World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was a species challenge which I'd set myself 14 years ago when I started kayak fishing. Some of the guys on Anglers Afloat were keeping a log of species in their sig. What a good idea I thought.
Of course here on the east coast there's no competing with the west but after catching 15 or so in the first few years, I set myself a target of 20 Norfolk marine species in a calendar year.
By the end of this summer I'd matched my previous record of 18 and I was OK with that, until a few weeks ago when I caught 3 corkwings in 20 minutes.

So now on 19 for the first time, late in the season and with the whiting hordes about to arrived, things would be difficult.

Yesterday (Thursday 11th Nov) I launched from Cart Gap then jigged and drifted down to the reefs with my mini shrimp feathers looking for herring, with no luck. So the anchor went down and out with some lug and squid and how stressful it was as the whiting were hitting the baits the moment they touched the bottom 2 or 3 at a time. Even using circles with fish feeding in this level intensity some will be deep hooked and I soon had a gang of gulls waiting downtide for casualties.
This was far from enjoyable so I gave up and sort refuge from the horde inside the reefs, I liked the look of the sand banks with their eddies which run out to the reefs and set the anchor so I could fish the bank in about 2-3 meters of water about 70m out.
What a relief hardly any whiting but I did catch a few dabs and 4 truly beautiful small bass..

then this flounder, my 20th species of 2021. So I've finally done it.馃槉

Registered
Well done always good to hit your target im stuck at 11 from the shore this year my best is 12,i enjoy catching new species keeps me interested when things arent great,hope you get some more.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well done Carl, a tremendous achievement for around this area. 馃憦 馃憦馃憦馃憤

I did suggest previously you fish from your beached yak! 馃槣馃榿
cheers mate
When indulging in ting avoidance desperate measures are call for, :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Sole intentions

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well done always good to hit your target im stuck at 11 from the shore this year my best is 12,i enjoy catching new species keeps me interested when things arent great,hope you get some more.
cheers Hughes
The thing is you never really know what's out there. Those bonito which were caught in herring nets a few years ago would be my dream catch but then again turbot have eluded me.
Good luck in your own quests.

Reactions: hughes66

Registered
cheers mate
When indulging in ting avoidance desperate measures are call for, :ROFLMAO:
I know that feeling boi, I travelled 300+ miles to avoid the little buggers! So imagine my horror upon arrival when the guy in the tackle shop at Portishead said "there's some nice Whiting about at the moment, we've not seen them for several years!" 馃檮

Registered
This was a species challenge which I'd set myself 14 years ago when I started kayak fishing. Some of the guys on Anglers Afloat were keeping a log of species in their sig. What a good idea I thought.
Of course here on the east coast there's no competing with the west but after catching 15 or so in the first few years, I set myself a target of 20 Norfolk marine species in a calendar year.
By the end of this summer I'd matched my previous record of 18 and I was OK with that, until a few weeks ago when I caught 3 corkwings in 20 minutes.

So now on 19 for the first time, late in the season and with the whiting hordes about to arrived, things would be difficult.

Yesterday (Thursday 11th Nov) I launched from Cart Gap then jigged and drifted down to the reefs with my mini shrimp feathers looking for herring, with no luck. So the anchor went down and out with some lug and squid and how stressful it was as the whiting were hitting the baits the moment they touched the bottom 2 or 3 at a time. Even using circles with fish feeding in this level intensity some will be deep hooked and I soon had a gang of gulls waiting downtide for casualties.
This was far from enjoyable so I gave up and sort refuge from the horde inside the reefs, I liked the look of the sand banks with their eddies which run out to the reefs and set the anchor so I could fish the bank in about 2-3 meters of water about 70m out.
What a relief hardly any whiting but I did catch a few dabs and 4 truly beautiful small bass..

Well done Carl 20 species is a great achievment. Other areas have so many more species than us. Many years ago I trailed a dinghy to Anglesey Island and had 15 different species in 2 weeks. As I have said before if I was just a few years younger I would love to get a yak.

Registered
Century carbon metal with a Penn 525 mag 2. (17ft Wilson Flyer 50HP tohatsu).
I know that feeling boi, I travelled 300+ miles to avoid the little buggers! So imagine my horror upon arrival when the guy in the tackle shop at Portishead said "there's some nice Whiting about at the moment, we've not seen them for several years!" 馃檮
Is there a gate with a code to get onto the pier mate, or is it locked?. I'm from Middlesbrough and want to fish here.

Registered
Well done to you. Still time to come of age and achieve '21' before the end of the year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well done to you. Still time to come of age and achieve '21' before the end of the year.
lol well you never know, I've got bait in the freezer for one more trip but maybe I'd forsake the species hunt for just one winter cod, however unlikely. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts