World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Degrease the whole engine, takes a while to do.

Next bit takes even longer to clean up but never found a better way.

Fire it up.

Get a bag of cheepo flour and dust every joint, every fitting and every part using diesel. (Basically the whole engine) Hope you get lucky early on.

The flour will discolour immidately over the leak / s (there may be more than one)

Soz, best I can do, roll it in flour and go for the dough applies.

The constant course adjustments are par for the course

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Sounds like there could be something worn as you say. There are a lot of joints in the steering to allow for the range of movement.

Can you get a mate to operate the steering wheel and you feel what is happening at the outlet, put some pressure on the nozzle when your mate turns the wheel.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts

Not certain but I think you have a pump like this on your engine, Try changing the cam box oil. When used on the road these pumps had a drain tube to allow excess diesel fuel to drip, hence the black slippy bit in the centre of the carriagway, if you are a biker you will know what I mean. Also when you are ticking over does the engine hunt? a sure sign of no oil in the cam box. Do not be surprised or worried if you get pure diesel run out when you remove the drain plug. They need checking about every 8 hours running.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Are you sure that there is no drain plug as indicated on the drawing, the boost control pipe goes into the inlet manifold and the depression in that operates the boost control, alleged to prevent black smoke when opening throttle up, (not a very successful modification). Check that line for air leaks as well. Hope you find the gremlin soon. Did you want a photo of the rocker shaft I have going spare??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts