World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone.

I know there have been recent enquiries on here regarding fishing on Islay, but...

After an absence of nearly 26 years, I will be staying in Port Wemyss on the south west of Islay in a couple of weeks.

I used to spin for pollock etc when I was younger but I was just wondering what other species I could possibly catch.

The area I will be fishing is the rocks between Port Wemyss and the island of Orsay. The stretch of water is roughly about 200 metres wide, deep and fairly fast flowing. As I mentioned earlier, I only used to spin, but I was wondering what species I could likely catch by firing a bait on the bottom. It is also covered in thick kelp so I expect to lose a few rigs.

When I was younger, we used to find mermaids purses by the bucketload on the beach at Port Wemyss. Don't know whether they were dogfish or whatever, but we used to see dogfish sometimes swimming about the small jetty there.

Bait I am planning on using would be bluey, mackerel, squid, and lugworm.

I know some people might not have specific advice for Islay, but was just wondering if anyone has fished under similar conditions and what they caught.

Here is a link to google map but don't know if it will work.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=55.67531,-6.508305&spn=0.002795,0.006877&t=h&vpsrc=6&z=17

Thanks in advance

John

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi fife lad, been fishing islay for a few years now, wife comes from the island and we are there at least four times a year, you have the right baits, of which mackie is the best, I've caught doggies and huss from port wemys, loads of coalie and saith codling and a 4ilb ling,doggies are prolific in the area,and near portnahaven you will get mullet. keep yer pecker up and enjoy

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi fife lad, been fishing islay for a few years now, wife comes from the island and we are there at least four times a year, you have the right baits, of which mackie is the best, I've caught doggies and huss from port wemys, loads of coalie and saith codling and a 4ilb ling,doggies are prolific in the area,and near portnahaven you will get mullet. keep yer pecker up and enjoy
Cheers for the info mate.

Heading there tomorrow and back on Friday.

John

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just back after a wild week on Islay. Didn't think I'd get any fishing done but managed a couple of hours.

I tried the pebble beach just north of Portnahaven but only managed a couple of casts even though i was hoping for a bass.

It was pretty wild

Had a run up to Saligo Bay but again too wild lol

My last chance of catching was on Thursday and the weather calmed down a bit, and managed an hour fishing off the rocks at Port Wemyss. Was fishing a Ron Thomson Nordic Herring spinner and after 20 mins caught this, a wee coalie I think??

I managed another slightly bigger one then I caught a Pollack that was about 2lb. Didn't manage to get pics of the last two as the missus was bored and decided to bolt back to the house with the camera.

I handed them in to an old friend, 96 year old woman, who has salted them about an hour after they were caught and will have them for her hogmanay dinner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts