World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A perfect morning to get out in the boat for the first time in ages,so we loaded up with cuttlefish and black for the last shot at the cod. No idea if there would be any left,as no reports to give us a clue.

We headed out of Brighton and anchored up on a new mark we fancied a crack at with the last of the flood. Nothing...not a touch,no whiting,dogs,pout.and deffo no cod.

As the tide died,I went to wind up well washed out cuttle,but twenty or so turns off the bottom it got nailed by something that went off like a train. Bass,pollack,I really don't know,but it beat me up for a few minutes,taking line and giving some proper runs against a tight drag. Just as I thought I had it under control it came off,leaving me with a huge dose of the hump.

Thinking it might be the only fish of the day,I sort of lost interest for a while and just sat back and enjoyed the sunshine. The start off the ebb produced a decent whiting and pout before I had a very odd bite on half a big cuttle. It made a short run then dropped the bait,then came back for another go,then a third try before it really gave a proper pull and away we went for my first decent cod of the winter. 15lb and in reasonable nick considering it had spawned,but a very welcome fish after a long and stormy winter.

As it had gone quiet again after that fish,I put a scratching rig down for anything that might fancy a bit of worm.2/0 fine wire Aberdeen and light gear. Two rods still out with 1/2 a large cuttle on each but the next bite came on the light gear.
No messing with this one as it took the bait and ran. Quite a while of delicate give and take with me sweating about the tiny hook,and a 21lber was in the net.
Happy days.

Another half hour of nothing and we gave it the last cast routine...away it goes again on the light rod and a 5lber hits the deck.

Time for home,very happy with 3 cod this late in the season,but still fretting about the loss of the unknown fish earlier in the day . This is two years running I've had a few decent ones in early march,so maybe it isn't all over quite as early as we tend to think?

Its been a long wait this winter,what with the bad weather and general shortage of cod,so today was a little bonus to remind me why I love being out there.

Raider.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well done Raider. A similar day for Showboat today, Two Cod in the Boat one at 14lb one at 5lb, and one littleun successfully released. Channel, Dogs and Pout throughout the day. I didn't have the same luck (or skill)? to boat the two heavy Cod that took the Lugworm put down there for an early Plaice on the 6lb Uglystick, Two decent fish lost on the way up, didn't even get to see them, both fish threw the hook as I tried to give them as much drag as I could to save the 12lb leader.Another decent Fish lost on the Pennel rigged Cuttle Baits after stripping a decent amount of line off the reel.
Huntress out of Newhaven had much the same day with a couple of nice take home Cod.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well done Tony , what a great days fishing ...very well deserved after a tough winter ...days like that make it all seem wort while . Gutted i didnt take a gamble and head out yedterday , but theres always another day . Thanks very much for the contact details of your outboard mechanic

Tight lines

Kev .

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done Tony , what a great days fishing ...very well deserved after a tough winter ...days like that make it all seem wort while . Gutted i didnt take a gamble and head out yedterday , but theres always another day . Thanks very much for the contact details of your outboard mechanic

Tight lines

Kev .
No problem Kevin,the outboard guy is well on the ball. We tried a different spot on Saturday just on the off chance there would be fish in the weed line on the edge of the tide,so we stuck the hook down in the middle of the heaviest patch of floating rubbish we could find and the cod obliged. Also found a big old gully and bank rising 15ft on the way back which we had never seen before,even though we crossed that area loads of times. Looks a nice spot to try next time we get out.

Raider.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Very well done on taking the opportunity to get out and sussing out some late cod. I must admit I thought it was all over for another winter for the cod, and did not fancy a slog over the horizon for the chance of some clear water. Instead I plumped for a session on the shingle which was a completely duff decision.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Nice one Tony, all that waiting and hit and miss fishing and then you had a great day, and when most others pretty much blanked.
Cheers, ken

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Nice one Tony, all that waiting and hit and miss fishing and then you had a great day, and when most others pretty much blanked.
Cheers, ken
Yes Ken. It was hard as even the unthinkable happened and the mighty zipplex blanked Lol! My conoflex didn't do much better either and as for the MTI, well that didn't fair any better either! Really must try harder next time.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers, ken
Just a lucky day Ken. We had no idea if there were still cod out there,and we toyed with the idea of wrecking until we saw the water conditions. Plaice were pretty much out of the question in that brown soup,so it kind of made our minds up for us. I had a cheeky beer with Gary and his lovely wife after we got back to the marina,and he told me about your day. If you dont try,you never know,so fair play to you for putting in the miles. Another few days if it doesnt blow up and the water clears,you will be hauling them aboard out on the wrecks.

I guess a clue to how the fish are feeding came when I gutted the cod. Rammed full of crab,without a single sprat or herring to be seen,so they are still grubbing along the bottom in the mucky water. I guess they will stay there while the water is all churned up,then clear off once the colour drops out.

Raider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts