World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I wonder if anyone from Lewis can advise how close to low water the following slips are useable for launch/recovery? - Carloway, Portnaguran, Port of Ness, and Skigersta?
thanks
Mods, please move if this is posted in the wrong section of the forum

·
Registered
752 Posts
Carloway slip is safe to use at all stages of the tide and is in a very sheltered location.
Portnaguran can, I think, be used at all stages of the tide although it is exposed to west winds......use Brevig in a westerly!
Port of Ness can be used at all times aside from low water, but it is very exposed to south or east winds and it is unusable in any swell (which may be coming round the island from the west)
No idea about Skigersta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carloway slip is safe to use at all stages of the tide and is in a very sheltered location.
Portnaguran can, I think, be used at all stages of the tide although it is exposed to west winds......use Brevig in a westerly!
Port of Ness can be used at all times aside from low water, but it is very exposed to south or east winds and it is unusable in any swell (which may be coming round the island from the west)
No idea about Skigersta.
Many thanks Fredo, very useful. By Carloway do you mean the bit in the inner loch where the boats are moored, I wasn't sure if there's also one at the pier or not?
Forgot about Brevig - is that also useable at all tide states?
Assume you mean north winds being a problem at Ness, if I'm imagining it right!

·
Registered
752 Posts
North or east winds are a problem in Ness, but it could be impossible to launch in a flat calm due to the swell.
Yes, I was referring to the slip in the inner loch at Carloway.
There are another couple of "off the radar slips" used by sea anglers which offer easy access to some of the better fishing areas. There is a slip in the small bay to the north east of Eoropie beach. I know some small boats use it but I have never seen it.
Likewise, there is a slip at either Bragar or Shawbost that is worth looking for on Google Earth. It is very popular.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think Brevig is useable at all stages of the tide, and getting in and out of the harbour is ok except in a strong SE wind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Brevig is useable at all stages of the tide, and getting in and out of the harbour is ok except in a strong SE wind.
That Bragar slip looks excellent, though a bit of a steam to the Carloway fishings. Are there any decent marks nearer Bragar? - not looking for any state secrets on the forum, just pointers in the right direction.
Eoropie one looked scary! Bay full of nasty looking rocks. I suppose proximity to the grounds west of the Butt is the attraction, but I might leave it to braver souls.
thanks again for your advice Fredo.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There is a lot of good fishing all the way up the coast. Quite often, the SYSAC boat heads up to Barvas for the day (or used to)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fishing is excellent of Bragar at the moment with some nice Spur dogs going into double figures ang any amount of Cod, pm me for info about the slip and the fishing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For Loch Roag fishing - You should also consider the slip at Breascleit and on Great Bernera there are very good slipways at Kirkibost harbour and also Valasay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts