World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont tourny cast but you guys may be able to help out here,years ago i used to use a zippy 2500 for fishing, however i could not get into the thing and with the fixed reel position i got a sore right wrist when casting, sold it on in the end, since then have used a few rods settling for a couple of years with a couple of fladen warbirds and a shakespear neptune, i can certainly put some pressure into these rods without a problem and can push out to 150+ yards without bait, however recently a mate was selling his abu suevan xp, tried it before buy, two casts seemed ok, more recently though using it as a fishing rod the pain is back in the wrist again, seems as if i am trying to cast a far heavier lead than normal ( 5 1/4 oz) tried putting the extension on see if it helped - nope, i cant get into low reel positions, i set all my rods to the butt in my armpit and thumb being able to lock the reel spool with my arm straight,with the other rods i can fish even frantic sessions without problem, 4 casts with the abu and i can feel it building up

any advice greatfully accepted guys

·
Registered
958 Posts
if your technique is wrong you can hurt yourself with a stiffer rod where as a softer rod will absorb some of the impact and let you get away with it.
i would suspect you are trying to hit the lead too early.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The suveron is probably a heavier rod than those you are used to it's also fairly stiff. I have the tournament version which is stiffer still. These are 6 to 8oz rods as I understand it.

You could try dropping the weight of the leads your casting to 4 or 4 1/2 ozs. That will make a big difference to the load on you. If tide is a problem shock leader size can go down to match too but that isn't quite as good as a heavy lead.

If you go for another rod it might be worth looking at greys. The supro is a very light rod for it's rating for instance and has a bit more give than my xp tournament. I was surprised how much easier it is to cast with a lighter rod.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greys Apollo MK 11 fast action 4-8oz, and light, think the rod u got there requires too much effort to cast its full potential. with the action on the tip the rod does more work 4 u.
p.s. I dont work 4 greys. I own one
pps do not try going down in weight size. it will simply require more effort to get it out

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
the greys supra is a very user freindly rod with a through action. i use one regular mainly with 4oz leads and distance is,nt a problem either.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
On lighter leads I've been playing around with that having seen people casting 3oz leads on 6oz pus rods. It doesn't make much difference at all to distance in fishing situations and it's a fact that going from 5 to 4 ozs reduces the load on the caster by 20%.
Personally as I own two I'm not at all sure that I would describe supro's as through action. (No way actually) Most of the action is in the tip. They are mixed ground distance rods but much lighter than many. It's a fairly fast taper blank. Greys used to say that it was suitable for many castings styles. It overheads well for instance. Some one on this board mentioned that it can be slightly overpowered by 5ozs and a very capable pendulum cast but then it is a fishing rod not a casting pole. Not many people need worry about that. I find it a pleasure to fish with.

John

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
On lighter leads I've been playing around with that having seen people casting 3oz leads on 6oz pus rods. It doesn't make much difference at all to distance in fishing situations and it's a fact that going from 5 to 4 ozs reduces the load on the caster by 20%.
Personally as I own two I'm not at all sure that I would describe supro's as through action. (No way actually) Most of the action is in the tip. They are mixed ground distance rods but much lighter than many. It's a fairly fast taper blank. Greys used to say that it was suitable for many castings styles. It overheads well for instance. Some one on this board mentioned that it can be slightly overpowered by 5ozs and a very capable pendulum cast but then it is a fishing rod not a casting pole. Not many people need worry about that. I find it a pleasure to fish with.

John
john, the supra is an out and out throu gh action rod. the nitra is stiff with some tip action, the sintra is stiffish in the butt with plenty of top end action. the size of my weights depends entirely on what i need for the mark i,m fishing from5oz down to 2oz when using my supra

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
JOHN trust what OLDCHUCKER says about greys rods as he has every model that they
have made and he loves them dont know why he just does.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I can well understand why he loves them Dave going on the supro. It's a very pleasant rod to fish with. Largely down to the action and it's low weight I suspect. I'm not entirely sure. If I didn't already have rods that will handle heavier weights when needed I would be looking further into greys range.

On through action there may be some confusion going back to my ancient coarse fishing days. I liked the look of the supro on the rack just going on the taper. Bent the tip to 90 degrees on the ceiling and the action seemed to me to be well into the tip but not excessively like some. I then put the tip on the floor, pulled up with my right hand and pressed down with my left. All seemed ok so I gave it as much as I could. The butt section didn't flex much and that's my definition of through action. If it was I would expect it to.
Maybe I should look at the just the tip action which I would say was more through action than many? Even is the word I would use. It certainly isn't a weak floppy rod.

Bit niffed about my 2nd supro though. They have changed the bag and really aught to use more of a bit heavier material. The pockets are a bit tight. Still has the sling and the separate reducer pocket though but otherwise it's about the same quality as everybody else's.

John

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
JOHN trust what OLDCHUCKER says about greys rods as he has every model that they
have made and he loves them dont know why he just does.
thanks dave, as usual -- quick as a whippet, and as del-boy said, -- you know it makes sense.:kissing: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Having bought a syntra last week I can see why old chucka thinks a supro is through action. I don't. It isn't possible in carbon with butt of that diameter. I think that a better description would be to say that the syntra is much more of a casting pole. A lot more. It's a bit disappointing as I expected it to be a sensible step up from the supro and have that same user friendly action. It's a huge step up and OTT basically and if some one wants a user friendly rod to cast that sort of weight and more the anyfish anywhere beach would be a much better bet.

Shame on Greys - I thought they only made fishing rods.

John

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Shame on Greys - I thought they only made fishing rods.

John
they do only make fishing rods well they have fishing rods made in the far east .
its just that you are not up to that fishing pole it sounds like its to much rod for you john..

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No Dave for me it could usefully be better but I will be using it if I need big baits / heavy lead. That's what I wanted it for. Like the supro it's nice and light too. I'm just amazed how much of a step up it is from a supro. I think the size of that step is a bit sad and takes it well into the casting pole range. Seems Greys too are dedicated followers of fashion. Needlessly in most peoples case. I would imagine that the more user friendly aa beach will cast just as far in fishing conditions. Silly purchase really I could stick with me awt match and casting pole but for some reason I only get them out now and again. Maybe I don't want to wear them out. It's use not age that softens them.

Made in the far east they may be but they are uk designed. Hardy and Greys have been doing that for a long time. As I've used their fly and spinning rods I'm not put off - I'm very grateful for the price reduction. The lifetime guarantee is nice too.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts