World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My family and I will visit the isle of Skye in mid september. Really looking forward to our visit. We are staying in Carbost for 5 days and my dad and I would like to try to catch sea bass, pollack, mackerel, cod etc. with spoons (e.g. abu garcia Toby spoon 28 gr.), shads (e.g. spro gutsbait uv 11cm 14gr) and pilkers (e.g. spro pilk X 21gr).

We both will probably be fishing with a Shimano Beastmaster STC 240/270 MH, matching reel and braided fishing line + fluorocarbon leader of approx. 1 meter (10+ kg).

Do you have any tips with regard to fishing spots, methods, lures, clothing/footwear etc.? I have read that Neist point is worth a try, which is +1 hour drive from Carbost?

P.S. are the Talisker and/or Raasay distillery worth a visit?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Reactions: SeabassSkye

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you’re looking to fish Neist those lures won’t do you much good unless you trail a 3-4oz bullet lead in front of them - strong tides and anywhere up to 100+ft depth. Even then if it’s a spring tide you’ll struggle.

Have a read of the stuff in the link Berkley has posted above - should give an idea of the area. Pooltiel is a bit shallower so will be more suited to the gear you’re using - and it can throw up some nice pollock and wrasse amongst other things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the information. Very helpful. Will check out the link, thanks Berkley! Besides the fishing, do you guys have any other recommendations that me and my family must do or see (preferably near a good fishing spots of course :BigGrin:) since my girlfriend and my mom are not really into fishing? Perhaps we can combine fishing with a nice walk and sightseeing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Take a drive along to Portnalong, the Taigh Ailean hotel/bar do a decent meal at a decent price, stunning views over Loch Harport if you get the right table........ on the fishing Roag on Loch Bracadale threw up some nice pollock and a couple of mackerel and would suit your set up as it’s not overly deep and theres no tide issues, roughly a half hour drive from Carbost, it’s another option at least, taking a trip up next week, let you know how it goes, cheers & good luck, can be an cracking experience if you get it right :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Alan for your further information. Again really helpful. Good luck next week and looking forward to your fishing report. :wink:

Cheers!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not long returned from a week on Skye. Wasn’t a fishing holiday as such because I was with the family and the weather was bad on a number of days -but got a few sessions in.

We stayed at Colbost on loch Dunvegan. The thing that struck us was how difficult it was to get around on the single track roads given how many tourists driving camper vans and hire cars were gumming up the roads and passing places. Really felt for the locals. We got to Neist point at 8am when it was still quiet (saw a pod of Minke whales just offshore). The clouds of midges stopped me from spinning off the rocks directly to the south of the lighthouse on that day but it improved on the little jetty in the bay. I blanked but didn’t fish for long because I was with the kids. Amazing spot but it was heaving in the car parking areas when we left at about 10:30.

My best fishing was a short kayak paddle to the small island about 300 yards NE of Colbost slipway, fishing off a low cliff into crystal clear deep water, with 1-2lb pollack every cast, (and one much bigger where my 20lb braid broke on the lift-up). Things went quieter when Mr Seal turned up... Fabulous afternoon. Dennett super sprat metal lures outfished everything else weirdly.

Plenty of small pollack from the shore at Colbost, where you get into deeper water off the rocks north west of the slipway. Was surprised by a golden eagle swooping up from behind the little headland we were on, being chased by a heron just here. Can’t have been more than 15 yards away. It dwarfed the heron, absolutely stunning. Skye is so full of wildlife.

Had a good break, I think the challenge for me would be to find species other than the thousands of young pollack jumping on your lure! An inflatable kayak is a great addition to the luggage to get to little islands, even if you’re a landlubber like me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Where did you hire the kayak btw?
Didn’t hire one. We bought an Itiwit 3 seater that packs into a bag about the size of a medium suitcase -goes in the roof box. Then ratchet-straps on top of the roof box for short journeys to launch. Also provides somewhere to sit with a beer waiting for the weather to improve. I don’t venture out unless the water’s flat and there’s little wind.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/3-man-inflatable-kayak-orange-id_8387563.html

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
We go up to Skye each year but sorry have never fished near Carbost.

As we stay at the same spot I can say that the ledges in Staffin have always been productive for a decent stamp of pollock on the lure gear. When I first walked over the ridge from the A855 I couldn’t believe my luck - fantastic looking rock marks. As it’s a fair drive from Carbost maybe you can double up with a walk in the Quiraing as it’s a truely beautiful part of Skye (as is most of it tbf). If interested, park at the Staffin harbour car park and walk south round the bay and you’ll get to the rocks (maybe 15 minute walk) and you can rock hop all morning if needs be.

I’ve tried metals here before but the kelp beds are pretty unforgiving so whilst I have caught on them you’re likely to lose some gear. I fish soft plastics rigged Texas, weedless paddle tails or sand eel types.

As for the Talisker distillery, sure if you’ve never been on a tour of one check it out. Also decent seafood at the oyster Shed and a great view of
Bruach na Frìthe from the loch on a clear day.

Have fun

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi mate, ive just got back from Skye - had a great time despite the weather! I fished every day with success but my best two days were with a local guide. He will save you a lot of time trying to find the fish. His prices are reasonable and he knows his stuff - http://luremaniac.blogspot.com/

Im not sure if its worth targeting bass but the pollock fishing up there will keep you busy ;-)!

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

Thanks again for the information. So I am leaving to Skye tomorrow and guess what... top eye of my fishing rod broke. Think I don’t have the time to repair it + that will affect my warranty. So I think I have to buy a new fishing rod. Is there a store on Skye selling fishing rods? Or is it better to stop at Inverness? I found a store over there called Graham & Co.

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
There’s a shop in Portree that’s also a bike shop that sells some gear. To be honest I haven’t looked at the rods in there but it’s definitely not a big selection. Inverness will be a better shout but you could always call ahead.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Take any gear you need with you mate, I literally took my entire collection in the van as people have said before there is not a broad selection in teh shops in Skye

1 - 18 of 18 Posts