World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a weeks fishing break down in very sunny Portland. I managed to meet up with Ian Houlton who without a shadow of a doubt is a total gent with a wicked sense of humour to boot. We met up on Saturday morning and Lisa cooked us a smashing fried breakfast to replenish me after my drive down, spot on it was too, the breakfast I mean not the drive! I then drove on to Portland and met up again later as arranged, where Ian then put me onto some good marks to try over the week.
Saturday evening then saw me try Chesil for the first time, after an hour I had not had a thing until a tiny knock then a good strong bite saw a scad on the beach, not particularly sort after but at least now I couldn't blank! A brace of mackerel took my bait on the retrieve a short while later and by about 10.30pm I was starting to wain, it had been a very early start that day and I was knackered.
Sunday Morning crept up on me, I had slept in despite the clog wearing seagulls! I got out of the house by about 9.30 and headed for Portland Bill. I tried spinning of varying types but to no avail so I went onto the float and managed to winkle out a small wrasse and what I think was a blenny ( I will check the I.D ) I fished on a while longer but had nothing else so I packed in headed for a bite to eat and to gear up for an evening session at Swanage, where I was to meet up with Ian and Andy (worzel). I was there first and set up at the agreed mark, the tide was coming nicely as Ian and Andy turned up and after some rather energetic al-fresco abolutionary activity from Ian (an old army trick I am told!) we got settled in for a good night fishing. Between us we had turbot (3), gurnard (1) Ray (2) pout (fekin loads!) Nothing of any real size but the weather was great and the craick even better.
Had a short daytime sesh on Chesil the next day to get some mackerel and threw out a good size crab bait while I was doing so but that didn't pay off so just mackerel to show.
I targeted Ferrybrige for two sessions after that, mainly spinning and plugging. The best results came to the 2oz dexter wedge cast behind the bridge pillars into the current and letting them drift while on the retrieve. I fished the fleet side and the harbour side of the bridge, I got plenty of bass nothing bigger than schoolies but still a brilliant time.
That evening saw me trying for conger at the cove, It was long night ! I lost loads of gear but I expected that, got loads of pout on the other rod and fed the crabs for hours before lazyness set in and I didn't change a snood that had been nipped a bit by the crabs. I had a savage bite that nearly pulled the rod rest over, a short fight later saw my biggest ever bass come to the shore, I was avoiding the floating pallets etc very well and was walking down to meet it, bringing the slack line as I did so, just a couple of pounds more pressure to beach it was needed but as I did so the snood pinged and my biggest ever bass swam away, not massive but I reckon about 3 to 4 pound, I was sick as a parrot but with only my own lazy ass to blame.
I stuck it out a while longer but nothing more came my way so after I packed up I went to rinse my hands and got a good old soaking up to the knees. I was only wearing boots/jeans so the walk back to the motor was nice !
Ian had been in Hospital that day and was out of action for a while so I decided to go and take care of some family stuff over in Salcombe which meant no fishing for day but the day after I was to fish anothet mark much further up Chesil, even with an Eye patch and no doubt a lot of discomfort, Ian was still prepared to meet up for a natter and put me on my way to some more fish, and he did just that ! I could not manage to get anything of any quality but gurnard,mackerel and scad all meant that yet again I had not blanked.
With the exception of another short session at ferrybridge, which resulted in my only blank of the week that was my last proper session.
I had a day off on Friday to do the tourist stuff and buy some presents etc, I wish I could have stayed longer, what a great place!
Heart felt thanks to Ian, your hospitality was astounding mate. Hope to fish with you and Andy again.
To Portland Jon, sorry I could not get in touch mate, I left your contact details at home but I will be back soon.
You are all bunch of lucky so and so's down there but a nicer bunch I have never met!
9 species but the the triggers, bream and smoothies eluded me. I will return!

·
Registered
223 Posts
sounds like you had a great time and you managed to cram in quite a bit ,shame about the bass but i think you have learnt a lesson.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like you had a great time and you managed to cram in quite a bit ,shame about the bass but i think you have learnt a lesson.
Aye, not much did I learn a lesson! but never mind eh. sh*t happens.
Really got a taste for it down there,the potential is enormous and I will deffo be back down, there are some big fish with my name on ! I have a few pics from my phone and I will put them on as soon as I find the bloody usb lead for it.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Very nice report that mate. :clap:

Unlucky on the bass......I think we have probably all put rigs out that we were not happy with occasionally; your tale of woe will hopefully encourage us all not to do it again.

Sounds like a thoroughly enjoyable trip and you got amongst the fish too. Can't be bad. :fishing:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
It was good meeting up pete and a shame I could not have fished more that week. You are welcome here whenever you want. The swanage session was about the most enjoyable fishing I have had and that feeder you had was very interesting indeed. (any chance you could let me know the pastics firm?)

I got told off cos of you mind. The Gurnard you brought here! I was told I should have cooked it for us before you left. sorry sport but there was only one throat that was going down.
October would be a good date for a return trip.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got told off cos of you mind. The Gurnard you brought here! I was told I should have cooked it for us before you left. sorry sport but there was only one throat that was going down

Dont feel bad mate, ya greedy swine! lol, hope it was tasty.

BTW, think I left that feeder with you, if you let me have the I.D and wall thickness I will be able to source it easy, diy is by far the best option, even a ham fisted git like me could Knock them up.

I will see what time I can arrange off work but October should be Ok for a long week end, I just need to save a bit of time for the wild boar.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Hello there Peeps . Well Mr B. Pete , can I ask a few questions ?
Did the fishing methods differ much , by that I mean how you fish up here to how you fished down there ? Was it all crab baits and squid , or was there any rag/lug being used ? I've been down there once before ,but never fished the beaches/ piers. So how would you compare it to up here ? Cheers !!

I'm off down there on Sat !:fishing:

I'll be happy with ANYTHING !!!

And, is there any digging down there ? or bait collecting from the beaches ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello there Peeps . Well Mr B. Pete , can I ask a few questions ?
Did the fishing methods differ much , by that I mean how you fish up here to how you fished down there ? Was it all crab baits and squid , or was there any rag/lug being used ? I've been down there once before ,but never fished the beaches/ piers. So how would you compare it to up here ? Cheers !!

I'm off down there on Sat !:fishing:

I'll be happy with ANYTHING !!!
No Probs mate,
I spent a small fortune on bait but on average the best performing bait over the whole week was mackerel. It took ray,pout, bass,turbot,mackerel and gurnard. I also took fish on rag tipped with mackie and frozen black lug and the pout will take owt! its a bit expensive feeding them crab! I had no joy with the smoothies but you will need crab for them to be in with a good chance.
Tactics wise, I stayed clear of the piers only because its all I bloody do (southshields). In general, two hook flappers or wessesx rig was the most productive and dont be afraid to to go well down on hook size. You will still need the good old pulley rig and a flowing rig is good to have in your wallet.
If you fish for the big fish you need to scale up of course and 2/0,3/0,4/0 is completely acceptable for the larger bass and smoothies.
My theory is that the small to medium baits will still catch the bigger fish as well but the largest of baits/hooks will only catch the bigger fish.
So if like me you prefer to something rather than nothing, thats what you do..............and of course stick the second rod out for the biggies!
we all want to catch a big un, anyone who say different is talking carp.
Feathering will give you aching arms, the mackerel are plentifull and walking far on chesil will give you aching legs!!! you will see what I mean when you get there, but it is all worth the effort. Grab a few of Ians (moonfleets) rigs if you have time, they will catch fish.
Chesil is realy steep and massive casts are not needed but experiment and see what you come up with. I hope you enjoy it mate, I am well envious.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mint report Pete,sounds like a really good adventure,ya dont need to catch big fish all the time,sometimes little ones are better,as they are more frequent,but also you caught a few different species,WELL DONE
Cheers for that Medlar,
I wish i did catch big uns all the time lol

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi,
Where did you fish in Swanage? I fancy having a go when I come down in September, I really fancy a turbot!
I usually make a couple of days down there each year, on Chesil but fancy something different. It's such a pleasant place!

Thanks

Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts