World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got all the gear, no idea etc.

When can I start! Going to Porth Cawl 14th of March for the weekend is it worth taking my spinning gear?

Or will it be bait only?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might have to have a go. Bought three savage gear lures this morning. The sight of the sun has sent me into a frenzy.

I wouldn't mind other than Mackerel, I've never caught anything spinning. Ever.

That's why it's called fishing and not catching.

Tight lines everyone. Anyone done any fishing down there? I'm staying at trecco Bay on one of these cheap sun holiday things.

Any recommendations? Can't wait.

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
Got all the gear, no idea etc.

When can I start! Going to Porth Cawl 14th of March for the weekend is it worth taking my spinning gear?

Or will it be bait only?
Chances are at the end of the session you will have less gear and more idea !

If you realise that there might not be a lot of baitfish or fish that eat them about and treat it as practice for a proper session any fish can be a bonus.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I might have to have a go. Bought three savage gear lures this morning. The sight of the sun has sent me into a frenzy.

I wouldn't mind other than Mackerel, I've never caught anything spinning. Ever.

That's why it's called fishing and not catching.

Tight lines everyone. Anyone done any fishing down there? I'm staying at trecco Bay on one of these cheap sun holiday things.

Any recommendations? Can't wait.
Try a slow retrieve, the waters still on the cold side, bump your lure slowly along the bottom, that`s your best chance...As for Porthcawl, bait fishing off the pier by the harbour would be a good bet, or there`s plenty of rock marks to spin off, if you walk past the pier heading towards rest bay..Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try a slow retrieve, the waters still on the cold side, bump your lure slowly along the bottom, that`s your best chance...As for Porthcawl, bait fishing off the pier by the harbour would be a good bet, or there`s plenty of rock marks to spin off, if you walk past the pier heading towards rest bay..Good luck.
Thanks

15 degrees over the weekend. We're getting there!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Going for a first attempt tomorrow. Usually go old Colwyn bay. Any hints tips or marks?
Flat calm surface like a mirror, bright sunshine, approaching neap tide, don't know about the clarity this weekend haven't looked at it lol.. hmm.. If I'd get the spinning rod out tomorrow I'd twitch a worm behind a flounder/plaice spoon (old toby with hook removed etc, sometimes with small lead attached to increase casting weight) somewhere where it won't snag on retrieve, like a gully in the sand that plaice might move up as the tide floods; but otherwise I wouldn't "spin" on the north coast bays tomorrow (Sat 20), personally IMHO and all that. Sorry to be a bit negative as that's not really spinning but it does use your spinning gear and a flattie would be a good catch. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts