World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Island of Mull, early May

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Davy Holt 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

Gone a bit quiet up here so looking forward to summer !

In the meantime im going over to Mull on hols at the end of april beginning of may and hoping to do some shore fishing.

Unfortunately i dont know anything about the place :giveup: and theres not loads on the forums so if anyone has any top marks and tactics for a spot of fishing i'd be well gratefull :secret: . Is there a tackle shop to get bait on Mull ?

Cheers for the help!

#4 ·
Hi sorry for lack of info, forgot mull was so huge!

Im basically used to cod fishing but im guessing its not so good over there and i fancy a change anyway. Dont know if spinning jellies for pollack at some deeper marks is any good ? or going float fishing for wrasse ? or even for doggies etc! Ill try anything really. I guess for doggies fish baits are best ?

Im staying on the east coast near tobermory but have a car so can move anywhere really !

I had a look in the search but things change a bit and there was lots on mackie bashing thats a bit premature. Im only on the island for a week so want to reduce searching for marks to likely areas.:fishing:

#5 ·
Aye, cod are not going to be a good target species, a bit rarer than hens teeth over here :D

Should be a few more pollock about I would hope in another few weeks, they have been thin on the ground the last month or so. I'll keep my ears open on Mull for you and see whats happening mearer the time.

The bay at Fishnish is I am told carpeted with doggies just now (but there's few anywhere else - again that will probably change over the next few weeks.)

I will give you an update in a couple of weeks.

#9 ·
I'm sorry, but to say you pretty much fished the entire 300 miles plus of Mulls coastline in a few days driving around is just utterly ridiculous.

Mull is little different to other parts of the seas around the UK. Far less fish than there should be. However to say that it is all but barren is laughable. It has an incredibly rich and varied range of fish. That you in driving around and randomly fishing a few spots didn't catch is hardly surprising.

To fish anywhere successfully needs a knowledge of the times and places where fish are likely to be caught. Mull is no different to anywhere else in that respect. Unfortunately the whole coastline receives very little concentrated fishing effort and therefore success is difficult to achieve. I know several people that fish Mull very successfully year round (all locals - and fishing for the pot rather than pure sport anglers) and they can be a wee bit reticent about the when's and where's, but there are plenty of fish to be caught.

A few years ago I moved to a small island with a total shoreline of around 16 miles. I was told that shore fishing was a waste of time. There where no fish around the shore. In the time I was there I guess I got to know about quarter of the shoreline reasonably well. In terms of fishing potential I guess I got to know less than a mile very well. But I know that I could go back there tomorrow and expect to catch fish almost any time I wanted.

However I never had so much as a bite the first 6 months I was there!

Fishing almost virgin locations aint as easy as many people imagine!!

#10 ·
i have fished Mull a couple of times and found the fishing to reasonably good.
huge numbers of doggies, ling and conger from the rock marks. in the summer mackerel and pollock.

the road runs along side Loch na Keal and there were a few rock marks next to the road and we caught fish at them all. parking was a bit limited as its a narrow road. the piers at night were infested with dogfish.

i'm sure the angler who puts a bit of thought into it could have a bumper time across there. i was with my wife the times i have been so have been limited to a snatched few hours here and there.

#12 ·
right. i fish it for a few days and catch little and i dont have a clue, but you fish it for 6 MONTHS and catch NOTHING and thats somehow better?

the place is pretty much dead apart from a few local knowledge only spots, by your own admission, so my advice was right on the money.

its not a good place to go for fishing.

#13 ·
right. i fish it for a few days and catch little and i dont have a clue, but you fish it for 6 MONTHS and catch NOTHING and thats somehow better?

the place is pretty much dead apart from a few local knowledge only spots, by your own admission, so my advice was right on the money.

Hmmmm, didn't someone mention you are a lawyer, or trainee?

Nice to see a lawyer that doesn't bother to read and understand things before he offers his opinion.

Read it again and then repost!

#14 ·
Hiya,

Your advice couldn't have been further off the money if you had tried, as it has already been said there are plenty (not only local knowledge) marks that will produce fish :)

:giveup: :giveup: :giveup: :giveup:

#16 ·
Hmmmm, didn't someone mention you are a lawyer, or trainee?

Nice to see a lawyer that doesn't bother to read and understand things before he offers his opinion.

Read it again and then repost!
I think thats lawyers in general is it not!!

Cheers for the help nick, if you have more nearer the time just drop me a pm or post back on here!

Cheers

#18 ·

Engage brain xchrisx! :)
3 boat blank days on good summer marks for me in three trips this April. Why? Too early for the fish to be in that area. You don't find out till you try though. And you don't write it off because of that. It all adds to your knowledge base. So next year in early April I won't bother.
6 shore trips at the right time for good sport this winter to a good mark. Blanked every time. 7th trip 8lb Cod and 3 others 4-5 lbs.
"Ahhhhhhhaaaa" says xchrisx "I get how this works now"......:g:

#20 ·
xchrisx; my opinion only counts when its paid for.

im never going back to mull again. its crap and full of tourists.

Pollock
LSD
Thornback
Poor Cod
A strange worm like thing that was about 6ft long! ????

Were you near a mirror by any chance, when you encountered that last thing?:g: :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.