing at your usual haunts? I've not had a double this year although Adele had one at 11lb. I've had 5 over 9lb and 48 in total which with this being a lockdown year could have been much higher. There are lots of small rays which we try to avoid with bigger baits so lots of missed bites. We never used to see any small ones but the last three years more and more have shown up. I made up some three hooks rigs with smaller hooks with a view to seeing how many were out there but once I get on the beach I think "sod it I only want decent ones" and out come the pulleys again lol. I have heard that on the North Yorks coast they are getting more and more spotted rays and some blondes so I live in hope that they may show down here. I know the odd ones have shown but to be able to target them would be awesome.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I haven't tried the river this year John as 'prime time' coincided with lockdown, but beach wise numbers have been well down on the last few years and average size a lot smaller as you say.
I know of at least one spotted and one blonde this year locally, would be nice to see more!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Every beach this year seems to be rammed with people . Once isolated spots like East Lane and Shingle Street are rammed with cars parked all over the place causing problems even getting to the venues. Even arriving at 8pm or later there have been so many people and dogs around. I know that so many places like, theatres, cinemas, night clubs, pubs, restaurants are shut or limiting numbers so people are finding other places to go but will the numbers ever drop back down to pre-covid levels? So many people have found these places now.
I think back to decades ago when East Lane or Shingle Street were the back of beyond and you hardly saw anyone except anglers and locals.
Anyone fishing wise we went Friday evening and watched an awesome thunderstorm over the sea which was a long way off but spectacular. It was so warm that driving home at 2am it was still 22 degrees. It was just me and my better half this time but we found 7 rays to 7lb 8oz and a bonus whiting. It's actually nice now not having whiting and dogfish constantly taking the rays baits so you can just sit and wait for the rays. No crab activity either so nice relaxing fishing. It won't last long as the main whiting run is not many weeks away and the dogfish will return in numbers too. I would like to go for sole but from what friends are telling me about Sizewell, Dunwich and Aldeburgh the sole numbers are not that good and the venues are heaving with people. One angler who fished daylight at Sizewell said he might as well have set up in the middle of Trafalgar Square.
Same up here in parts of Scotland. Marks where we would have seen only a few folk in the distance now packed with people walking dogs, swimming, wave boarding and the like. We had to abandon a friday flounder session near Dunbar as we could not get parked for cars lining the road. I don't think had we got parked we would not have had any peace anyway. The beach from a viewpoint on a hill we stopped at on the way home was packed. I'm coming round to thinking of writing this summer off for fishing and leaving it till the winter when the cod fishing gets going up here in November. Good job on your catch :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Rivers and lakes the same, ive come to conclusion its the result of the''Great Furlough Holiday '', and ''working from home '' I ve never seen so many inflatable yaks and paddle boards on the broads. Its not just weekends .More fishing too. The ''second wave'' seems a probability not a possibility to me, but it wont be so cosy next time , Government cant keep bailing out , Furlough wont last forever.. and winter will be here soon enough. I could of course be wrong , but a trip on a train from Norwich to Lowestoft a few weeks ago when a large group of tipsy revellers were singing ''if you're furloughed and you're happy ,clap your hands ,leads me to think im not.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A second wave is unfortunately become a very real possibility. Too many people think the pandemic is over and it most certainly isn't. People wear masks and think they're safe but there are not. A mask does not protect you it only offers some protection to others from you. This has been and still is a killer. I am only fishing at night and avoiding gong anywhere during the day that I don't have to. I enjoy a bit of match fishing but that for me is months away. I'm of an age where this is a real threat but luckily I grew up in an age where we were taught respect for others and we understand what common sense is. Far too many people these days are only concerned with themselves and as a result are risking the health and potentially the lives of others.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Far too many people these days are only concerned with themselves.
Something I have thought for a long while, most people have absolutely no respect for anyone except themselves nowadays.
Can only blame the system, teachers not allowed to discipline, police not allowed to use any force etc etc.......

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You should try the North Norfolk Riviera.
It’s crawling up here!
Watched a bloke in a huge Porsche SUV scrape his wing mirror for about 20 yards up Blakeney High Street the other day, road too narrow for his huge car, cheered me up so it did.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Read this a while back but before it was posted I was involved in a stationary jam at Stiffkey, I squeezed through but I don't know how the large motorhome directly behind me fared or for how many more minutes they all sat there. We've an interesting situation developing at Bacton with parking and I've now effectively lost yet another kayak launch site. Heard on the radio this morning that double parking at Overstrand lead to the bus being stuck for 2 hours. It will only get worse, we've several tens of thousands of homes to go up yet. Long and the short of it is that I'm going out and about less and am far less free than I was even 10 and 20 years ago.

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
in the southeast were rammed out
beaches packed like sardines
i havent been out as i know the m20 m25 m2
are going to be murder
been thinking of going around 1am
to miss traffic
have a kip till the tides right

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apparently 'staycation' bookings for next year are already up, so looks like it could be permanent. That is unless we get a vaccine in the meantime and then guaranteed a lot of people will cancel their UK holidays and jet off to Spain etc. Another good reason for the boffins to get a move on I say.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Went to felixtowe last Sunday morning at 10 am apart from the odd Walker had as far as we could see pretty much to yourself, 10.30 bunch of chavs turn up and start swimming right in front of my mates rods. Dont doubt their right to do so, just their total lack of common courtesy and pig ignorance for anyone but themselves, there was literally all the beach free. Seems the way now, shingle street on the Saturday no one fishing within hundreds of meters either side of us a dozen kayaks pull up do a few little circles then pull up ashore under the rod tips. These are the sort of selfish cants I think will ruin UK beaches.... Dunwich has been heaving apparently doing sat night there, I expect more of the same.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts