World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually use jotun seaforce 30 and have been very impressed.

Im just about to order some more ready for its new fresh coat but seems seaforce is not availble for the leisure boat user! You can only get it if you are trade or a commercial.

They have a antifoul which sounds simular, just wondered if anyone else has tried it and was it as good as the other jotun antifoul?

Its called mare nostrum antifoul.

I know i could try a different make but over the past 3 years ive been very impressed with jotun so hoping this will be the same.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Opps wrong section can it be moved to boat owning
we have used Jotun sea force sea queen for years, just had a word with SML, and they will not supply the likes of us any more, we have to be "commercial" outfits, I was assured that the new product is just as good, I asked for that in writing you can guess what the answer was.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have used Jotun sea force sea queen for years, just had a word with SML, and they will not supply the likes of us any more, we have to be "commercial" outfits, I was assured that the new product is just as good, I asked for that in writing you can guess what the answer was.
Will you be trying it??

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
I have just seen this and it makes me think too many people were buying the real deal stuff and getting a few years use out of it, now its the typical one year stuff

mmmm who do I know who does commercial stuff and could get me some?

ETEC

·
Registered
9,064 Posts
I have just tried to get my Sea Queen antifoul and get the boat done as its been out of the water a while and I cannot not buy the Jotun products as they say they are for commercial only.

Seems us leisure boaters are being stung again!

So with this what does anyone recommend for an antifoul which will last 3/4 years? please I do not fancy coppercoat.

ETEC

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Well, my recomendation would be Micron 77.

I have been using it for a couple of years and its crap.
Crap compared to an antifoul that does what I want... And that is to stop any marine growth at all including slime, but fantastic compared to other antifouls I have tried.
I used Jotun sea queen and compared to Micron 77 it doesnt even come close..
In fact my experiences of Sea Queen mean I would rather use Dulux Gloss.

I berth south coast..

Jotun Sea Queen would last a month in summer season before I noticed a slow down of a 100 to 200 revs.
6 months and I would be down 300 revs and speed would drop off quite noticeably.

Micron 77, and even with periods of non use you will not suffer any more than 150 revs drop in 8 months, and after a good run this will likely reduce further.

I reckon you guys who championed Jotun Seaqueen should be cheering the fact you cant get it anymore...
It will encourage people to try other antifouls and realise there is actually better stuff out there.

Micron 77 was developed for Bahamas etc and periods of long inactivity.
Its certainly rates as the best I have used, and seen.

Yard workers are always a good bet to chat to, and the guys I use agree with my findings that Micron 77 is certainly the best paint they have seen, although they will also tell you its the worst for painting on as its so thick... But like magic it levels off as it dries.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well ive bit the bullet and going to try this new jotun antifoul. Will be putting it on in next couple of weeks.

I understand that this antifoul is best to be applyed every season. Just a quick question if you put a good few coats on would it last longer than one season or is not as easy as that?

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Well ive bit the bullet and going to try this new jotun antifoul. Will be putting it on in next couple of weeks.

I understand that this antifoul is best to be applyed every season. Just a quick question if you put a good few coats on would it last longer than one season or is not as easy as that?

tHIS JUST WHAT MY OBJECTION IS, sea force 30 i.e. 30 months, and the 60 will work for 60 months. Jotun have shot themselves up the bum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts