World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.....i'm Fish (fishosopher) and he's Tapps (Steve Tapp) :laugh:

I've been in contact with the LISA tour operator and have put in a request for the LISA love bus to add an extra meeting date to the current Sussex tour !

I've asked Steve if he fancies a fish 'n' chat session on Shoreham Beach this Friday evening to talk about the LISA idea and he's agreed to head on over for a dangle.

The forecast is looking good so i thought i would also say if any of you guys reading this post want to join us for a fish on Friday evening, you're more than welcome to come along :thumbs:

For me personally, the fish 'n' chat on Friday is not only about getting together with Steve to hear what he has to say about the LISA vision, i am also seeing it as a chance for me to bring some of my own ideas to the table to see how they might fit in with the overall LISA picture.

If anyone is interested in joining Steve and myself for a dangle on Friday you are all more than welcome and here's a little something something to help those of you brave enough at the moment to dig your own lug (and boy.....the lug digging is as tough as i've ever know it out there :ahhh: )

Here's me bait-digging bits :

It was hard going, with plenty of wandering about, looking for where there was some worm and this is what an hour of digging looks like. I put my worms into water as i dig them and the worms clump together like this as you are digging :

The next stage is to use one of the empty buckets to clean some of the excess sand off. Once that is done the worms then look like this and are now in fresh clean water ready for taking home.....

.....and here's a closer look at the same cleaned worms :

Although the winds are light at the moment, the waves are still turning over a little which is some early encouragement for Friday's session. This was taken this morning (Tuesday) as the tide was flooding in across the sand :

Once i get back to the house, i usually transfer the worms into an old washing-up bowl.....

.....then i pop the bowl into the fridge :

The worms are for Friday, which means they will be three days old by then and for me personally, there is a process to go through to get the worm in tip-top nick for fishing with. We are all different, praise the Lord and we all have our own way of looking after our own bait. This is just my way of doing it and i'm sure other people have other ways of looking after their bait.

The worms are left in the bowl to 'flush' themselves through (to clean the sand out of them) and the clock on the bowl in the previous picture is to give you an idea of how long the flushing process takes. I want to get this thread started to see if there is any interest locally for a fish 'n' chat on Friday evening so i'll carry on with the bait story in another post once the worms have cleaned through :)

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Cheers Fisho, where are we meeting Shorehorrorham is a big place?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Fisho
Please no pictures of your dangler bits ! Very interested in the bait process, thanks for sharing and I look forward to the serialisation.
Love to see a few faces and hear some new ideas, that's what the roadshow tour was about so far and boy, we've some good stuff to work on.
Let me know the RV and if you need a lift in a horseless carriage !
Great stuff, thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Fisho, where are we meeting Shorehorrorham is a big place?
Hey Tony.....are you thinking about having a dangle on Friday evening :fishing1:

I hadn't forgotten about saying where to meet. I wanted to take a few piccies of the venue this morning but it was so misty, i couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I had to wait until this evenings low-tide to get a few snaps. I also wanted to make sure the bit of beach i'm thinking about hasn't turned into a snag-pit since those storms ripped the bottom up a few months back :unsure:

I know you're a Burrells man.....i'm a Shingle Road fella myself and thought we could fish at the Shingle Road roundabout on Friday :)

I'm sure you know where Shingle Road is but just in case someone doesn't know where the Shingle Road roundabout is, here's a piccie of the roundabout taken facing towards the West Arm.....

.....and a zoomed-in shot with The Burrells roundabout in the background :

I had a look at the beach but the water was still well in so it was hard to tell what has happened to the sea-bed along that stretch. Took a few snaps anyway because i think this is probably what it will look like on Friday. Should be able to get straight into the fishing from the shingle without going out across the sand :thumbs:

How does Shingle Road sound guys :g:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Mate it's so close to the Burrells Mecca it's a goer, used to be a good Bass mark but reports are so rare from that bit of shingle.

What time shall I time my underwasserboatten to dock on the aforementioned rounderbout?

Tony

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Fisho
Moist at the thought !!!!!!!!!!!!
See you there.
Stevo T

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Take it usual bait rag, lug and squid, also assume parking near the round about? Free or do I need to remember change?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Take it usual bait rag, lug and squid, also assume parking near the round about? Free or do I need to remember change?

Cheers
Parking either side of roundabout on single yellow's or down one of the side roads.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi fellas, I'm gutted I'm unable to pop down to meet you guys, but I've spent this weeks fishing vouchers and "she that must be obeyed" has put her size tens down, anyway hope you all have a great night, please post with fish filled reports soon, I might try that mark with my lad early next week, best of luck, tight lines and bent rods!!! Rob.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some nice colours in the sunrise this morning :)

Went down the beach again today to try and get some more lucky lugworms for us to use on Friday and this is what the surf looks like today :

You got a new camera then Billy :laugh:......Alan
[video=youtube;6sJqTDaOrTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJqTDaOrTg[/video]

Hehehe.....fancy popping over to Shoreham Beach Friday evening Alan for a couple of chucks :fishing1:

Mate it's so close to the Burrells Mecca it's a goer, used to be a good Bass mark but reports are so rare from that bit of shingle.

What time shall I time my underwasserboatten to dock on the aforementioned rounderbout?

Tony
I'm aiming to be on the shingle by 7pm Tony :)

You're right about it being a good Bass spot. I had my PB Bass from the Shingle Road area :fish:

Parking either side of roundabout on single yellow's or down one of the side roads.

Cheers
As Tony says above Francis, plenty of free and easy parking in the Shingle Road area and yep usual drill on the bait front :sun:

I'm a 'lucky lugworm' kind of guy and i don't usually use other baits so it will be interesting for me to see how effective different baits are fishing alongside my 'lucky's' :unsure:

I said to Steve i would try and get some lucky lugworm for him to use and the same offer goes to the rest of you fellas who are coming along. You're all more than welcome to bait up a hook or two with whatever bait i've got. (The deal is though, you have to bait up at my teepee so i can keep an eye on what rigs you're using in case you start bagging-up :spiteful: )

Forecast at the moment is saying a little stir-up from the west/south west on Thursday then calming down again for Friday evening. I'll settle for that.....could be some fish to be had off the low-tide :fishing1:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fisho

With regard to your Lug prep, do you gut, dry and wrap them just before the trip down to the shore or take them down as liveouts

Thanks in advance

OTU

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Fisho
Nice pictures again. Looks like conditions might be on the good side. Do me a favour, if you see the Team Zimmer bus out from the Chatsworth let me know and then...........run. They'll never catch you, trust me.
2 more sleeps to Friday........wow.
Good stuff Brother
Stevo T

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fisho

With regard to your Lug prep, do you gut, dry and wrap them just before the trip down to the shore or take them down as liveouts

Thanks in advance

OTU
Hello OTU.....sorry i haven't replied to your above post soomer. I was out looking for wormies twice yesterday (morning and evening) and it didn't leave much time for the forum stuff :ahhh:

The worms in the pictures in my previous posts are 'blow-lug' and they are usually taken to the beach live (either in paper or in water). The worms you are possibly thinking of that are gutted and then wrapped are the bigger 'black-lug'. Just to confuse the issue, there are also worms called 'yellowtails' which are generally more red in colour and it's the smaller of these yellowtails that can be kept in a tray with a little water and used as 'liveouts'.....which you mentioned above :thumbs:

As luck would have it, after a couple of days of digging, i have examples of each type of worm which you can see in the following pictures. The trays across the top are the lug, one tray on paper, one tray on plastic and the bottom trays are the bigger worms, gutted blacks in the left-hand tray and small live 'yellowtails' in some water in the right-hand tray :)

Fisho
Nice pictures again. Looks like conditions might be on the good side. Do me a favour, if you see the Team Zimmer bus out from the Chatsworth let me know and then...........run. They'll never catch you, trust me.
2 more sleeps to Friday........wow.
Good stuff Brother
Stevo T
Sounds like you hit the Chatsworth Hotel at rush-hour.....they don't call Worthing 'God's Waiting Room' for nothing you know :wheelchai

It was while being bored out of my brains working in a hotel in Worthing that i came up with my (not so) bright idea to make myself homeless and go live outdoors. Boredom will do that to a person innit :crazy:

As for the fishing on Friday, i was hoping it would get a bit of a stir up today with a SW wind putting some colour back into the water but that's not looking likely. SE winds don't generally stir the bottom up round here :(

Also, might have someone else having a dangle with us tomorrow. Stopped off at Dave's (peachie48 on WSF) house after digging blacks last night and he said he might be up for popping along :fishing1:

I'm aiming to be on the beach at the Shingle Road roundabout on Shoreham Beach for 7pm if that's cool with you and anyone else that is going :fishing:

(PS.....for some reason that i haven't been able to figure out yet, some of the pictures i've been taking for the 'bait-keeping tutorial' have been coming out blue in colour ? I'm trying to find some colour filters to put on the pictures, to take some of the blue colour out so i'll carry on with my bait-keeping guide if i can get the pictures cleaned up a bit :doh: )

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
May well pop down for a chat Friday Billy. Doubt I'll bring a rod. Not my time yet ;) Plus work all week :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fisho

Great stuff, thanks very much. Got myself a fridge now in the garage (wife wont let me use the one in the kitchen). I am trying to organise my fishing so that a good dig for lug on one day will sort my bait out for the next seven days. Your information has been very useful. Regards OTU

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fisho

Great stuff, thanks very much. Got myself a fridge now in the garage (wife wont let me use the one in the kitchen). I am trying to organise my fishing so that a good dig for lug on one day will sort my bait out for the next seven days. Your information has been very useful. Regards OTU
Hello OTU :wave:

Glad you found some of the bait-related stuff useful. Give me a shout if you want to know anything else and thanks for the post :thumbs:

May well pop down for a chat Friday Billy. Doubt I'll bring a rod. Not my time yet ;) Plus work all week :(
I've got plenty of Blacks to use there Phil, if you fancy having a couple of chucks off the low for something to do. You're more than welcome to pop down for a fish 'n' chat, not just a chat ! No way will i be getting through all that bait. Not much of a surf this morning as you can see in the following picture but i'm hopeful with a bit more wind, the waves will start to turn over a bit more by Friday evening :unsure:

Could do with a bit of surf to aim at. There are so many crabs about at the moment, fishing in some surf might be the only crab-free part of the session. Probably be underarm chucks once the water starts to deepen :fishing1:

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Fisho

One bit of advice mate, make sure the wife knows your fridge is out of bounds or she may well claim that one as well.

I bought a chess freezer and went out of my way to keep my frozen baits out of the family freezer and for a while it worked. Then the wife slowly but surely added a few bits into my chess freezer as and when she bought too much frozen food to the freezer indoors. With 12 months she claimed that freezer too, moaning to high heavens about the smell of cuttlefish, squid and blacks.

Give in to them once and you'll pay the price

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
Hello OTU :wave:

Glad you found some of the bait-related stuff useful. Give me a shout if you want to know anything else and thanks for the post :thumbs:

I've got plenty of Blacks to use there Phil, if you fancy having a couple of chucks off the low for something to do. You're more than welcome to pop down for a fish 'n' chat, not just a chat ! No way will i be getting through all that bait. Not much of a surf this morning as you can see in the following picture but i'm hopeful with a bit more wind, the waves will start to turn over a bit more by Friday evening :unsure:

Could do with a bit of surf to aim at. There are so many crabs about at the moment, fishing in some surf might be the only crab-free part of the session. Probably be underarm chucks once the water starts to deepen :fishing1:

Billy, I would love to join you guys but 1) cannot find my old tripod and 2) If I ever catch another rockling I will cry like a baby and sulk for the rest of the night.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
One bit of advice mate, make sure the wife knows your fridge is out of bounds or she may well claim that one as well.

I bought a chess freezer and went out of my way to keep my frozen baits out of the family freezer and for a while it worked. Then the wife slowly but surely added a few bits into my chess freezer as and when she bought too much frozen food to the freezer indoors. With 12 months she claimed that freezer too, moaning to high heavens about the smell of cuttlefish, squid and blacks.

Give in to them once and you'll pay the price
Reg these women are a nightmare. It's only when a few years ago I had some time at home I realised that mine always bought stuff on offer. We had16 packs of mince, 12 packs of burgers, 18 packs of Chicken and 18 packs of frozen peas I realised stock control and cash flow management was required. Result food bill halved and I have my draw in the freezer for bait.

The fact I have to beg to go fishing is still a problem!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts