World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas/Girls
I am about to spend a week on the Isle of Wight and hoped some of you could point me in the right direction for a bit of fishing success.
I don't want anything too challenging as I have my 70 yr old Father in Law and my 10 yr old son. Can you help me out please?
Regards
Huw

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hi Fellas/Girls
I am about to spend a week on the Isle of Wight and hoped some of you could point me in the right direction for a bit of fishing success.
I don't want anything too challenging as I have my 70 yr old Father in Law and my 10 yr old son. Can you help me out please?
Regards
Huw
What area are you staying mate? There are members from all around the island who can help.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hi Huw,

Love the IoW, used to be a regular visitor, you are a lucky man. Unfortunately, you've picked a rather dodgy time of year to go and much of the best fishing involves long hikes and/or cliff descents. For easy access Fort Victoria or Yarmouth Pier, both in the Solent, are worth a shot and can turn up anything. The access to Compton beach used to be pretty gentle, it's a good bass beach, especially when there's a bit of sea on, but it can get mobbed by surfers during daylight. I prefer the 'back of wight' beaches myself, but your old fella is probably going to struggle with the descent. I also believe that the Military Road went seawards a couple of years back so I don't know what the access to these famous beaches is like these days?

When me and Mark first went out there in '97, Mike England had the Tackle Box at Totland and was top notch for bait and info. Can also recommend you pop into Scotties in Newport as they'll know where's fishing too. I'm assuming they're both still there as I haven't had the chance to go back for a while now.

If you can get hold of 'Fish Wight' by George Bernowicz (1995) it contains pretty much all you'll need to know. Hope you have a good trip.

Cheers, P.T.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, I've been away on business and just got back to the replies here. Thanks for your tips Prof and Solehunter I'll be staying at Whitwell nr Ventnor starting this Saturday. If there are any more pointers from fellow members, I'd be chuffed for all or any help.
Cheers
Huw

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry guys, I've been away on business and just got back to the replies here. Thanks for your tips Prof and Solehunter I'll be staying at Whitwell nr Ventnor starting this Saturday. If there are any more pointers from fellow members, I'd be chuffed for all or any help.
Cheers
Huw

Duncan Macfarlan now owns the Tackle Box his number is 01983 752269 and he does some great bait, his rag worm is especially good as it fizzes having been stored in vermiculight (poorly spelt)

Anyway, spent last weekend out there but blanked for 4 days, despite reports of bass being caught to sand eels, which I got from Duncan, crabs galour though, but I understand there is a cure. I fished Yarmouth, from Norton Grange round to Fort Victoria, slight tides, but they run well so you'll need at least a 5oz weight to hold the bottom. Two hook one up one down serves well and the second rod should be a pulley pennel loaded with sand eel, hopefully your have more luck than me.

Have a great time, if you need Duncan's mobile number to order bait or need to know where he is as he has moved from Totland, slightly in land to Freshwater, let me know.

Regards, TD

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cheers
Huw

Huw,

Sorry forgot to mentin, Compton fishes very well for rays and bass, same bait, sand eeels, Freshwater Bay is good also for flatties if there is a SW blowing, tackle up near to the rocks, the pub to your rear, so no problem getting a wettie. Also try Yarmouth on the Eastern side, good parking and safe ground to fish into the bay, plus if you like a little hike, Blackgang Chine is good, once you get down to the beach, watch out for the wind though anything above a force 4 and it's dangerous from the SW.

Tight lines TD

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Huw,

Sorry forgot to mentin, Compton fishes very well for rays and bass, same bait, sand eeels, Freshwater Bay is good also for flatties if there is a SW blowing, tackle up near to the rocks, the pub to your rear, so no problem getting a wettie. Also try Yarmouth on the Eastern side, good parking and safe ground to fish into the bay, plus if you like a little hike, Blackgang Chine is good, once you get down to the beach, watch out for the wind though anything above a force 4 and it's dangerous from the SW.

Tight lines TD
Tony I live at the bay if you catch a flattie there it would be a miracle,as for the tacle box these days forget it,it,s always closed shame miss information(flattie at the bay) as a result you had know fish!!!!!!
It is fishing well in certain area,s pm me hugh.

·
Registered
288 Posts
**** Tony I live at the bay if you catch a flattie there it would be a miracle,as for the tacle box these days forget it,it,s always closed and full of miss information as a result you had know fish!!!!!!

Hugh, have PM'd you TD

·
Registered
381 Posts
**** Tony I live at the bay if you catch a flattie there it would be a miracle,as for the tacle box these days forget it,it,s always closed and full of miss information as a result you had know fish!!!!!!

Totaly agree needles flatty in the bay thats a laugh full stop as for the tackle shop what can i say its fuc/ing sh/t the locals dont go in there because its pants and you dont get greeted to well always a pack of lies to be heard as well its bol/acks.:uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh: WHY:g:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts