World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own and use one for towing and beach launching?
Our old trooper may be on deaths door (transmition) and been looking for a replacement. They seem to be very cheap and was wondering why, are they shite or just not fashionable?

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Oh god not the “ 4 wheel drive on the slip way “ debate again !!!

Land Rover V Land cruiser seems the main debate on here !!

I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee “Overland”, lovely cars but not sure about towing !!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee “Overland”, lovely cars but not sure about towing !!
That car looks like it has buck teeth and braces on. I know 4x4's are not noted for their beauty but come on. That car got beaten with the ugly stick

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
That car looks like it has buck teeth and braces on. I know 4x4's are not noted for their beauty but come on. That car got beaten with the ugly stick
Maybe from the front (and rear) but, inside they were very comfy and well kitted!!

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
That's what worries us. No excuse for Jeep ownership. None. Zip. Nadda. When the argument re Land Rover vs Land Cruiser pops up only the lunatic fringe wave the Jeep banner.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not worried bout looks lol
Will it tow nicely and not get stuck in mud on the beach ?

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
The question is will a Land Rover help get you out when stuck on the beach.
But you know, when a Land Rover stalwart starts moaning about their Jeep's reliability in the AA car reviews then you got to stop and take notice, cos my Landy is the best but she can eat money. Thats for sure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Great car for towing. I did own couple of Jeeps in the past (Cherokees, Grand Cherokees…) and friend of mine uses Patriot for towing regularly - no problems at all.
I. personally, use Mazda CX-5 for towing which is more expensive than Patriot but Jeep does its job much, much better, believe me.
You won’t go wrong buying Patriot at all BUT… it has to be in a good mechanical condition. If the engine is dry (no leaks) and sounds nice, transmission is OK go for it. The suspension tends to suffer some minor problems from time to time but everything suspension related is always easy fixable and not expensive.
For beach launching you gonna need good 4x4 tyres + obviously some 4x4 skills and thats it :)

Reactions: bigverne

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cant comment on the patriot but friend has had 2 wranglers which I have driven regularly.

Over 200,000 miles between them and besides service parts have only needed 2 sets brake discs, 1 turbo hose and 1 bonnet catch. So have been very reliable, comfortable and reasonably economical. Tows well and often used on a steep, slimy, pothole ridden slip with no issues.
Has towed to 2 LR's out off boggy ground and has flown up a steep muddy, shale hill that my series 3 and a land cruiser couldn't make.
A few beech launches with no hassle, not enough to pass an informed opinion though.

P.S. I'm generally anti America so it chocks me to sing there praise but they are good:mad2::mad2::mad2:

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Great car for towing. I did own couple of Jeeps in the past (Cherokees, Grand Cherokees…) and friend of mine uses Patriot for towing regularly - no problems at all.
I. personally, use Mazda CX-5 for towing which is more expensive than Patriot but Jeep does its job much, much better, believe me.
You won’t go wrong buying Patriot at all BUT… it has to be in a good mechanical condition. If the engine is dry (no leaks) and sounds nice, transmission is OK go for it. The suspension tends to suffer some minor problems from time to time but everything suspension related is always easy fixable and not expensive.
For beach launching you gonna need good 4x4 tyres + obviously some 4x4 skills and thats it :)
Look, for the new guy on the block this is not how you go about building your creds and rep. Learn a bit more inflexibility OK. Jeeps are crap, Land Rover is cool. Repeat that 50 times and take a paracetamol

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Cant comment on the patriot but friend has had 2 wranglers which I have driven regularly.

Over 200,000 miles between them and besides service parts have only needed 2 sets brake discs, 1 turbo hose and 1 bonnet catch. So have been very reliable, comfortable and reasonably economical. Tows well and often used on a steep, slimy, pothole ridden slip with no issues.
Has towed to 2 LR's out off boggy ground and has flown up a steep muddy, shale hill that my series 3 and a land cruiser couldn't make.
A few beech launches with no hassle, not enough to pass an informed opinion though.

P.S. I'm generally anti America so it chocks me to sing there praise but they are good:mad2::mad2::mad2:
Funny how everybody uses the term, "towed a few LR's or LC's out" to justify their choice while all they actually do is give a nod to the two that set the benchmark :whistling::thumbsup:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Haha, he asks about Patriot - not Land Rover. Can't comment about LR, maybe they are much better but this comoarison is pointless. I owned 5 Jeeps myself and had minor issues only.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts