1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am after some information please about sea fishing in the IOW

I am going to the Island month for about 2 month

I would to know the best place to fish what to catch and what bait is required please

Please bear in mind that I am an OAP so steep hills and long walks are a no no

Thank you for reading

Supergab

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Iv heard fort victoria can be good, spotted rays, bream, dogfish, large pout, conger eels, mackerel on feathers in the summer also bass and wrasse. Worth a go, also its good ground for an oap. Try google fort victoria fishing

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Supergab
Go to uk-hooks.com web site lots of info on fishing marks around the island
where and when are you staying on the island

Joe

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
PM Poorcod(Clive) on here, he will give you heads up as to where,s best to go. I could give you some marks but, have not been fishing on IOW for some yrs after leaving and things might have changed abit :(.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sandown Pier is a decent option, as is Ryde Pier (and you can hop a train to the end). As mentioned, Fort Victoria is easy access but you need to be sure to fish the right part of the tide or it can be a nightmare. Other thoughts: St Helens Duver (walk towards Bembridge harbour entrance and fish there), West Cowes Egypt Point and East Cowes - both you can park close by and stroll down to the beach. Yaverland end of Sandown Bay and Shanklin (Stinkpot and Fisherman's Cottage) are also worth a go and you can park nearby. Other than Poorcod, IOW Bass (Drew Garrett), Peter the Porter and Radio Rental can also offer a few ideas for easy access spots with a decent chance of a few fish.

Baits will depend on species desired. Ragworm for most species (from Drew in Ryde, Scotties in Sandown/Newport and a shop in E Cowes), sandeels (for rays), squid as a bass and standby bait should see you OK

Cheers

Kev

Reactions: ... and fnb

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
I used to live on the Island and as you can't climb that rules out Chale and Atherfield, two of my favourite marks, but Yarmouth Pier can often be quite good, especially for Bass, Sandown can be good for Flattie's and Ray's.

Other forum members who live on the Island can give you up to date reports and best baits to use.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I lived there for six months a few years ago.
The easiest fishing was on Sandown Pier for lots of smallish species. I had pout, pollack, mullet, garfish. mackerel, sole, turbot, grey gurnards, weevers, dragonets, and probably many others.
Yarmouth pier suffers from very strong tides and is only fishable at certain stages, but it produces bigger fish. From there I caught smoothhounds, black bream and a stingray.
Sandown beach can produce bass, sole and turbot.
There are many other areas, these are just the ones I fished the most.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Sandown Pier is a decent option, as is Ryde Pier (and you can hop a train to the end). As mentioned, Fort Victoria is easy access but you need to be sure to fish the right part of the tide or it can be a nightmare. Other thoughts: St Helens Duver (walk towards Bembridge harbour entrance and fish there), West Cowes Egypt Point and East Cowes - both you can park close by and stroll down to the beach. Yaverland end of Sandown Bay and Shanklin (Stinkpot and Fisherman's Cottage) are also worth a go and you can park nearby. Other than Poorcod, IOW Bass (Drew Garrett), Peter the Porter and Radio Rental can also offer a few ideas for easy access spots with a decent chance of a few fish.

Baits will depend on species desired. Ragworm for most species (from Drew in Ryde, Scotties in Sandown/Newport and a shop in E Cowes), sandeels (for rays), squid as a bass and standby bait should see you OK

Cheers

Kev
Sound bit of information ..................... but Poorcod (Clive ) is the real local to the island and he will know all the accessible spots that hold a few fish . Pete.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi

Many thanks to you all for all your help

I have been to a few web site that you have give and thanks to you
Things are looking good

By the way we are staying at Lower Hyde touring park (Shanklin)

We have our own touring Caravan

We arrive on the Island on the 18th March for two month

I will take onboard all the info that you have give me

Once again thank you all for you input

Regards

Supergab

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
You may be ok on the parking on the seafront ........free till the end of March ........to find out about the tides buy the local paper The County Post......out every Friday and has a supplement inside called Weekender .......it gives all the tide information for the whole island ..........give me a PM before you come and I will show you a couple of my fav spots local to Shanklin . Pete

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Fishingmad

I can give you the reports but not sure about the fish unless they are kind to me

Watch this space

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi by the way

Is their any cod being caught or have we got to Waite for the second run

Their is some beening caught where I am but far and few between

Supergab

1 - 20 of 45 Posts