World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Like a lot of people reading this or take the time to browse through this forum, we've been fishing for a few decades now, I've pretty much kept to the same routine... break the rods out late Autumn and pretty much live on the beach until the end of the Spring Cod run when I would carefully pack everything away.

But not this year !!! I so enjoyed the 08/09 Winter Cod season so much I though, sod it - let's keep going and fish for some of the Summer species. So I did... I looked up new methods, read a lot, even brought new gear (rod, reel and terminal bits). I've visited several sites around the Suffolk coast, at varying times to and here's what I think of it.

UTTER RUBBISH - I've had nothing to get excited about at all, you can keep your Summer species.

Bring on the Winter - let it rain, let it snow, let it blow a hoolie (Westerly only of course), let it get dark at 15:30, let my fingers go numb, let my nose drip like a broken tap, but most of all - let the Cod come inshore!

Jason.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
sounds good to me. havn't bothered with the summer fishing this year. but the rods are ready for the influx of cod that i am going to catch this year.
:fishing1:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Let's be honest, the summer fishing here is never going to match the quality of winter fishing, but there is stuff to be had out there.

Summer sole fishing can be pretty good around here, with some decent catches from several beaches. Bass can be caught from a number of spots, with some bloody big ones taken every year. Mullet can provide some good, although frustrating, sport in just about every estuary.

And there I run out of ideas. It is pretty pants, that's why I do a little sole bashing and that's about it I'm afraid. I do have one issue though...missing out on a big Easterly blow in deepest winter? You're quite bonkers. Get your arse down there in the worst possible weather, sit it out and get past the breakers and you're in with a chance of some cracking cod.

Bring on the winter, I'm bored of dragging out bream and roach!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Like a lot of people reading this or take the time to browse through this forum, we've been fishing for a few decades now, I've pretty much kept to the same routine... break the rods out late Autumn and pretty much live on the beach until the end of the Spring Cod run when I would carefully pack everything away.

But not this year !!! I so enjoyed the 08/09 Winter Cod season so much I though, sod it - let's keep going and fish for some of the Summer species. So I did... I looked up new methods, read a lot, even brought new gear (rod, reel and terminal bits). I've visited several sites around the Suffolk coast, at varying times to and here's what I think of it.

UTTER RUBBISH - I've had nothing to get excited about at all, you can keep your Summer species.

Bring on the Winter - let it rain, let it snow, let it blow a hoolie (Westerly only of course), let it get dark at 15:30, let my fingers go numb, let my nose drip like a broken tap, but most of all - let the Cod come inshore!

Jason.
hi jason
fish the nn shingle and i have never known it to be so dead,normally at least have a bit of mack fishing,dont know where you fish but we need a good northerly blow at least that might bring a few bass in,as you say roll on the winter
regards
fish hunter02

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
Hello Everyone,

Jason.

HA HA!, could not agree more, only had i schoolie out of 4 trips!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Let's be honest, the summer fishing here is never going to match the quality of winter fishing, but there is stuff to be had out there.

Summer sole fishing can be pretty good around here, with some decent catches from several beaches. Bass can be caught from a number of spots, with some bloody big ones taken every year. Mullet can provide some good, although frustrating, sport in just about every estuary.
And there I run out of ideas. It is pretty pants, that's why I do a little sole bashing and that's about it I'm afraid. I do have one issue though...missing out on a big Easterly blow in deepest winter? You're quite bonkers. Get your arse down there in the worst possible weather, sit it out and get past the breakers and you're in with a chance of some cracking cod.

Bring on the winter, I'm bored of dragging out bream and roach!
what about the smoothounds and the flounders and the weavers lol just to add a few

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
same goes with me jason, ive spent hours on the beach and caught nowt, yes maybe ive not had the right bait(peeler) but at some point i thort i must catch but na, im not interested in smuts, a bass or 3 would have been nice, last time i fish the summer months......si

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts