1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
looks like it's had some sort of disease looking at the last pic. i got lots of them in my traps in the harbour last year. funny things, especially when you see one for the first time.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers gents, yes they are weird things big guy.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
yes its a pipefish ,related to the sea horse family, the male looks after the eggs of there young after the female disperses them into his pouch.................good pics, nice to see one, ive seen them in an aquarium.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
yes its a pipefish ,related to the sea horse family, the male looks after the eggs of there young after the female disperses them into his pouch.................good pics, nice to see one, ive seen them in an aquarium.
we have seen loads of them all winter on the northeasty coast. usually hanging out of wevery fish we caught. there has been so many of them here they have been blamed for the poor cod season as all our fish up here when caught have been gorging on them. at one stage they were washed up on a beach in heaps ankle deep.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
In that case I can add it to my species list as I caught one at Orford the other night wrapped around my hook. LOL.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
in north wales they get a huge pipefish '[ dont know the species name] they are about 18in long and can be as thick as a finger. these actually take baited hooks and regularly get weighed in during comps.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
in north wales they get a huge pipefish '[ dont know the species name] they are about 18in long and can be as thick as a finger. these actually take baited hooks and regularly get weighed in during comps.
i think its probably the great pipefish, these are the largest species of pipefish within british waters.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In that case I can add it to my species list as I caught one at Orford the other night wrapped around my hook. LOL.

I would Edgey!

Cheers for all the info gentlemen, Many thanks.:) :) :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Marks? :g:

I need one for this species hunt I am doing I am a bit behind :secret:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe that this is a snake-pipefish: Entelurus aequoreus.
the "bubbles" on the skin remind me of the "gas bubble Disease", common in pipefish that are kept in aquaria.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I foul hooked one a while back that seemed to be carrying eggs as you say.

·
Global Moderator
22,681 Posts
did you eat it?

G

·
Snake pipefish numbers have risen a hundredfold since 2002 and their range has expanded. Poor eating for the birds not much nutrition in them.

Kittiwake chick standing on a mat of uneaten snake pipefish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts