World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm on the Isle of Wight from yesterday for a week, staying in Cowes. Yesterday I went and got some Ragworm, Frozen Mackerel and Frozen Squid and headed off to Yarmouth Pier to see if anything was being caught. 2 people had been fishing all morning and hadn't had a single knock.

Is there anywhere else on the Island where I may have a better chance. I also have my family with me so I can't be fishing any of the night tides. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
All a bit quiet in the Solent at the moment from what I've heard and the sessions I've had. The low water temps aren't helping. I'm not on the island myself and I'm sure others will give better advice, but if you're just trying to catch then one place you could try is the front between Yarmouth and Fort Victoria. Loads of small wrasse by your feet, up to a pound or so, and casting onto the cleaner patches in between the broken ground have had bass.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi, I'm on the Isle of Wight from yesterday for a week, staying in Cowes. Yesterday I went and got some Ragworm, Frozen Mackerel and Frozen Squid and headed off to Yarmouth Pier to see if anything was being caught. 2 people had been fishing all morning and hadn't had a single knock.

Is there anywhere else on the Island where I may have a better chance. I also have my family with me so I can't be fishing any of the night tides. Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Norton Wall,Cowes/Gurnard easy fishing.Fort Vic is almost unfishable due to snags ! HTH.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All a bit quiet in the Solent at the moment from what I've heard and the sessions I've had. The low water temps aren't helping. I'm not on the island myself and I'm sure others will give better advice, but if you're just trying to catch then one place you could try is the front between Yarmouth and Fort Victoria. Loads of small wrasse by your feet, up to a pound or so, and casting onto the cleaner patches in between the broken ground have had bass.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
Just because two people aren't catching doesn't mean there's nothing there. I Iived in Yarmouth as a kid and never had any problem catching fish all year round on the pier. Most people fish and cast away from the structure under their feet that's holding fish. Try heading up around Yarmouth mill with the kids and some nets to collect some live shrimps, these are great baits around the pylons of the pier with light outfits. You will need to try around several pylons to find different species, not just at the end of the pier either, start about 2/3rds up.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Just because two people aren't catching doesn't mean there's nothing there. I Iived in Yarmouth as a kid and never had any problem catching fish all year round on the pier. Most people fish and cast away from the structure under their feet that's holding fish. Try heading up around Yarmouth mill with the kids and some nets to collect some live shrimps, these are great baits around the pylons of the pier with light outfits. You will need to try around several pylons to find different species, not just at the end of the pier either, start about 2/3rds up.
Not necessarily true and we have just had our coldest April on record with mainly N or E winds which have kept the water temps a few degrees lower than normal and judging by the large number of fishless and often biteless reports from many different venues it has definitely put the fish off, or they have not yet turned up, probably the latter as not everyone writing a report is a bad angler.

That's why it's called Fishing and not Catching (y)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I get where you're coming from and agree with what you're saying. I've not said there's absolutely nothing about or that I'm catching no fish whatsoever, just that it's more quiet than it usually is at this time of year. I'm still finding fish but noticeably less than usual, e.g. blanking for the first time at a mark last week which I've fished frequently all year round in the past. Others who are local to me have also found it particularly quiet. Was just trying to give some pointers to where I think is most likely to result in a fish based off my limited experience of the area, tho as said I'm not on the island at the moment so there's probably others who would give better advice.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Would you get away with a couple of hours at daybreak ?
That would probably be your best chance of of a fish and be back for breakfast before you are missed !

·
Registered
11,119 Posts
Not necessarily true and we have just had our coldest April on record with mainly N or E winds which have kept the water temps a few degrees lower than normal and judging by the large number of fishless and often biteless reports from many different venues it has definitely put the fish off, or they have not yet turned up, probably the latter as not everyone writing a report is a bad angler.

That's why it's called Fishing and not Catching (y)
Im only going by how I found it when I lived there, we always caught fish even mid winter but very few dropped down the the 6lb line and tiny leads and live shrimps we used as kids. It was mostly small pollack of around 12ins we caught in winter. Also as kids we tended to fish in places and in ways that conventional angling tend to miss out on. Are there no flounder in the river anymore, these were always a pretty reliable target when we were digging rag around the bridge or up by the Mill.

When you say the water is a few degrees cooler, the water charts are showing around 10'c right now, thought that was about right for this time of the year for the solent ? Fishtrack Southwest England SST and Chlorophyll Charts

One of the university's recently did surveys (filmed) on what was under the pier year round, which was quite surprising how good the marine life was there.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
Im only going by how I found it when I lived there, we always caught fish even mid winter but very few dropped down the the 6lb line and tiny leads and live shrimps we used as kids. It was mostly small pollack of around 12ins we caught in winter. Also as kids we tended to fish in places and in ways that conventional angling tend to miss out on. Are there no flounder in the river anymore, these were always a pretty reliable target when we were digging rag around the bridge or up by the Mill.

When you say the water is a few degrees cooler, the water charts are showing around 10'c right now, thought that was about right for this time of the year for the solent ? Fishtrack Southwest England SST and Chlorophyll Charts

One of the university's recently did surveys (filmed) on what was under the pier year round, which was quite surprising how good the marine life was there.
Sure there are a few fish being caught, but there are a lot of anglers putting up beach reports and they mainly say the same, no fish and hardly any bites.

I've done 5 trips since the beginning of April, 4 at my my local beach on Hayling Island and I haven't had a bite yet, I've done 1 at Southbourne for Plaice which is a pretty reliable beach for Plaice and between 3 of us with 6 rods in 10 hours we managed two bites and two plaice, bottom line is the Spring/Summer species haven't arrived yet because the water is too cold, but day time temps look like rising to average or above average later this month, so I'm hopeful the fish will be biting soon and I'm heading back to Southbourne in a couple of weeks time

My boat is out of the water for annual maintenance work, but I will be out after the Tope and hounds by the end of the month

·
Registered
239 Posts

I'm sure there are still some fish to be caught like you say especially using LRF tactics along the pier. The last time I saw a flounder in the river there was a good 10-12 years ago, they've almost disappeared from the South Coast it seems with only a few marks left where they can be realistically targeted. Over the last 10 years I've visited, there seems to be an increasing number of seals in the river as well.
The water temp was 8C up until a couple of weeks ago where I think it was the coldest April on record or something. You're right though it has gone up significantly in the last week despite the colder weather and winds so hopefully the fishing starts to pick up as well.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
You can only catch what is in front of you and judging by the number of reports including my own I would suggest there is not a lot in front of us, but it will get better and you have to be in it to win it. (y)

·
Registered
251 Posts
There`s plenty of flounders in the Medina being caught atm you just need to know where to fish and a few wrasse coming out off the Totland to Colwell landslip...Alan

·
Registered
138 Posts
There`s plenty of flounders in the Medina being caught atm you just need to know where to fish and a few wrasse coming out off the Totland to Colwell landslip...Alan
I cut my teeth flattie bashing at the cement mills, rowing club and seaclose rope swing........

these beauties were 2 of 13 that came out the cement mills back in the early 90s...... good times!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes the Medina is one of the areas I know of as well as Hythe and a couple others, locals tell me they used to catch a full string a cast in my local river 20 years ago yet I've never caught one the last 5 years I've fished there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts