World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any idea of the cost of fishing off of jamaica? holiday booked in next couple of weeks and fancy a bash of fishing from the boats off the carribean.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
http://www.stanleysdeepseafishing.com/

http://www.montego-bay-jamaica.com/suzie/reservations.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=69&geo=147309&scope=2&q=sea+fishing&returnTo=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tripadvisor.com%2FShowForum-g147309-a_ff.69-Jamaica.html&x=9&y=13

The link to stanleys deep sea fishing offers individual spaces for US$100 for a half day. Otherwise it gets very expensive.

Play about with the trip adviser link - I have always found it to be a good website. I have linked it to some sea fishing forum threads. You will find out everything about Jamaica in there somewhere, along with everywhere else in the world. Don't look up your hotel though - it might not make good reading!!:eek: so look it up after you get back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
shrek said:
fancy a bash of fishing from the boats off the carribean.
Hi Shreck, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but fishing in Jamaica is at best borderline. The problem is that for generations subsistence fishermen have killed everything that they can to feed their families.

There are multiple causes, not the least of which are, 1) There are essentially no rules, no bag limits, no minimum size and no closed season, etc. 2) Fish traps and dynamite fishing are two devastating problems. Explosive fishing techniques are not as common in the last three or four decades but fish traps have for generations continued to devastate the fish populations.

Just about the only opportunity is to troll offshore on the north coast for pelagic species. Barracuda (considered a “trash fish” in Florida and Central America) would be a trophy in Jamaica. Dorado (called Dolphin in the Caribbean basin) and small Blue Marlin (more likely in September off Port Antonio) are fairly rare catches.

The sad thing is that the Bahamas (another ex British colony) in contradistinction have long recognized the importance of sport fishing and have maintained a healthy fishing stock through good management.

The Bahamas, Florida and Central America are true fishing destinations, Jamaica’s reputation however, lies in other areas. Have fun!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
There you are Shrek, Jamaica "dun be crap maaaan"! go to Southern Florida!!
Blindhog has a great garden shed that he will rent to you dead cheap, & the fishing is much better, look at what he catches, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
blueskip

·
Registered
325 Posts
Excuse me, Blueskip, but I think you will find I have first refusal on the shed. When I find out how big it is I'll let you know if I prepared to share.

Fred

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D thanks for all the info, i'm staying in negril and the links were a great help.thanks lewisteh.
if the worst comes to the worst anyone know where i can get a couple of sticks of dynamite?
as for the use of the shed all my trips are planned this year, but will bear in mind for next years trips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi just wonderd how the fishing was in jamaca as im off their in to weeks and was hopeing to fish. after reading the replies to your question i dont feel to confident

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I worked in Jamaica for a couple of years around 1985-87. I was not into fishing then but did a bit of scuba diving. One of the guys who lived in Jamaica and worked at the same place used to go off to Port Antonio on the North Coast to fish for Marlin. No idea what it cost but he did it every year.

I guess you would be going a fair distance off shore to find the bigger fish. Unfortunately Negril is pretty far away from Port Antonio (roads are absolutely desperate) so would likely have to stay over at Port Antonio to make a decent day of fishing there. On the bright side of things, Negril is a nice part of the island.

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
why not just take a spinning rod and a box of plugs etc!
recon that would be a blast and alot cheaper!
even if you pay a grand for a days fishing ther ar no garantees!

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Been there many times and know the Island very well............but never fished.
Any other advice available...................Have good time, and enjoy.
Coastman:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I stayed in Negril a couple of years back. There were a few local dugout type boats that would hang around the tourist beaches offering to take out anglers although I never went. I would wander down to the waters edge to watch them come back whenever someone did go out with them, but never saw anything landed.
I did a lot of snorkelling though and there were a lot of Stingrays in the shallows (knee deep at times). Some of them absolutely huge but you would need some fairly hefty gear to land them as I would reckon some were 5-6 feet long and weighed probably in the region of 70-100lbs.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Hullo matey
I think I've posted what I know about fishing Negril on the Caribbean forum after a trip in 2003. If you can't find it, it's fairly easy to arrange a charter, and pretty hard to catch fish. A lot of the resorts will pool six of you on a boat, which means an early start, rushing to another two or three hotels to pick up the rest of your party, and $100 each for the privilege of catching nothing with, in my case, a stroppy crew. The inshore waters there, as others have noted, have been absolutely hammered.

If you want a bit of DIY it's not much better. Negril's mostly clear sandy beach but there are some rocky patches and headlands, and you get a few fish around these. I flogged the water with fly and spinner all week and ended up with one small garfish, but I did see four different species of ray while snorkelling, including a shoal of 30lb-plus eagles, and stingrays to 20lb, if you fancy trying a bit of legered bait.

There are a few private boats moored along the beach and I was asked by several of the owners if I wanted to come out for a bit of drop-line (handline) fishing in the evening, but I never tried this in Jamaica. It's fun in Antigua and Tobago when the skippers know where the fish are.

The rest? Great music, people, food, sunsets, beaches, cocktails, beer. Sometimes fishing's not quite so important!

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for all your replies that gives me something to go on , dont think i will waste my money on the charter boats but think a go at the rays would be fun . got to do some fishing as those long days on the beech do my head in , i have tried some sting ray fishing on lanzarote but not cought much but a line in the water is more fun than a dry line . thanks again from an ever hopefull sea fisherman from notts.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Been there many times and know the Island very well............but never fished.
Any other advice available...................Have good time, and enjoy.
Coastman:)
If I was to fish there as in my previous post, although JA is not the best place in the Carib to fish would look at the following area's / Parishes.

Port Antonio to Marchoneil (East end of Island)
or
Lovers leap and around there! (south west of the Island}

Also reccomended: Jerk Pits - good fast (actualy quite slow) food and beer.

Coastman:clap2:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Also reccomended: Jerk Pits - good fast (actualy quite slow) food and beer.

Coastman:clap2:
Excellent Jerked Pork or Chicken. Really spicy, not like the rubbish than hotels serve for the tourists who cannot handle the real stuff! Also, Cowcod soup, but never question what you find in the bottom of the soup mug!!

Steinbeisser

1 - 15 of 15 Posts