18.corkwing wrasse
19.black goby
20. Herring
21. Stary smoothhound
22.gold sinny wrasse

Attachments

G

·
thank you I have changed it all these small fish are new to me so appreciate the help
Can you remember how many 'beards' the rocklings had ? It could be that you have caught two different species; the shore rockling has three and the five bearded, obviously, has five. Apart from that they look very much the same and can't really be identified from your photo. A close up of the head is needed to show which is which. The pic could be of two shore, two 5 bd or one of each.
The three bearded also has three beards but your pic is not of those because it is different in markings and colouration.
There is a whole big thread on rockling identification by Ticker

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you remember how many 'beards' the rocklings had ? It could be that you have caught two different species; the shore rockling has three and the five bearded, obviously, has five. Apart from that they look very much the same and can't really be identified from your photo. A close up of the head is needed to show which is which. The pic could be of two shore, two 5 bd or one of each.
The three bearded also has three beards but your pic is not of those because it is different in markings and colouration.
There is a whole big thread on rockling identification by Ticker
I'm 99%sure they were 3 bearded and zooming in on the photo I can only see 3 beards. The annoying thing is I caught 5 of these last night and didn't photo the rest so probably had one of each (not knowing they were different types) but the 2 in the photo I'm almost certain had 3 beards so will amend to that if that's ok and go back there in the next couple of days to get more, Hopefully 5 bearded ones

G

·
Nearly right, the fish that look like that, a mottled golden brown with three beards is a Shore Rockling.

The Three bearded Rockling is quite different and often has pink/purple toned brown colouration with more marbling and spots. When you see the two fish together, the shore and the three bearded, it is obvious which is which but alone they are more difficult to identify if you are not used to catching them.

have a look at this group of pics and you will see what I mean.

G

·
all correct, shore rockling, Long Spined Sea Scorpion and a five bearded rockling.

I'm trying to figure out where you have been fishing, opposite Poole Quay, Ferry Road ?

G

·
blimey good guess how did you work that out?
It's the only place that I've caught the species that you've caught in the Poole area, from there and the Quay opposite, and the only place that I can think of with that concrete brick paving. The clues were there:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the only place that I've caught the species that you've caught in the Poole area, from there and the Quay opposite, and the only place that I can think of with that concrete brick paving. The clues were there:)
that's bloody good fishing knowledge fair play. I was thinking of coming your way to swanage peir at the weekend, will it be fishable in the strong winds

G

·
it's only an easterly blow that makes swanage unfishable, it will be uncomfortable on the pier unless you can get in the lee of the shelter at the end. Fishing from The Stone Quay can be good at times and is out of the wind in a S or SW blow

1 - 20 of 24 Posts