World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, im new here and im thinking of going to jackstones pier on the weekend. any1 know wot its like and wot fish are there and wot bait to use? ty

·
Registered
208 Posts
the jack stones at port talbot is ok for some easy fishing, theres millions of whiting and pouting to be taken on fish baits etc. there are some nice strap conger taken at this time of the year aswell as a possiblity of codling or cod if things get realy cold, but most are taken from the long arm pier at corus, but its worth a try. theres also a few dab taken. care should be taken on the large spring tides as the pier does become flooded and the jack stones can get very slippery which makes landing your catch harder. all in all its easy fishing for the lazy man. dab and cod are taken on lug worm which can be obtained from dragon baits by bp at port talbot for the ultimate lazy fisher!!!
have fun mate and tight lines

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doggy hater is right . there are loads of whiting about. I went yesterday and got loads of bites. All the whiting I pulled in were small so all were returned. I did manage to get a pollack which I kept. I used lug from Dragon Baits - they charge £10 a pound. I only went down for a few hours and found that £5 worth was enough to keep 1 rod going.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
you need a ermit to fish long arm, but not for the jack stones, also it worth know that it pays to fish close into the stones, resist the pemptation to distance cast.

Also fish off the stones towards swansea way not into the river. ALso the better whiting seem to be caught on rag at the moment, worth trying a pennel rig with a couple of rag on, will bring the better whiting.

hope this helps,
kelvin

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thanks Kelvin ,nice to no all this info , How do i get a pass for the long arm ? and do i have to join a club ? can you fish these venues at night ?and is it a long walk or out of the car ? Thank m8

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what i remember, the long arm belongs to the steelworks (Corus). To get a pass you must join the sports club of Corus and then apply for a pass. Only a certain amount are issued each year

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah thats right "cramp" you can't fish the corus piers at night and they do have a quite long waiting list for membership. The jack stones is quite good to fish at night but be warned to set up before dark (to find a fish landing spot thats safe) and i'd never fish alone. I've heard of a few guys slipping on the jacks and joining the fish (not the best thing to do in the winter) and a flotation suit is worth the world if you end up swimming!!! be safe a good luck mate, tight lines

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've been a member of the Long arm for a couple of years now, it cost me £41.50 last year which covers all the daylight fishing i can handle. As stated earlier you are not allowed to fish from the arm in the dark. They closed this site for several weeks in Sept/Oct and they added another 700+ jack stones apparently to strengthen the structure,in my opinion they have somewhat ruined the venue as my usual haunts have become to say the least unaccessable,these stones become very slippery and slime has already began to form on these new stones. I fished off the hook on my last visit and after 8 hours fishing was rewarded with 2 or 3 small whiting and half a dozen small pout. I'm hearing good reports about this venue over the last week or so, plenty of good size whiting. I'm going down there again this Thursday(16th) I'll let you know how i got orff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi lads...! new to this just an amature fisherman and worse on computers hoping to go to porthcawl tomorrow winds permiting, does anybody know what the fishing is like there, first time out this year not expecting anything but its out of the house fish are a bonus

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
i'm amazed that fishing is allowed off the jackstones. one slip and you could be stuck in a hole while the tide decides to fill over the top of you. nasty place.

·
Registered
438 Posts
That has happend a few times.. a few guys have been washed off and saved by the surfers.

My mates brother has slipped down the rocks and was stuck for 20mins. we had to pull him up with a rope lol. I have lost 2 rods and a tacklebox of there :bangin:

·
Banned
613 Posts
hi guys, if your going to fish the jackstones make sure you check the tides. 9 meters is the limit if its a very calm day. 9m+ and a bit of wind, then keep off. the first half of the pier floods before the end ,and by the time you notice it could be too late. and watch for the holes, in the jackstones, you need to get on them to get your line and possibly fish over the top , but if you fall down some of them holes, your f*cked.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Short arm is fishing well and a permit only costs £25 approx from abp.The no of people fishing it has dropped since corus reviewed security arrangements by putting a barrier in place,and issuing passes on examination of fishing permits.Again no fishing is allowed during the hours of darkness.

B

·
0 Posts
Short arm is fishing well and a permit only costs £25 approx from abp.The no of people fishing it has dropped since corus reviewed security arrangements by putting a barrier in place,and issuing passes on examination of fishing permits.Again no fishing is allowed during the hours of darkness.
I renewed mine late last year and it cost just thirty quid, apparently, for 2009 it is going to cost £31.50

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
it is my opinion that the jackstones r one of the most dangerous venues in south wales.only matter of time before someone slips n has serious accident there.its fished a lot by kids in summer,i hope im wrong but its not a safe venue

1 - 20 of 25 Posts