World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing 2 no 12 or 13 ft beach rods and after much deliberation have narrowed it down to 2 models either the Jarvis Walker Codfather or the Shakespeare Salt FS. But apart from tackle reviews for the Jarvis Walker I don't know anyone who has one - does anyone know if their any good?

G

·
From what I'm reading on a Jarvis Walker reel box in front of me, Jarvis Walker are part of the Penn organisation....

·
Registered
479 Posts
...who are under the umbrella of pure fishing just like Shakespeare are.

the SALT is meant to be an ace rod, and all the SALTs I've seen and used (got the 10' spinner myself) are well finished high quality rods.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'm definately leaning to the SALT rods, they certainly look very well made, might take a trip to the tackle shop tomorrow and see what they're prepared to do! Hopefully get 2 for about £110-£120.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was looking at a salt rod the other day and was quite impressed :thumbs: Shakespeare make excellent rods in that price band, all the (masterline?) jarvis walker rods I've seen weren't up to much. Salt would be my choice.

·
Registered
477 Posts
...who are under the umbrella of pure fishing just like Shakespeare are.

the SALT is meant to be an ace rod, and all the SALTs I've seen and used (got the 10' spinner myself) are well finished high quality rods.
NOPE - Jarvis Walker left the Penn stable BEFORE Shakey bought Penn, and were then bought by Pure.

I believe they have a distribution deal with a wholesaler in UK, but might be wrong.

·
Registered
876 Posts
jarvis walker is now known as masterline walker in the uk as the two companies merged earlier this year. the codfather is decent rod for the money a reasonable material is used to produce it and ive seen them take a fair amount of stick! you could allways ask lynchy as he has one

·
Registered
479 Posts
NOPE - Jarvis Walker left the Penn stable BEFORE Shakey bought Penn, and were then bought by Pure.

I believe they have a distribution deal with a wholesaler in UK, but might be wrong.
Think you've interpreted my post wrongly, or read someone else's as mine :) I was meaning Penn is part of pure fishing.

Anyway that's academic now, all the JW stuff I've seen is pretty poor quality and the SALT rods are definitely better so the OP is making the right move AFAIK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts