World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips as to what boaty things to look out for at boot sales as in things that are useful or might come in handy as i go to lots of boots and will go to the boat jumble in newhaven at the week end i was thinking of ropes odds and ends etc cheers andy

·
Banned
820 Posts
Hi Andy I guess you must have pretty good idea of what's needed by now for that boat you intend to purchase?
It's a pretty long list. It could take a few forum pages up!:g: :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello Andy

One tip, do not pay full price for anything...I bought a range of stuff from fire extinguishers to anchors and chain, and rope. I got around 25-33% off the shown prices. I paid far less than anything offered on eBay and the net.

Cheers

Pross

·
Registered
809 Posts
I wouldn't buy an extinguisher from a boot sale.They are cheap enough in Argos.Keep an eye on Aldi & Lidl they occasionaly sell boat equipment.They were doing a chain,anchor & I think 70 meters of rope for around £25 last year.But this was a regional offer mainly aimed at the north & south west of the country.But you could try the occasional boat jumble http://www.boatjumbleassociation.co.uk/ Steve

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Any stainless fittings you see cheap, d shackles, cleats, rollers, stainless nuts & bolts & woodscrews (you never have enough), always have a good old rummage through boxes that say "£5 the lot" I have had megs bargains out of them & always for £3-£4 never the fiver! Once had 5 stainless d shackles, 3 galved, 18 various diameter & length stainless bolts & threequarters of a box of Mustad 4/0 hooks, I could barely carry the box.:yeah:
So I bought another "bargain lot" for £3, which was in a polyprope type fibre sack, (brill fish bag still got it), so that I could carry the contents of the first!:yeah:
blueskip

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HI great thats great i now have some idea what to look for i suppose any thing that looks boaty and useful is the way to go cheers andy

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Well i went to the boat jumble today in Newhaven had a result.I wanted a new anchor rope so as i walked in I saw about a dozen stalls which looked like they were selling the contents of skips, and i thought `what a waste of time`
as i strolled around a box of 12mm nylon in a big knot caught my eye.I asked the seller how long it was and how much?,"it`s about 100m long and £35 "was his reply. It looked like it was longer to me so i parted with the cash (he wouldn`t take £30) and said i`ll pick it up on the way out.
Next i saw guy selling lead weights he made. Got three bags full of various sizes and shapes,watch leads,ball leads,drilled bullets, 4,6,8,10oz torpedos, what whould cost about £50 in a tackle shop for £10.
Got the rope back to the marina and after getting it untangled we streched it down the pontoon to find it was near a full 220m coil for £35, What a bargain!!!!:clap2:

I don`t know if you went Andy or what you got,but i know i came away happy.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts