World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after a long wait for this species it all came together this weekend ,started off on friday night at etive after meeting up with bigpaul and his mate greg (good to meet you fellas)we started to fish and lucky for me but not for the north east boys both fish fell to me a spur to 9lbs and a dog of maybe a pound and with an early start in the morning i said bye and headed to the corran ferry(oh stan the rod worked a treat its a work of art mate)met up with gino and davy in the morning and set out from LA after a bit of a wait it was my turn to get to grips with the large lady after what i am told was 30 minutes which felt like 30 hours davy and gino got her on board a very nice girl at 171lbs and me a very happy man after a another few hours and gino losing one after ten minutes fighting:notworthy we gave up as the weather was to bad, as it was in the morning ,so no more fishing we said our thankyous to the skipper and headed for home i made a little diversion to see if etive was fishable and it was for surfing that is i turned around and headed for home tired,hungry and smelly but very happy

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well Done mate

cracking fish you got, wetted my appetite to give the skate a bash sometime this year but i think a couple of trips to the gym might be needed.

Well deserved fish.:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Great looking fish paul, I enjoyed the fight ( maybe I'm strange ) It's a great experience just to see a fish of such a size. I love it it has to be said.

Congrats on a good fish, was she a new tag or an old one?

Gutted for Gino though....shame you lost one... :(

Did you do and pollock fishing?

The darkside grows within this one...hehehehehehehehe

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i will enjoy the next one now i know what to do, i was just concentrating on not losing it she was already tagged aswell she took about 20 minutes to get moving and after that it was just a pulling contest ,exellent though many thanks to davey:notworthy

·
Registered
139 Posts
Lovely fish m8 must have a go at gettin one of those :clap3:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well done m8. Nice spur:clap3: and a very nice skate:clap2:

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
well done paul and a nice fish there a good weight cannay be denied where did ye catch the spurry are the marks still quiet just noo

·
Registered
155 Posts
glad to see that you finally got the the big one and i hope many more in the future. will seem a bit weak trying for the small speciece from the shore now you have had a monster.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
well done paul ,crackin fish there mate .

i would love to catch another skate too .

al

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well done paul ,crackin fish there mate .

i would love to catch another skate too .

al
i was hoping that sunday was going to be better but the weather was howlin man , craig has got back to me he is up for the sunart boats:)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wel done Paul thats a cracking fish mate. Gutted I didn't manage the trip being so close aswel but I managed a PB 11lb Spurry so all is not lost. Will definatly have to get out with Mr Holt sometime.
Neal
The SKink

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wel done Paul thats a cracking fish mate. Gutted I didn't manage the trip being so close aswel but I managed a PB 11lb Spurry so all is not lost. Will definatly have to get out with Mr Holt sometime.
Neal
The SKink
aye skink your getting closer:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy but my spurs just keep getting bigger the moray boys know how to catch fish alright pity about the weather it was crap on sunday

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
We went up and hid in the Quarry but it was pish. Every other mark Etive way was packed out. Some of Daz's marks too.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
well done paul , welcome to the darkside :ph34r: :victory: they are an awesome fish aint they ?:clap3: glad you got the chance to pop yer cherry :clap2: an crackin spurry aswell :clap3:

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

Ads the fish was already tagged, she was one of my pets :)

As for the fish that was lost, the point of the hook had turned and stuck into the head of a mackerel, so no matter how hard we tried there was no way it would hook the fish :( it was unfortunate but pretty much unavoidable with the way we were rigging the baits.

I had a venture out yesterday but the wind picked back up and we had to abandon it, just as well though the cooling pipe on the Port engine burst, causing the engine to overheat and melt the water trap :(

So the boat is now tied along side the pier with a rag stuffed up the exhaust pipe blocking it until i can source replacement parts :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just want to add that even seeing such a fish landed was an experience to remember....I helped to lift it on board and really felt the weight of it!! Losing one wasn't so bad....well I've stopped greetin' now anyway!! Thanks again to the King of Skate....Mr. Holt ....without his generosity none of it would have happened.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Well done Paul, great fish and good pics to... wish I could have come, maybe next time..

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

We will get another couple of trips sorted as soon as the boat is back up and running :) it may be short notice though.. depending on how things go :boat: :)

Neal.. that lenny one has tried to bribe me to make sure any skate you catch are smaller than his one :)

Gino.. yer 20 quid is in the post mate :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts